Advice for Bretonnians needed.

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

Advice for Bretonnians needed.

Post by Mordrin Spiteblade »

Evening all

I have a game vs Brets on Monday at with a few restrictions at 1000pts, these are actually pretty harsh for Druchii. I've done a search but I can't seem to find anything specific for our current Army Book. I'm thinking a peggy sorceress (nothing above L2) with ToP and lore of metal with a BSB.

My basic plan is to keep the sorceress away from combat and blast everything four legged with searing doom, meanwhile the DRs do what they do best baiting charges to try and expose those long flanks to a chariot and execs. Maybe corsairs or dreads to either slaughter the peasantry or hold up any other threats.

Not sure where to start to be honest, what sort of tricks do these tin clad Asur-lovers have up their sleeves? anything a decent honest Druchii should beware of?!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Re: Advice for Bretonnians needed.

Post by T.D. »

I have never actually played vs Brett's ....but here goes:

- Executioners -- S6 can opening
- Sisters of Slaughter -- 4++ for resisting charge damage. Strike first with I6 ASF.
- Shrine/COB in a unit -- extra resistance against charge damage
- Dark Riders + Warlocks -- out speed their cavalry, threaten their Trebs, while Warlocks can also fight + magic
- Reapers -- ruin a tin can man's day :)
- Dark Pegasus characters -- faster and more manouevreable than their cavalry, durable
- Sorceress -- Metal magic
- Manticore -- KB, but watch out for their HKB.
- K-Beast -- S7 T-Stomp Ld-Reroll Omnomnomnoms :twisted:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

What sorts of restrictions?

Brets generally feature very cheap and average quality foot troop peasants, and reasonably expensive and powerful cavalry.

If you can deal effectively with the cavalry, you've generally dealt effectively with the army. Don't lose that focus. Harrass them and foil charges with dark riders and shades. Pound the crap out of them with bolt throwers. Set up combo charges with multiple units that can deal with their armor (Knights, Chariots, Executioners). Terror monsters can be effective too, since their shooting isn't super scary. The Kharibdyss is particularly effective against them. S7 eats through knight armor pretty effectively.

Oh, for Magic, as TD said, metal is good.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Mordrin Spiteblade wrote: anything a decent honest Druchii should beware of?!

You're doing it wrong. :killed:
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

You need something fast for the trebushed, it kills stuff! So dark riders and maybe a peg master?

You most likely get first turn, because he most likely wants to pray for the ward save. So you can move up your dark riders nice and far.

If he prays, he basicly gets a 6++ armywide and 5++ against S5 or higher. The guy i play against somethimes really hates S4 ap, so go with CoK or BG with the ap banner. (my 10 CoK survived 3! charges from full 15 knightbusses and won! because of the S4ap attacks)

Furthermore, they absolutely suck on the grind, so again, CoK with the ap banner is really nice :-)
jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

he could might aswell have just one knight bus with 3 charecters in front for those points as main, and little support.
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

direweasel wrote:What sorts of restrictions?

Brets generally feature very cheap and average quality foot troop peasants, and reasonably expensive and powerful cavalry.

If you can deal effectively with the cavalry, you've generally dealt effectively with the army. Don't lose that focus. Harrass them and foil charges with dark riders and shades. Pound the crap out of them with bolt throwers. Set up combo charges with multiple units that can deal with their armor (Knights, Chariots, Executioners). Terror monsters can be effective too, since their shooting isn't super scary. The Kharibdyss is particularly effective against them. S7 eats through knight armor pretty effectively.

Oh, for Magic, as TD said, metal is good.

OK restrictions are as follows:

* Led by a Hero, can be a L2 mage. There is a 10% points reduction on the cost of steeds.
* Up to 1 further Hero permitted. This may be a level 1 mage (no L2 unless it the general).
* Up to 1 Special unit, +1 additional Special unit that has a move greater than 5.
* Up to 1 Rare unit.
* Up to 1 War Machine permitted with an additional 10% points cost for all races other than Dwarves Still has to fit special and rare restrictions.
* Up to 1 Large Monster or unit of Monstrous Infantry/Cav allowed.
* Up to 50 points of Magic Items may be used across the entire army.

We all play for territories that give certain benefits, I have two that let me take 200 extra points of magic items which I can't possibly use up! My opponent has one that lets him have 50 more points of magic items and 100point extra troops and a non-mage lord! I've already lost twice to my WoC mate with the same benefit!

I've not been collecting very long but so far I have Dreadspears, corsairs, Execs, 1 RBT, 1 Hydra, Warlocks, DRs, Darkshards and a CoC along with a foot lord, sorceress, BSB and a peggy sorceress. I've got CoKs, Welfs and Shades to paint up but I'm a bit anal about using unfinished models!

I've been thinking along TD's lines so I'm maybe doing something right! My opponent is a good lad and I reckon he'll be sweet with me proxying my hydra for a K-Beast.

I really appreciate the replys.

Sorry direweasel, I mean to say a dishonest, vicious, silver tongued iniquitous Druchii!
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

jeffman wrote:he could might aswell have just one knight bus with 3 charecters in front for those points as main, and little support.

