4000 point games vs. Dwarfs - best magic lore to take?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

toots
Beastmaster

4000 point games vs. Dwarfs - best magic lore to take?

Post by toots »

Playing at warhammer world on the 31st - I don't want to take death magic though. My list has a big cold one unit which I do NOT want to see get mashed up by great weapons - so I'm thinking I might take shadow to get enfeebling and also some of the initiative-based spells. Mindrazor on the corsairs?!
Last edited by toots on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSupremePatriarch
Executioner

Re: 4000 point games vs. Dwarfs - best magic lore to take?

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

Having a quick look at this, I'd just say for the lore I always go with Shadow. It compliments DE perfectly, you can use shooting and Doombolt from Warlocks to do damage, Soulblight and Withering to make damaging easier.

Hope that helps
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Please don't present your list like this - it hurts the eyes and takes forever to try to analyze (which is why you probably haven't had many comments back yet). I know it's easy to make a list using army building tools like battlescribe, but just copying and pasting its output raw into the message box doesn't help (we don't need a list of which special rules each model and unit has done line by line, for example, it just makes your list look dense and inaccessible. Similarly, we don't need a full run down of every special rule that your army list has after the actual roster itself).

I would go for lore of life because it will be great for helping keep those witch elves alive and it's always fun to play with T7 elves that get resurrected when they die. It is an incredibly powerful lore against armies that use missile weapons and artillery to deplete their adversaries (such as most dwarf lists) because it limits the impact of their shooting and regrows any damage that they do manage to inflict. An S5 organ gun does a lot worse against T5 or T7 elves than it does against T3 ones!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Metal and shadow are both good against dwarves. It might not matter if they go heavy on anti-magic, because you won't get much off.

I will also echo Red - don't post lists like that. I didn't even read it.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Tidy up your list a little. This battlescribe copy paste is really hard to read..

Shadow and heavens are good picks against dwarves. Shadow has its known benefits, but less used heavens is really great against gunline, almost every spell, even windblast, is useful. S6 missiles with extra hits wreck one gyrocopter on average. Comet and chain lightning hurt, blizzard is golden for defence. Wind blast can drop war machines off the hill, and if it loses its line of sight to all targets, its useless.

Plus cheap casting and great ranges!!
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

yeah i tidied it up alright. still loving that battlescribe!

i hear you Ajattaro! the comedy element in wind blasting a cannon off a hill really appeals to me on so many levels (hang on - is there a pun there?!). only 24" range though, but i guess i could do it first turn if i was lucky. playing on the gates of numas table at WHW so i doubt his cannons will be located up high. the prospect of -D3 ballistic skill to his cannon crew tickles me something wicked (48" range), so i think i may just plump for shadow. yeah... comet sounds a good one though, and pit of shades invariably scatters 6" the wrong way for me... tough one. life would be cool but i find it difficult to get my head round it fluff-wise. death is maybe a bit too cynical, but then if i'm intending to PoS my opponent then maybe i'm a bit hypocritical. actually sod it - i've got harpies and dark riders (remember my eyesore of a list?! ;) ) to screen the cold ones (-2 hard cover thank you very much) so rather than going for the -D3 ballistic skill, i will go for heavens! plus the lore attribute will be handy in dealing with the gyrocopters and bombers.

cheers!
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

Against Dwarves?

Really bake his noodle and take no magic aside from Warlocks. You'll have made his antimagic stuff a lot less useful.
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Vulcan wrote:Against Dwarves?

Really bake his noodle and take no magic aside from Warlocks. You'll have made his antimagic stuff a lot less useful.

Hahaha, but I see really strong tailoring immoral :D. I always tend to do allrounder lists with maximum of little tweaks here and there.

All in all against dwarves the main problem is getting right spells through. At that points level you really need lot of powerdice and good variety of spells. You could maybe go even 2 supreme sorceresses but then dagger and other power fuel is necessary. Warlocks spells are somewhat good against dwarves, but best thing they have against them is M9 and 4++
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

Against Dwarfs I quite often just ditch magic and bring a couple units of Warlocks. If you get a spell off, great. But for the cost of a Wizard you've got a whole unit of extra points to play with. And if he's sunk points into tons of anti-magic, those become wasted points.

Against Dwarfs I like Heavens magic. Use Wind Blast to push his War machines around so he can't shoot, drop comets, lighting bolts which are really fun for dropping Gyrocopters, chain lighting to rip up multiple units...it's a surprisingly useful lore.
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Death is really nice, Sun, doom and darkness, and snipes are really nice.
Also known as Kanadian
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Ajattaro wrote:
Vulcan wrote:Against Dwarves?

Hahaha, but I see really strong tailoring immoral :D.

You can fluff your way right around that. If I'm setting sail with a black ark for Brettonia, I can have a pretty fair idea that I'm going to have to fight Brettonians when I get there. If I send a raiding force into the Dwarven lands, chances are they're going to come across some Dwarves.

That being said, a Dark Elf general that knows that and DOESN'T tailor his forces accordingly is being wasteful with the Witch King's resources, and as such is deserving of heavy punishment. :)

No pressure, though. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

I miscast comet in the first turn and promptly disappeared into the void! Caused carnage when it landed though!

Anyway I basically just used all my models. It was at warhammer world in Nottingham. Unprompted a member of staff came over and basically confirmed that lizardmen were disappearing. But added that they werent going to piss everyone off and that "rumours were just rumours". I was too busy setting up 4000pts to ask any other questions - I'll see what my friend remembers of it.
toots
Beastmaster

Post by toots »

yeah i got nuthin' for ya. save that apparently the guy was winking a bit and saying that the lizards were "going into space". my friend thinks he was hinting at them being moved into 40k but that's just mental. i am the worst rumour-monger EVER.