COB Charging out of Unit - Spacial Question

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

khadeorn
Slave (off the Altar)

COB Charging out of Unit - Spacial Question

Post by khadeorn »

So my buddy and I had a game yesterday and the following situation came up. Neither of us knew exactly how it should play out.

I had a COB in a witch horde and he threw his waywatchers out in front to slow them down. The COB was going to charge out of the unit into a unit off to the left. If you drew a line from the COB to the unit being charged, the COB would clear the waywatchers. However, how exactly does the COB exit the unit in order to complete the charge? If the cauldron has to have enough room in front of it to physically get out of the witch unit before wheeling, it would have clipped the waywatchers. Can the COB just exit from the corner of the witch unit? With what facing?

Thanks for your help!
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: COB Charging out of Unit - Spacial Question

Post by Thraundil »

Well this is a special case which is not clearly covered in the rulebook. Can a character wheel inside of its own unit? I've scanned the rule book and the errata, and found no clear answer. The only three restrictions that apply to "can I declare a charge" is: 1) line of sight 2) forward arc 3) the charge is actually possible. I believe it is number 3 that is in dispute here :)

I think that you can not declare the charge. I have no actual quote, as mentioned, other than that I played a tournament some time ago where I wanted to charge a single cold one master out of a cold one bus. The bus was blocked such that if I had to physically leave the unit before wheeling, I could not declare the charge with that particular master that I wanted to. But if I could wheel "inside" my unit, I could. I think the general ruling, after some debate, was that I could not charge. You have to first leave your own unit entirely, THEN wheel. And I think the cauldron is literally the only model that is big enough for this every to be a serious issue :P

But! Like I said, I have no actual rule quote on this. I, too, would like to have a definite answer to this question for next time I bring out the old cauldron....

But, nice trick on your part! I also used that trick against a wood elf opponent not too long ago. He blocked my horde with an eagle - far off to the side. My cauldron charged out of the unit solo, hammering into his character bunker and running it off the table :burns:
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

Good answer my man! Good tic tac too
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

See the FAQ.
WARHAMMER RULEBOOK Official Update Version 1.9 wrote:Q: Can a character ‘move through’ a unit he has joined when he leaves it (i.e. can he leave through the side or rear of the unit, measuring the move from his starting position)? (p101)
A: Yes.
That should allow the COB, which leaves the unit as a character, to wheel and 'move through' its unit, and clear past the waywatchers.
So I'd say that the charge was possible indeed - and that Thraundil was cheated a charge during his tourney.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

Calisson wrote:See the FAQ.
WARHAMMER RULEBOOK Official Update Version 1.9 wrote:Q: Can a character ‘move through’ a unit he has joined when he leaves it (i.e. can he leave through the side or rear of the unit, measuring the move from his starting position)? (p101)
A: Yes.
That should allow the COB, which leaves the unit as a character, to wheel and 'move through' its unit, and clear past the waywatchers.
So I'd say that the charge was possible indeed - and that Thraundil was cheated a charge during his tourney.

I ended up charging with another master and he rolled boxcar twice on his break test subsequently, so I think it worked out alright :p

That being said though - nice find. I only looked through charge ammendments, didnt think to look for simple "character movement" clarifications. So - the charge is good! The virtual wheels rule ;)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
khadeorn
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by khadeorn »

Thanks for the replies, gents! Learned something new!