{PLOG} Menghil's raiding party

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
rahziel
Slave on the Altar

{PLOG} Menghil's raiding party

Post by rahziel »

Okay so I've been gathering this Dark Elf army for over 5 years now. Once I got a unit of Cold One Knights for the Lizards to become Exodite mounts for my Eldar army... never really worked out, I liked the Druchii for their aestethics, so their numbers kept growing I guess :/.
Since I'm getting into warhammer fantasy again, I have dedicated myself to complete and to paint it. Most of it is still only base coated, save a unit or two. My sorcresses, though have gotten some attention. Dark Magic is what I want this mob to run on.

Nice detail is that I have got a unit of Menghil Manhide's Manflayers, an old Dogs of War unit. With their flayed skins as cloaks they look really awesome, so I would like to spend some time on them.

So this is what I've got:
5 sorcresses, one of which on a cold knight
1 assassin
16 darkshards
16 corsairs
5 dark riders
10 witches (7 1989 dark elf MM73 witch marauders)
5 cold one knights
1 cold one chariot
6 shades

So the Sorcresses are mostly painted allready, with purple being the main scheme. The darkshards, dark riders and cold ones are also mostly painted, but their theme is dark blue with chain mail and brass details. I would like these hues of dark blue and purple come together somehow, so I will probably adjust both a little.
Last edited by rahziel on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Payce
Executioner

Re: {PLOG} Menghil's raiding party

Post by Payce »

I can't even begin to express my envy at your Manflayers.

And I can't wait to see them painted. Will definitely keep two eyes on this thread.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

I echo Payce's envy! Been trying to get my hands on a set, or two, for years! Really looking forward to seeing what you do with them :)
rahziel
Slave on the Altar

Post by rahziel »

Thanks for your reply guys :) Due to a busy schedule, I haven't gotten the chance to paint any... so I will show you some examples of what I have painted so far.
When painting my sorcresses, it kind of got out of hand with the purpleness. I want to give them a wash of watered down Midnight Blue to give them a more nocturnal hue.

All of the skins I have given a basecoat of spacewolves grey with a diminutive drop of scab red (yes, I use old paints :p)
Over that, I drybrush some Elf Flesh. This for a nice pale and sickly appearance, for my Dark Elfies shun light and a lack of slaves saves them from good nutrion...
Still thinking about giving their skin a wash, any ideas or suggestions?

I have turned my house upside down, but failed to find my missing Dark Elfy bits. Mainly the lances and shields of my Cold One Knights, but also some of my Manflayer bits; as you can see, Menghil is missing his arms, same for some of his buddies :( I will keep on looking...
Attachments
Behold, my disabled Manflayers; a payback for having flayed their enemies maybe? Can't wait to paint the wretched withered faces on their cloaks!!
Behold, my disabled Manflayers; a payback for having flayed their enemies maybe? Can't wait to paint the wretched withered faces on their cloaks!!
When I saw this Avatars of War model in the store, I could not resist to buy her... She has convinced me to pick up painting my Dark Elfies again in the first place ;)
When I saw this Avatars of War model in the store, I could not resist to buy her... She has convinced me to pick up painting my Dark Elfies again in the first place ;)
I have had this Wood Elf Spellsinger for a few years, only basecoated. When browsing Sorcresses pictures, I stumbled upon someone who used her as one. Thus, I have been inspired to use her in my army. Nice when I decide to use the Lore of Life...
I have had this Wood Elf Spellsinger for a few years, only basecoated. When browsing Sorcresses pictures, I stumbled upon someone who used her as one. Thus, I have been inspired to use her in my army. Nice when I decide to use the Lore of Life...
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice start to the army. I really wish I had kept my Manflayers, way back when.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Really nice, I especially like the wood elf sorceress. Lovely colours on her. :) (Plus, this sorceress was my first model, so I guess I have a soft spot for her.)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
rahziel
Slave on the Altar

Post by rahziel »

Did the skins of my elfies. Showing the Manflayers as an example of what I did so far, the first real paint job I did on them.

I am doing the skincloaks next I think xD
Will keep you posted...
Attachments
Menghil's2.jpg
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Not a bad skin tone. Well done.
rahziel
Slave on the Altar

Post by rahziel »

Still thinking about putting a wash over their skin though :/
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

rahziel wrote:Still thinking about putting a wash over their skin though :/

Have you considered a heavily diluted Athonian Camoshade? I am thinking in the region of 4:1 Lahmian Medium to Athonian, basically making it coloured water. I personally find Athonian to be perfect for pale skin, both darkening the recesses as well as addind that pale hue from the subtle greenish tint.
rahziel
Slave on the Altar

Post by rahziel »

That's a nice idea. I only have some old paints, so a mixture of codex grey, came green and would be comparable? Because the back layer is kind of blue, I think I'd add a drop of blue ink as well.

Besides, I have thrown myself into the 1500 pts painting challenge xD Not necessarily to win but to share what I'm doing in general...