Wrathbaby's PLOG

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Wrathbaby's PLOG

Post by Wrathbaby »

There must come a time in every hobbyist's life when he finally decides that he must paint his models. And that time has come. Progress on this will probably be remarkably slow because I'm a horribly lazy painter, but I'm hoping that this will motivate me to get some stuff done on a fairly regular basis.

So to start: My assembled and soon to be sprayed black guard and cold one chariot (soon to have two more buddies hopefully)

ImageImage

Coming soon: Lion Chariots, Dragon Princes, Darkshards (10 of which are actually closeish to being finished), Corsairs, Witches, more CoC's, Loremaster of Hoeth, the IoB griffon noble, some glade riders, and a mounted noble

Also if I screw anything up with regards to image uploads, no offense will be taken if mods have to fiddle around with things. I am aware that I generally suck at this sort of thing having never done it before except one time on ulthuan.net but that went wrong too.

EDIT: removed the excessively large image, wasn't that important anyway
Last edited by Wrathbaby on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"When it comes to besting the enemy, there's no such thing as 'overkill.'" - Good ol' Master Bronk

Also here's a PLOG: http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=76272
Payce
Executioner

Re: Wrathbaby's PLOG

Post by Payce »

I love how you've used the Draich for the Black Guard champion. It certainly sets him apart more than that puny pointy finger.
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

I'm glad someone appreciated that :') I took one look at the tooth pick that he was supposed to be equipped with and knew that something had to be done about this madness
"When it comes to besting the enemy, there's no such thing as 'overkill.'" - Good ol' Master Bronk

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Hmmm, pictures are not showing up for me, may just be work laptop so will try again at home.

As for uploading pictures, take a look in this thread for options.

http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440

Personally I just created a free account at Photobucket. You can upload your pictures directly from any networked device and once there you even get supplied a link to directly paste into the forum reply box. See below picture.
Attachments
Capture1.JPG
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Huh, that's cool. I had an imageshack account from a while back and it's only £2ish per month to keep it premium, so I just upgraded that. My main concern was that I seem to have a habit of messing up with regards to the size of the image (as evidenced by the second picture in my original post !lol! )

On another note, black guard, dragon princes, chariots, glade riders and darkshards are currently sat out in the garden drying off having been sprayed. Moving back up to uni in about two hours and then I'll get me some painting done :D probably starting with the griffon prince as I started him a while ago and never got around to finishing him off.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Pictures work perfectly on my phone. I will blame the security settings at work.
Units look great.
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Okay so here we have a hurriedly painted blackguard, kind of a test model. Wasn't sure if my colour scheme would look good on anything other than corsairs, but I think it looks okay. The basing will take a bit more work, but I wanted to get some photos up quickish so I can get back to struggling with chemistry revision.

Front (with and without flash):
ImageImage
Back (with and without flash):
ImageImage
Sides:
ImageImage

Hopefully the entire unit should be done by the end of the month. I also have 10 darkshards that are close to completion so I'll try and get a few pictures of them up later :D
Last edited by Wrathbaby on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

I can't see any of your images :(
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

MangoPunch wrote:I can't see any of your images :(

I had the same issue yesterday, may be security settings or IE version. Great on Chrome for example. Works perfectly for me on some platforms, but not others.

Models look great. Nice classic colour scheme.
Thetosh
Black Guard

Post by Thetosh »

Nice looking blackguard, I especially like the colour of the cloak, and the gold work. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Not sure what's happening with regards to people having problems viewing the images on some devices, do these problems occur with other images on this forum on those devices?

On another note, work has begun on the griffon noble, here's some work in progress shots:

ImageImageImage

Eventually aiming for all the greys to be white, also going to redo the armour on the noble to break up the gold a bit. This guy was started a while ago as part of a high elf army with a different colour scheme.

Also thanks for the compliments :)
Last edited by Wrathbaby on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Griffon is edging ever closer to completion. This time he has two wings! One of which is only half done. The areas that look white in the photos are in fact a very light grey. They're gonna be highlighted with an even lighter grey and then finally done with white, hopefully it should lend some definition to the feathers which are looking a bit flat at the minute. Does anyone have any experience with drybrushing feathers? I'm considering drybrushing all of them with white to bring out some definition but I don't want to risk ruining the painting I've done so far.

ImageImage

Beginning to wonder if I may have overdone the colour on the wings... *shrug* it looks pretty. Hopefully the next time I upload photos of this it will be finished. Maybe even with a finished base.
Last edited by Wrathbaby on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MangoPunch
Noble

Post by MangoPunch »

I can see on my iPad!!!! That champion looks quite solid! I think if you apply some washes, it will tone down the wing contrast and give the feathers more depth. I'd do it with a blue gray wash. We'll done so far, keep it up :)
-JGB

Group 42 - Harkyl Anroc - Shade
WS: 5 / S: 2 / T: 2 / D: 5 / I: 5
Equipment: Staff, Throwing Knives
Inventory: Mysterious Map
Skills: Awareness, Basic Stealth, Defensive Fighting
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Griffon noble looks stunning!

Very unconventional, yet organic, colour scheme.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

NIce update. Great work on the Griffon.
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

So, after a hellish week of exams, some painting has finally been done. Got bored of the griffon so started on a cold one chariot.

The banner may receive some freehand treatment one day, after I've practiced on some models that I don't really like.

ImageImage

Quite happy with this one, wasn't too sure at first but after it was based I feel a lot better about it.

Also, at some point in the future, this plog is going to see a skaven incursion. Goddamn end times, those rats seem to be popping up all over the place...

Most likely next update will be infantry of some kind, maybe black guard.
Last edited by Wrathbaby on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

General Kael
Shade

Post by General Kael »

I'm on my PC and cant see your images :( other posts are fine... I wonder if I need an apple product to view them?
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Some lovely work on the Cold Ones.
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Cold ones look very nice, excellent job so far :)
Keep em coming.
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

Love the Black Guard and the chariot is really well done!! 8)

Not a big fan of the patchwork griffon look though, but that's personal taste ..
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

I really like the blue-green mix on the cold ones, it looks very realistic. Great work! :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Thank you all for the kind words :)

Just wondering if anyone could think of a reasonable point limit to complete per week? Struggling to motivate myself without a clear goal in mind. I was thinking approx 150 points but then that would take me 20 weeks to get my entire army done and that would feel like too long :(

direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Points aren't a good way to judge imo. Why would it be less of an accomplishment to finish 20 crossbowmen than it would be to finish 20 black guard?
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Because I already have 10 crossbowmen practically finished ;D

But I do see your point... I could set a certain model count per week, with chariots counting as more than one, 10 maybe? And cavalry would be two... This painting business is hard.

Wrathbaby
Dark Rider

Post by Wrathbaby »

Okay I warned you all that this was coming. Today I met up with a friend who has been trying to sell his army for some time. For a princely sum of £120 I received the following:

240 clanrats, 9 rat ogres & 4 (maybe 5) packmasters, 10(ish) weapons teams, 2 doomwheels, 1 warp lightning cannon, 9 or so cheiftain/warlord models, 1 grey seer, 1 ickt claw, 18 gutter runners, skaven army book, another pocket rulebook, a lot of very nice green and gold dice, 9 citadel paints, can't remember which ones, a few brushes, and more importantly, a lovely box.

So from now on, various skaven bits and bobs will be popping up every now and again. (Unfortunately the ickt claw model is already painted and it's quite nice so I'm not going to repaint it, as much as I would love to :( but pictures will be up soon )