Sweet Hekarti, I hope so! 6 dice boosted searing doom or final trans would be going straight in there!
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

A FEW restrictions? Good god that is horribly restrictive!

Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

I know, the restrctions are a bit more liberal at 2000pts but it does encourage careful troop choices and I like the challenge, especially as I've only recently returned to the game from 5th ed in the mids 90's. Its pretty harsh for us though, for example, if I want a single RBT or 5 shades then no execs. However Empire can bring Demigryphs, a steam tank and a cannon in the same list! Just the way the cookie crumbles I suppose, and Its satisfying when you do well with these restrictions. The biggest bugbear is the fact I can't have warlocks unless I win the territory that allows an extra L2 wizard in your list!
jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

Mordrin Spiteblade wrote:
jeffman wrote:he could might aswell have just one knight bus with 3 charecters in front for those points as main, and little support.

Sweet Hekarti, I hope so! 6 dice boosted searing doom or final trans would be going straight in there!

keep in mind that he can bring 2 dispel scrolls if he brings 2 wizards
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

jeffman wrote:
Mordrin Spiteblade wrote:

keep in mind that he can bring 2 dispel scrolls if he brings 2 wizards

I thought an army could only have 1 of each magic item? Still hopefully with three wounds from the pegasus a miscast is survivable, I'm thinking of taking an earthing rod in that case.
jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

they have an army item that functions exaclty like a dispel scroll, but is called differently. That plus the normal dispel scroll
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

jeffman wrote:they have an army item that functions exaclty like a dispel scroll, but is called differently. That plus the normal dispel scroll

Damn. He could still bring a tooled up Lord as well as two Wizards with his territory, It's going to be an uphill struggle if I'm not careful.
jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

i think you'll do fine, If he has a treb, take it out asap. and bring as little infantery as you can so you can outmanouvre him all day.

Edit: you should consider death instead of metal aswell, easy for the treb, and u can snipe his charecters, which are iimportant for low ld brets.

Dark riders are verry good because of the manouvrebility, but also because of the ap shots, his cav is only t3 like us and 2+. Every kill hurtdhurts for him. Unless he brings infantery, but without magic support they wil die to a combo darkrider charge aswel (especially if u sniped his lord and/or bsb. Steadvast on ld7 (if i remember correctly) is not good :-) )
direweasel

Post by direweasel »

Under those restrictions, I think I'd take a bunch of dark riders, the sorceress lvl2 on peggy, and a hero on a dark steed. Play keep away and magic, charge any infantry and war machines, try to stay away from cav blocks unless you can charge them with the hero and 2 or 3 other rider units.

jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

I would put the lvl2 on the steed aswell, would suck if she gets shot to death by either the treb or archers, once dealth with those u can always take her out of the unit
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

I always like Black guards Against brets (ap banner) they only have a strength 4,so brets only get a 4+6++, instead of a 6+5++ they get when they are hit by strength 5 or higher. Havent done the math on it but my opponent always seems to be saved by his Bloody blessing.
You can get twice the attacks in Against executioners.
And even if Everything goes horribly wrong they will hold the lines.
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
van Awful
Highborn

Post by van Awful »

Sorry only just noticed you dont have any...
.Been a rough night
Nec spe, nec metu

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Mordrin Spiteblade
Warrior

Don't worry I want some Black Guard as I reckon they could be really useful!

I Think I'm definitely going to take a peggy sorceress, The merits of Death and Metal are clear for this game so I'll decide nearer the time but I'm thinking metal. I've had nightmares against heavily armoured knights recently, even with execs so I want easy kills (Obviously if I can get searing doom off) Also my foot sorceresses keep getting murdered so I'm playing hard to get this time!

I've got to take a BSB if I want a master as the sorc's ld is only 8 and her being the general is the only way I can get a L2. I've given him warrior bane, glittering scales and a potion of strength, the rationale being even a WS6 Bret lord will be hitting on 5+ at -1 to hit. Hopefully I can get some wounds in with ASF, MP and S7 neutering his opponent with the warrior bane, if not killing outright. We'll see... I understand they have to accept challenges?

Im throwing in a CoC, 15 execs, 5 DR (full kit) and 20 Spears. I'm paranoid about not having at least 1 full rank bonus Unit that's why I've got them, I could fit in some corsairs or crossbows but only 3 ranks worth, which I think is a bit risky. Basic strategy is to use the dark riders to bait and flee in order to expose the flanks of the knights for execs or chariot retribution, meanwhile the sorceress keeps out of charge range and smashes searing doom at everything.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Not particularly worse restrictions than I'd expect at that points level in a campaign. He'll have to take two heroes (BSB + General) and a unit of KoR, and he's likely to take (at least) a min unit of Pegasus Knights, too and a Treb. So that's around 525 minimum (although more likely to be closer to at least 650). Tag on a couple of units of peasants and he's only got one more big knight block.

Personally I'd put your Sorc on a Dark Steed and give her the option of joining Warlocks or one of the Dark Rider units, that you'll want. A Hydra and Executioners as your special choices will give him plenty to think about and then fill up on Dark Shards to force him to take as many Armour Saves as possible.

Good luck, whatever you choose.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...