New Player - Army Questions

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

New Player - Army Questions

Post by DonarrKingsbane »

I'm just starting out with Warhammer and I'm looking to play Dark Elves. Considering the costs of paints, glue, tools, and rulebooks, I only have about $170 for troops right now, so I was thinking a warhost of Naggaroth. The forums seem to agree that 20 Darkshards w/ shields is solid, as well as units of 10 corsairs w/ two weapons. Cold One Knights are good too. I'm wondering about the fleetmaster and chariot though. Is the fleetmaster a good hero, or should I get another lord? Also, is a cold one chariot or a scourgerunner chariot better for this type of army?
There are 300 ninjas hidden in this signature. Can you find them all?
41spoons
Trainee Warrior

Re: New Player - Army Questions

Post by 41spoons »

Hey and welcome! I'm new myself so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As far as the warhost, 20 darkshards with shields is probably the strongest build and what I would recommend. I think the cold one chariot is the way to go on that front. If you plan on buying more corsairs, AHW is very good when a sorceress buffs you or hexes the enemy. With just 10, I like the handbow set up, for a mobile screen unit that can clear chaff, stand and shoot, etc. That is if you don't plan on purchasing more corsairs. Too many corsairs with handbows seems unnecessary, especially when darkshards do it better. Fleetmaster is just not that good. Buy a cheap sorceress on foot and run her as any level (1-4). That model will most likely end up in any list you write.

But ask yourself why you want to play dark elves in the first place. For example, both of my current lists don't use any of the models from the warhost box, my core are dark riders and witches. That makes the warhost a bad buy for me. So pick a unit or two, and build around that. If you think you want a fat unit of cold one Knights and a bunker of darkshards, go for it! The warhost would be great for you. If not, grab what unit you like and build around it.

Have fun, and let me know if you have any questions!
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

DonarrKingsbane wrote:I'm just starting out with Warhammer and I'm looking to play Dark Elves. Considering the costs of paints, glue, tools, and rulebooks, I only have about $170 for troops right now, so I was thinking a warhost of Naggaroth. The forums seem to agree that 20 Darkshards w/ shields is solid, as well as units of 10 corsairs w/ two weapons. Cold One Knights are good too. I'm wondering about the fleetmaster and chariot though. Is the fleetmaster a good hero, or should I get another lord? Also, is a cold one chariot or a scourgerunner chariot better for this type of army?

Let's get straight to the point. Fleetmaster is absolutely the worst hero in the army book. Go with a generic lord or hero that you kit out for yourself. No reason why you could not use the model itself though to save buying another Lord.

20 shards is a solid investment, however I would suggest using them as two separate units of ten. This then allows you to choose different targets rather that having to fire solely at one target.

Corsairs are a good all round choice, not quite as good as Witches in melee but more survivable getting there. Good for a new player.

CoK's again are a useful unit, as they hit hard on the charge, but really need a little babysitting at times by either the General or BSB due to the stupidity.

I would suggest that the COChariot might serve you better to start with, if you are just starting the game. SRunner tends to need a little more experience to get the best out of it.

On top of the Warhost. I would suggest if the budget stretches the next investments should be a couple of boxes of Dark Riders / Warlocks and a couple of Repeater Bolt throwers. That would give you a nice rounded army to start playing with.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well Amboadine beat me to most of the things I was going to say aside from:
- If you model the Corsairs with handbows, they tend to be good stand in models for Shades. But a unit of 20 Corsairs with a combat character (7x3 formation) is a fair combat unit.
- I would recommend the cold one chariot unless you model all your infantry as missile troops (Darkshards and Corsairs). The Chariot is best paired with combat infantry. Without combat infantry, the Scourgerunner will likely serve you better.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

Thanks for the advice, especially about the fleetmaster. I think I'll field the corsairs in one large unit with dual hand weapons, so I have some melee troops that are fair at combat. Since I'm doing that, I think I'll build the cold one chariot based on your advice. For the lord I think I'll get a dreadlord on cold one and add him to the cold one knights unit. I'd give the knights a standard and musician, possibly full command for one other unit.
DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

Also I will assemble the Darlkshards as two units for more targets like you said, and probably the next purchase will be a bolt thrower. Those things are wicked.
DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

Actually I'd probably throw a sorceress on cold one in the unit too, if the rules allow for that, which I'm pretty sure they do.
DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

The fleetmaster I'd just throw in the corsairs unit.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

DonarrKingsbane wrote:Actually I'd probably throw a sorceress on cold one in the unit too, if the rules allow for that, which I'm pretty sure they do.

They do :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

Okay, spot check.
Melee Infantry: 1 unit of 20 corsairs, full command
Ranged Infantry: 2 units of 10 Darkshards with shields and full command
Cavalry: 1 unit of cold one knights, full command
War Machine: cold one chariot
Hero: dreadlord on cold one
Mage: sorceress on cold one
Looks good.
Yes, I know it might be a bit much to give everything full command but this is a relatively small army right now and even when I have more units I just generally play elite squads/armies in wargames.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I wouldn't give suchsmall units of darkshards the full command. If you ever expand the units with more models, you can add the command in later. They could both use a musician though, for reforming purposes.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Daeron wrote:I wouldn't give suchsmall units of darkshards the full command. If you ever expand the units with more models, you can add the command in later. They could both use a musician though, for reforming purposes.

I can see the argument both ways, but I often do full command on my 10Xshard units. You don't really want them to see combat, but in this game you never know. "The best laid plans of mice and dreadlords..." and all that.

If they do see melee, you'll appreciate the +1 combat res from the banner at least, even if you don't care about the champion. With shields and a parry save, you'll find they can survive it a lot better than most people usually assume for a ranged attack unit.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

DonarrKingsbane
Slave on the Altar

I would run the army with the knights, chariot, and corsairs going guerilla, quickly attacking a unit and pulling back as soon as it's destroyed. The two shard regiments would move up like a shield wall. The theory is that the shards can support all the skirmishers from afar, and the skirmishers can always fall back and protect the shards if they are in danger. The shields and command will hopefully allow them to survive melee combat long enough for the knights or chariot to arrive and charge the rear of the enemy unit. There are ways to stop it, but it should work against my friend, who's starting with Durthu and some dryads.
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Ooh! Make sure one of the shards units is shooting flaming arrows then! :)