Schism20's Druchii

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Schism20's Druchii

Post by Schism20 »

Hi,
I've recently decided to collect a Dark Elf army so I can start playing Fantasy again. I picked Dark Elves because I love their fluff, their models and the amounts of variety in the army book.
I haven't played Fantasy properly for maybe 5-6 years so this will be somewhat of a learning experience.
So far I've picked up the army book and a Sorceress which I spent the night painting. Here she is;

[imgImage][/img]

As you can see for basing I'm going with snowy as I want to depict a winter invasion force. For colour scheme I'm thinking of mainly blues for the armour/cloth, similar to one of the examples in the army book ( I forget which page).

Next up I'll be picking up the Naggaroth invasion force box and setting to work on some Darkshards.

Cheers.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Schism20's Druchii

Post by Calisson »

Welcome Schism20 to D.net!
Impressive quality of flesh, leather and cloth. :P
Only the metal might be somehow too shiny but that could be because of the camera's flash.
With such talents, the P&M forum will be glad to have you join them.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice paint job.
MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

Flesh and cloth are insanely well done! The placement of highlights and tones in each are just top notch. Also, the placement of highlights on those boots are excellent. Wow! I can't wait to see more!
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Expert painting on flesh and clothes. Certainly admirable. I do think giving the bra, belt, headpiece and staff a bit more details and contrasts would help to make her stand out.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

pretty incredible, good effort! i'd like to see what your rank-n-file painting is like and see how much of a drop-off there is. because that kind of thing would take me a very very long time, if indeed i could do it in the first place anyway. top class: A+
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

That' a great look Sorceress! The cloth looks exceptionally well done. I cant wait to see more of your work!

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

The work you've done on the flesh is pretty much exactly what I aspire to. Very well done. I happen to like the "extra shiny" nature of the metal on this mini - it makes it look like very polished chrome, which on this type of character works. I don't think it would look right on rank and file. I personally wouldn't change a thing.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate you taking the time to leave me some feedback. :)

Expert painting on flesh and clothes. Certainly admirable. I do think giving the bra, belt, headpiece and staff a bit more details and contrasts would help to make her stand out.

I think you're right about the lack of details on certain areas. I wanted the metal to look bright but cold which is why I shaded those areas with blue but I don't think the depth is quite there. Something to go back and fix later on .

pretty incredible, good effort! i'd like to see what your rank-n-file painting is like and see how much of a drop-off there is. because that kind of thing would take me a very very long time, if indeed i could do it in the first place anyway. top class: A+

I'll hopefully be painting a test model for my Darkshard tonight so I'll get some pic up later if I can. ;)

Right, time to get putting that Warhost of Naggaroth box together.
faeli-n
Black Guard

Post by faeli-n »

What's the flesh recipe? Love it :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I love the shading, especially the cloth, but the flesh is superb too. Only thing, some lines in her face make her look rather old for me, but apart from that detail (and it's probably just me) she's perfect. I can't wait to see more from you, it's bound to be real eyecandy.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
With hatred ...
Black Guard

Post by With hatred ... »

Lovely paint job on that sorceress
Silvershadow
Warrior

Post by Silvershadow »

Wonderful job, love the highlight work on the skirt and boots in particular.
8th edition Dark Elf book: 11-1-5 before I lost track

All hail the Eternity King!
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

What's the flesh recipe? Love it :)

I basecoat with Bugman's Glow and then layer on Cadian Fleshtone. For the shading I use Guiliman blue and Bloodletter glazes to add some depth and warmth to the skin, focussing on areas such as the model's cheeks and stomach for the blue and the nose, lower lip and areas such as the recesses of the joints (like the elbow join) for the red glaze.
After that's done and I've tidied up any mistakes I highlight with Kislev flesh covering most of the raised areas, followed by a highlight of Kislev flesh and Screaming skull mix. I finish the highlights with pure Screaming Skull.

I love the shading, especially the cloth, but the flesh is superb too. Only thing, some lines in her face make her look rather old for me, but apart from that detail (and it's probably just me) she's perfect. I can't wait to see more from you, it's bound to be real eyecandy.

I can see what you mean ( the cheek and eyebrow shading right?) and it's something I'm hoping to fix for my next Sorceress and/or Witch Elves. Thanks for the feedback. :)
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Welcome to D.net!
That model looks ace, especially like the fleshtone and the cloth. Great color scheme :D
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

Welcome to D.net!
That model looks ace, especially like the fleshtone and the cloth. Great color scheme :D

Thanks. :)

Finished 5 Darkshards today. I've tried to replicate the Ghrond colour scheme from the army book as I love the two-tone blue scheme. I think they came out alright though as usual my photography is lacking. :P
Anyway, here they are:

I have a small 1,000pt game scheduled with a mate on Thursday so I'll likely be spending the week getting the rest of my models assembled but may get time to get some more paint down.

Cheers.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice distinctive colour scheme.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Great detail on the faces :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

Great job on the sorceress, I keepopening this page, reading the recipe for the skin but keep thinking how has it actually be done as I stare at my sorceress too scared to paint it. Also love the blue, and the wet snow you have on your bases. I've done dry snow before on my ogres but want to do a more icy water snowy rocky theme for my dark elves, I'd love to know how you did the snow.
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

Great job on the sorceress, I keepopening this page, reading the recipe for the skin but keep thinking how has it actually be done as I stare at my sorceress too scared to paint it. Also love the blue, and the wet snow you have on your bases. I've done dry snow before on my ogres but want to do a more icy water snowy rocky theme for my dark elves, I'd love to know how you did the snow.

The snow is just GW modelling snow mixed with PVA glue. This is the first time I've mixed the two after reading about it online. To get a wetter look you are supposedly meant to use more glue than snow in the mix. ;)
The mixture is really gloopy and can be a bit difficult to contol and apply with a brush but it looks good enough in the end.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Schism20 wrote:I can see what you mean ( the cheek and eyebrow shading right?) and it's something I'm hoping to fix for my next Sorceress and/or Witch Elves. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Yes, that's what I meant, but it's just a tiny thing, so don't really worry. The model is ace. :)
I really like the darkshards, especially when seeing them together with the sorceress. Great colour scheme! :) And those bases are simply awesome, thanks for sharing the recipe.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

Spent the week getting most of my stuff assembled and also picked up quite a big lot of used Dark Elf models from a bloke at my local club which I've begun to strip. There are a lot of classic metal models in there including Malus on foot and Mounted, a metal BSB, 48 Corsairs, 25 Witch Elves, some really old school Executioners/Black guard, Bolt Throwers, Cold One Knights and Chariots.
Pretty excited about getting everything sorted as I now have a fairly large army.

Painting wise I've finished a test model for my Knights and was hoping for some feedback, in particular on whether the green Cold One fits with my blue colour scheme on the Knight himself.
Pics-

Not sure how much I'll get done over the coming weeks as I'm going down to Warhammer World at the end of Feb with some mates and really need to get in gear with painting my Blood Angels for that weekend.

Cheers.
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Super painting - as everyone else has said, the flesh on the sorceress is wonderfully well done. Really interesting to hear how you use the glazes. I love the little gold corner of her cloak too - lovely detailing. Nice work on the striped Cold One too - keeping the colours distinct through shading and highlights must have been a complex task - great execution.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice Cold One. The stripes are a good addition.
Duffman327
Executioner

Post by Duffman327 »

I love it. I love how you have highlighted the black as well, but The snow isn't looking too convincing IMO. What are you using for snow?
I am the Silent Wind of Doom... Whoosh!