Clockwork's 9th Age Dread Elves!

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Re: Clockwork's Eternity Elves!

Post by flatworldsedge »

Lovely conversion work and there's a super shimmer to the armour.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

flatworldsedge wrote:Lovely conversion work and there's a super shimmer to the armour.

Thanks! It's actually super-easy to replicate. Heavy drybrush of Leadbelcher on black. Then a wash of black, and once that's completely dried (give it a couple of hours at least), a medium-light drybrush of runefang steel.

Rowena wrote:I see it now, thanks. Just take it as a compliment of how seemless the conversion is, I really didn' notice any cutting. And thanks for the warning against the Phoenix Guard kit. I have only ever used the cloak, so it's good to know.

Will do ^^
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

All done!

ImageImage

And a very blurry top down view of the unit filler.

I've also managed to finish my first three Silver Crimson Helms!

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Clockwork wrote:
flatworldsedge wrote:Lovely conversion work and there's a super shimmer to the armour.

Thanks! It's actually super-easy to replicate. Heavy drybrush of Leadbelcher on black. Then a wash of black, and once that's completely dried (give it a couple of hours at least), a medium-light drybrush of runefang steel.

Thanks - think I over complicated my version trying to wash with other inks - it doesn't have the pop your's does! Might well reboot simply stealing your recipe!

Nice additions too - happy that you petrified the H*gh Elf.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Hey, we had the same idea! :D Like... almost exactly the same idea.https://rowenasmadness.blogspot.com/b/p ... &type=POST (I made this ages ago and waited with showing it until I had more of our fluff history written to link to)

Anyway, great work, looking forward to seeing more. :)
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Rowena wrote:Hey, we had the same idea! :D Like... almost exactly the same idea.https://rowenasmadness.blogspot.com/b/p ... &type=POST (I made this ages ago and waited with showing it until I had more of our fluff history written to link to)

Anyway, great work, looking forward to seeing more. :)

XD
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Great conversions and painting all around. If you don`t mind, I would like to nick that idea of the HE SM unit filler (Rowena, yours is truly excellent aswell). Great idea :D
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

I love what you've done with the Shadowfire Guard, great conversions and they are painted brilliantly too. Definitely a fan of your work.
jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

I'm stealing your unit filler concept !!

What paints do you use for the statue look?
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Thanks everyone!

jeffman wrote:I'm stealing your unit filler concept !!

What paints do you use for the statue look?

Feel free! It's really easy to do. First: a heavy drybrush of Mechanicus Standard Grey. Then a light drybrush of Ceramite White (can you tell I'm a fan of drybrushing? :P). You could then simply leave it there, and indeed if I'm just doing like rocks or paving slabs on basing then that's often what I'll do and call it a day.

To add a bit of depth and realism to something like a unit filler as I did here though, I'll up the Ceramite White to a medium and then wash the whole thing in black. After giving it a good long time to dry, I'll come back with a second medium drybrush of Mechanicus Grey again, followed by a very very light layer of White Scar to top it off, concentrated around any edges and details.

It's probably worth using a lighter shade of grey for the second layer if I'm perfectly honestly, but I only had one to hand at the time :P
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Any chance of getting a close up of the unit filler - looks good!
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Any chance of getting a close up of the unit filler - looks good!

Of course! :D

And a blurry progress pic of the Loremaster. I didn't think he looked suitably arcane enough, so I stuck him on some floating rocks.

flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

The floating Loremaster is awesome - the rocks work superbly with his pose, and return the favour by adding a sense of movement that wasn't there before.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for the close up - quite a nice unit filler that one!

Your Lore Master looks great as well.
Jvh792
Highborn

Post by Jvh792 »

Wow... I really love the theming you did to this army. It'd love to get my hands on it and look at it in person
"With hate, all things are possible." - Malus Darkblade
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

The unit filler looks even better in that picture and the loremaster is awesome - a simple and effective conversion. The floating rocks are great and it all just goes so perfectly together, the sword, the pinting hand, his flowing hair... I wouldn't want to be the target of that spell! :)
I also love how well your army fits together, the unified aesthetic is something that adds a lot to it.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Clockwork
Highborn

Re: Clockwork's 9th Age Elves!

Post by Clockwork »

Several months ago, I came into a Cauldron of Blood kit on the cheap, but missing an assembly guide. I put out a call and Darkprincess kindly answered by mailing me their's, and I promised putting up some pictures in return.

Last weekend I also attended Call to War in Bristol, and although my performance on the field was... dire... I was lucky enough to be nominated for best painted, so here they are!

From left to right, Altar of Nabh, Dark Riders x2, Legionnaires, Level 3 on Black Magic, Repeaters, Dread Prince on Manticore, Captain BSB, more Dark Riders, Tower Guard, Dread Knights.
Also, check out the sexy Undying Dynasties army in the background. They are owned by Reinier, who flew over from the Netherlands to smash 6 Brits (including me!) and take first place.

Close up of the left

Centre

Right

Apologies for massive images. Apparently, imgur doesn't let you resize any more.

I was very honoured (and surprised!) to be nominated for Best Painted, but ultimately the trophy went to Ben Dunford and his wonderful Orcs and Goblins (he also smashed me :/). I wouldn't have felt right taking it the prize anyway after he told me that he spent the best part of 3 months working on his Gargantua alone!

I'll be putting some feedback up on the T9A forum about gameplay at some point in the near future, but ultimately I found that medium sized combat units just didn't work. I also lacked sufficient BS shooting to clear chaff in the early game. Next time I want to try a big knight bus backed up with Dark Acolytes and plenty of Shades.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Clockwork's 9th Age Dread Elves!

Post by Killerk »

I'm going to shamelessly advertise here,

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tms- ... 14442135#/

As one of the perks, there will be a base design for the DE featuring a sacked HE town.

Just thought you could enjoy something like that in your army ;).
Also known as Kanadian
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

error
Last edited by Killerk on Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as Kanadian
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Very nicely done! I like the manticore lord and your cold one knights.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Darkprincess
Chosen Babe of Slaanesh

Post by Darkprincess »

Absolutely loving these!

Cracking paint scheme - simple, restricted palette gives a really cool, uniform look to the army.

Excellent work on the cauldron too - glad to hear that the instruction sheet I sent to you was helpful. What's that conversion you've done though? What kit is that fire thing from?
The Dark Princess
High Priestess of the Cult Of Pleasure

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure
Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh
Erotic nighmares beyond any measure
And sensual daydreams to treasure forever
Ilmaestro
Executioner

Post by Ilmaestro »

Very lovely army, the dark colours work really well on making the whole force look menacing.

I especially like your BSB, what a simple yet awesome conversion!
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

The red and metalic colors matched well
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Clockwork
Highborn

Post by Clockwork »

Thanks for the comments, all! The next list that I want to run is Knight bus backed up with Shades and Warlocks, so there should be some more pictures up soon(tm).

Darkprincess wrote:Absolutely loving these!

Cracking paint scheme - simple, restricted palette gives a really cool, uniform look to the army.

Excellent work on the cauldron too - glad to hear that the instruction sheet I sent to you was helpful. What's that conversion you've done though? What kit is that fire thing from?

The fire thing is from the Skaven Screaming Bell kit, which I had it kicking around from my original Shrine proxy based on the Bell. I was inspired by another user on this board (who I now can't remember!) who had a Greek-themed Dark Elf list, with a warrior holding a Medusa head on the Shrine. I thought this looked great and wanted to do something similar.

It's in this thread! http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=125