2000pts Dark Elves first attempt

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

kitengel
Slave on the Altar

2000pts Dark Elves first attempt

Post by kitengel »

Lords
Dreadlord + armour of destiny + halbard + Ring of Hotek + sea dragon cloak: 251pts

Heroes
Hag Queen + BSB + Cauldron of Blood + Lichbone Standard + Witchbrew: 330pts
Sorceress lv2 + Dispel scroll: 140pts Dark Magic/law of shadows

Core
19 Dreadspears + Command: 216pts
30 Witch Elves + Command + Razor Standard: 405pts
5 Dark Riders + shields + repeaters: 100pts
5 Dark Riders + shields + repeaters: 100pts
Special
19 Black Guard + Command: 315pts
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers: 140pts

Would be great to get some opinions, I want to use a Dreadlord though, not a supreme sorceress. I'd put him in with the BG and the sorceress in with the DS, Cauldron with the witch elves. Lots of magic defence as one thing that annoys me is how common and totally overpowered magic is in 8th ed, just worried about war machines making a mess of everything.
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Re: 2000pts Dark Elves first attempt

Post by kitengel »

might be worth stating, I don't really play tournaments, just enjoy the game. But also don't want a list of 100 losses! I like to have a playable, solid army that can hold its own. I was thinking of making the BG unit bigger for 2500pts and adding an assassin? Either that or some cold one knights
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Hey Kitengel - first of all - welcome!

There are lots of better list builders here, but I thought I offer my thoughts! First off, being fluffy, I'd love to know the background for your army - who they are, and what their story is, just as it may explain some choices or rule out some suggestions!

I like the Dark Riders, no doubt harassing the enemy whilst your three solid blocks of infantry march up. That said, they aren't too numerous and the rest of the list is a little slow moving. A smart opponent could cause trouble baiting the Witch Elves, and thus breaking up your blocks. If they're off blending an eagle or pack of warhounds somewhere, the list looks less threatening! Stopping that happening maybe bunches your troops up and things could get congested without a ton of movement there. Likewise, if the opponent has solid shooting you might not have enough to control him with just the two agile units.

Steed of Shadows would be a decent spell for your Lv2, but clearly couldn't be depended up!

If you could shave a few points off the big blocks, maybe just to find enough for Pegasus for your Dreadlord or another unit of Dark Riders, you might find yourself more able to control the board and engagements.

I think someone had noted that the MR of the Lichebone and the Cauldron don't stack - so that could be something worth double checking before spending the points.

Hope that helps to get the ball rolling - as noted above, there are wiser souls than I here - hope they can undone any misadvice in my post and help with deeper insights of their own!
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by kitengel »

Hi, thanks for the tips, hadn't thought about the baiting idea for the witch elves, a very good point, don't want them chasing smoke so I'll have a look and modify a bit soon.

In terms of fluff I always like to create a personal background story for my armies. In this case the dreadlord: Calir comes from a low standing family of Naggarond who demonstrated exceptional prowess and merciless resolve on the battlefield, quickly rising through the ranks, Malekith noticed his ambitions and tested the young elf with the promise of his own title, Calir was sent to spend 200 years service in the Druchii armies. During this time, he became a cunning strategist and warrior and when the time came, Malekith did indeed give him his title. But not as expected, in Naggarond. Instead he was given a spit of land on the most desolate regions of the northern mountains, to rule over only the outcasts and lowest born of Druchii society. Instead of seeing this for the obvious slight that it was. Calir used the resources at his desposal to create a bastion of Khaine. He built a new society, build on blood instead of titles.

Thats the start anyway, want to build the story a little furthur but its one reason I want a dreadlord in charge :)
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by kitengel »

oh but quick question: shouldn't the repeaters take care of things such as baiting units?
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

I guess so, but in many cases that'd mean diverting them from higher value targets like high armour cavalry or monsters that the witches and spears might struggle with. Maybe the black guard work against those, I but the cavalry might not choose that battle with you! Play test a bit and see what suits! Thanks for sharing the fluff!
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by kitengel »

No problem, I want to work on the fluff a bit, so will send more when I've thought it out a but more.
Definitely a good point, I'll let you know when I've got the army finished and played a few games.
Still a bit worried about how I've kitted the Dreadlord out, the Ring of Hotek is a must I think as I don't have enough MR otherwise,
Not sure about the armour of destiny but couldn't find a better combination to give him enough durability
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by kitengel »

Do you think it'd be worth dropping 10 witch elves and a couple of other things to include 2 more bolt throwers?
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by kitengel »

Lords
Dreadlord + armour of destiny + halbard + Ring of Hotek + sea dragon cloak: 251pts

Heroes
Hag Queen + BSB + Cauldron of Blood + Lichbone Standard + Witchbrew: 330pts
Sorceress lv2 + Dispel scroll: 140pts Dark Magic/law of shadows

Core
19 Dreadspears + Command: 216pts
20 Witch Elves + Command: 250pts
5 Dark Riders + shields: 85pts
5 Dark Riders + shields: 85pts
Special
19 Black Guard + Command + Razor Standard: 360pts
4 Repeater Bolt Throwers: 280pts
kitengel
Slave on the Altar

Post by kitengel »

Something like this? I'm loath to take away any more from the units as I'll need the comabt strenght, but swapping the Razor Standard to the Black guard might give me a bit more of an edge against heavy armour and adding the 2 repeaters might help me deal with baiting units and still reduce those heavy armour units on their way to my front lines