Army standing in current Meta?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

gerald21
Slave (off the Altar)

Army standing in current Meta?

Post by gerald21 »

Heya guys
I was wondering,whats the current army standing in the current metagame? without the end times stuff and all.I know that Dark elves is in them
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: Army standing in current Meta?

Post by Thraundil »

You're gonna have to be more specific than that :P
Uncomped, dark elves are probably among the strongest armies hands down, if this is what you mean...
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

hmm..... current meta... well here in the EU all cav armies tend to be the thing.
Also known as Kanadian
Kerupto
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kerupto »

I think a lot of people would place Dark Elves at the top of the list. Youtube Channels like The Sustainable Centre and Skaven AZ have done compeditive reviews where they both placed Dark Elves at the top. As far as glass hammers go, Dark Elves are the best at it, and because we go 1st, we punch face most the time. My favourite example of this is my witch elves Cauldron horde with Okams mind razor. I've smashed really compeditive ogre star builds with this.
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

We're in the top block, but I don't think you can really rank armies 1st, 2nd, etc - that's just too specific. Also worth noting that that top block keeps growing as new army books are released, and some of the books have very good ways of dealing with low toughness armies.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

I would bet on a good player with a weak army every time if he is faced by a poor player with the best army. Problem is that many players think their good, most are not. I rank my self as an experianced player, but I would not consider my self good, and to put it in to perspective I belive I could beat most players here 2 out of 3 times.
So yea DE have a good book, but a shift in the meta or changes in say magic could slap us down to an average army. like in 7th when the book came out we were the power, but in mid 8th edition we struggled to keep aflote.
Also known as Kanadian
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well, KillerK, I have no qualms with being ranked lower as a player, but I'd like to point out that the elitism of the "pro's" often disconnects them from the realm of the casuals or casual pro's.
Experience and knowledge don't always transfer down the ladder. Much like a formula 1 driver can't use forumula-1-car driving tips to help you park your SUV at the mall.

In Warhammer, it's a complex balance. There's the international tournament level, like ETC. And then there's the "I just play at my club" kinda guy. Both players will face very different kinds of opponents, have very different tactical options and thus benefit from very different kinds of lists and counters. Obviously, the better player is still more likely to win...
Take the Witch Elf horde and Cauldron as example. It can be countered by a high level player with some ease, or so I'm told. My local group would struggle to counter it and probably needs massive blasting power to stop it. In my local meta, the unit would be relatively easy to score points with and tough to counter. It's a strong choice, here.
But I'm told the pro's can easily hack and crack that. I have seen some of their lists, and I honestly don't think I could win with them simply because:
- My opponents would have an easier time countering its units individually
- I don't know how to play the combination of those units sufficiently to get the superior strength out of it.
Combine that, and you might score weaker with a supposedly better list.

This also means that the balance of units and armies can varry greatly from one meta to another.
One need only look at the preferences in some units or the Lores of Magic to see how important the meta is in people's preferences.

In my meta, a very casual one, Dark Elves are certainly powerful. Though none of the armies we play impress me as particularly weak.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
gerald21
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by gerald21 »

OK,thanks for replies guys! This really enlightens me alot.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well there is nothing like an semi-insult to get a few challenges ;). It might stir a few people up. I would like to get a few games of WFB for some battle reports. Especially since I have played only a few games this year (EDIT this past year). My skill is in an all time low and I love a good challenge.

now f1 might not give you any tips but a rally driver or a drift racer would most certainly give you tips on how to park an suv with style !lol! .

meta is very difficult to pin down and varies from each playing environment as was mentioned earlier.
Last edited by Killerk on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as Kanadian
gerald21
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by gerald21 »

talking about metas,how do Dark elves fare againts Chaos dwarfs? or how do Chaos dwarfs performs on the field? Seeing that there arent a lot of chaos dwarves player in my area which nears 0 in fact
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

A fast DE list can be brutal for CD. But an infantry based list wont give the CD player a game. So it is a hit and miss type of situation.
Also known as Kanadian
Teowulff
Warrior

Post by Teowulff »

If you look at international ranking lists in 8th edition (like eurpean torunaments), DE usually ends up in the top-3 tier.
So I won't worry about the competitiveness of DE armies! :twisted:
Amarel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Amarel »

Killerk wrote:A fast DE list can be brutal for CD. But an infantry based list wont give the CD player a game. So it is a hit and miss type of situation.

We have a Chaos Dwarf player in our current campaign. I honestly don't know exactly what I'll bring when I face him (we can make some changes between games), but it's likely to mostly involve horses and bolt throwers :badh: :burns:.
Still Serving Slaanesh
Owner of one too many armies...
Cihan
Corsair

Post by Cihan »

Amarel wrote:
Killerk wrote:A fast DE list can be brutal for CD. But an infantry based list wont give the CD player a game. So it is a hit and miss type of situation.

We have a Chaos Dwarf player in our current campaign. I honestly don't know exactly what I'll bring when I face him (we can make some changes between games), but it's likely to mostly involve horses and bolt throwers :badh: :burns:.

Dragonbane Gem and Dragonhelm are mandatory against CD. Witches with Razor Standart are great, too. There is a lot to say about how to beat CD. I suggest you open a new topic for just this – in case you are that interested.
Payce
Executioner

Post by Payce »

Amarel wrote:

Chech out this battle report from Murphy, it's brilliant.