[PLOG] Dark Elves CHARGE!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

[PLOG] Dark Elves CHARGE!

Post by Carsenik »

So I wanted to share and keep track some of the painting and hobby that I have done. I am still new to warhammer i think. I have started maybe 1 year ago but only played a about 10 games.

I have got a bunch of models together and they are prime red but haven't painted much of it yet. I finished my Dark riders and would like to share that they are like.

I know its not the best, but i am still learning.
Attachments
IMG_0349.jpg
Dark Riders
Dark Riders
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: [PLOG] Dark Elves CHARGE!

Post by Gidean »

Looks good! I'd give a blast of dullcote to take off the shine though. :)
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Coming together nicely, good work. Have to a agree that the cloak looks very shiny.
Heartsbane
Executioner

Post by Heartsbane »

Regarding the dullcote, there are (at least) two schools of thought on that. It's pretty widely accepted that gloss gives the best protection to your paintwork, but what to do after that?

Some like the gloss finish (and it's possible the bright lighting that makes photos look better also makes the gloss more pronounced than it is under normal lighting conditions).

Some like to use a spray of matt varnish to take the shine off.

I like to use brush on matte varnish to take the shine off. It takes longer than using a spray, and needs re-touching every once in a while, but it's still fast (I did my whole dark elf army in a night) and I've never once had it go cloudy or gone on too thick (rathar sometimes I have put it on too thick, but as it dries slower I've been able to remedy this before it's too late!); both of these have happened to me with sprays, ruining in seconds hours worth of painting.
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

Heartsbane wrote:Regarding the dullcote, there are (at least) two schools of thought on that. It's pretty widely accepted that gloss gives the best protection to your paintwork, but what to do after that?

Some like the gloss finish (and it's possible the bright lighting that makes photos look better also makes the gloss more pronounced than it is under normal lighting conditions).

I like to use brush on matte varnish to take the shine off. It takes longer than using a spray, and needs re-touching every once in a while, but it's still fast (I did my whole dark elf army in a night) and I've never once had it go cloudy or gone on too thick (rathar sometimes I have put it on too thick, but as it dries slower I've been able to remedy this before it's too late!); both of these have happened to me with sprays, ruining in seconds hours worth of painting.

Actually I did use a Vallejo matte varnish on them. And they look shiny, so I may need to change. I will be posting some other pictures soon.
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Carsenik wrote:
Heartsbane wrote:Regarding the dullcote, there are (at least) two schools of thought on that. It's pretty widely accepted that gloss gives the best protection to your paintwork, but what to do after that?

Actually I did use a Vallejo matte varnish on them. And they look shiny, so I may need to change. I will be posting some other pictures soon.

Matte is not the same as Flat.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

I tried and didn't like the result of brush on matte varnish.
I have been using Vallejo varnishes with airbrush and getting satisfying results so far. First gloss (a bit of thinning down is required) and then matte.
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

Here the couple of pics of my second group of Dark Riders. These I call the Axe Gang. I still have a couple this to finish up, but will post the finished product soon.

As for the glossy look, I looked up if others had the same issues, and what i found works with Vallejo Matte, is that you need to shake the hell of the of bottle and then water it down just a little and will the matte it out a lot better. I was able to take the gloss look off the previous models.
Attachments
DR2.jpg
DR 1.jpg
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice update. Pace is progressing and they are looking good.
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

Here is some Executioners that I finished tonight. I haven't put any finish on them yet, but I think this is what I want all 30 to look like. 6 down 24 to go. I am always good for suggestions as well.
Attachments
Exe 3.jpg
Exe 2.jpg
Group of 6
Group of 6
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Not being sure which finishing touches you will be adding, I don't want to say too much :)
As a base, everything looks fine, would suggest some shading or ink for the mask to give definition to the recesses, and maybe a slightly dark shade of gold where it meets the rest of the model. Oh and a base of course.
This may already be in your list of finishing touches, but so far, so good.
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

I haven't posted in a long while, but i have been painting. I wanted to upload some of the stuff I have painted.

Cauldron of Blood
Cauldron of Blood
Cauldron of Blood

Warlocks - I got two units of 5 done
Doomfire Warlocks
Doomfire Warlocks

Repeater Bolt thrower - I did two of these, still need to buy 2 more.
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Good update, nice to see you are still going. :)
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

Black Dragon
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

10885559_377711305738727_5526157735491686641_n.jpg

Dark Pegasus
Dark Pegasus
Dark Pegasus
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Very nice 8)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

Forest
Forest
Forest

My Gaming table - I built all the terrain myself. This took a lot of time from painting my army.
My Gaming Table
My Gaming Table
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Nice table. Beats my green cloth with books :)
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Heartsbane wrote: both of these have happened to me with sprays, ruining in seconds hours worth of painting.

Want to REALLY know how to ruin hours worth of painting in seconds? Grab the wrong spray can, and put a nice fresh spray of primer over a finished mini when you meant to do matte varnish.

I had a friend do that not once but TWICE with the SAME miniature. After seeing that I am very careful to check and recheck the can before I press the nozzle. Like the carpenter's rule, "measure twice and cut once". This is "check can twice, spray once." :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Super figures - yet I particularly wanted to comment on your table, which is a thing of absolute beauty. It's wonderful - congrats!
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

flatworldsedge wrote:Super figures - yet I particularly wanted to comment on your table, which is a thing of absolute beauty. It's wonderful - congrats!

I did cheat on some of it. Frontline Gaming makes the gaming mats. They are super awesome I would suggest people check them out.
http://store.frontlinegaming.org/gaming-mats

Also, the buildings I found from a website, that you can print them on card stock. Makes it super easy to get a nice looking building for less effort and its cheap.
http://www.davesgames.net

The hills and the rivers i made myself using hardboard as a base. I was a fun project. I watched some tutorials to help me learn how to do them.

Thanks for all the comments.
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

I just finished two more terrain pieces. I think they turned out decent enough.

Khemrian Quicksand

Mist-Wreathed Swamp
Carsenik
Trainee Warrior

Post by Carsenik »

I am moving along my Corsairs. I think that will look good when they are done. Here are a couple picks of what i have so far. Takes a while to get 25 done.

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Coming along nicely.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Awesome terrain !
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Really like the vivid green of the Corsairs' SDC's - looks like it will be great with the bold purple of the DR cloaks.