A letter to all Druchii generals

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

anthalont
Shade

A letter to all Druchii generals

Post by anthalont »

Dear generals

I have returned to finally start my career to reach the status of a Tyrant of merciless hosts like yourselves. Long time ago I have joined but could not continue due to some unforeseen events.
I have lead my small force to battle only a few times (like 5 or so I believe, it was like a learning battle between aspiring generals)

I am in the process of reading from various scrolls, tomes and reports of great generals to learn from.

And I have recently challenged by a group of Dwarfs and Wood Elves,
I have come to ask your wisdom against these foes and what force I should be recruiting.
We will be starting from 500 and then move to 750 , 1000 points. And hopefully beyond.

At the moment I command;

- Spear unit of 12 strong
- Crossbow unit of 10
-Corsairs of 10
-Currently recruiting warlocks of 5
-And master on dark steed to represent myself.

For the first 500 point force I was thinking to bring,
- 14 Crossbows with a musician ( I thought 4 warriors can exchange their spears with crossbows )
- 5 Corsairs acting as Shades with additional hand weapons
- 5 Warlocks
-A master on steed with mundane equipment and a lance
And if I am not mistaken 9 points are left.

I expect Dwarf general to bring a runesmith, crossbow unit, a gyrocopter and an organ gun.
And my scouts report that wood elf general has a unit of glade guards, glade riders, waywatchers and a spellcaster.

Loyally yours. until I grow strong to be able to dispatch and replace you that is
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: A letter to all Druchii generals

Post by direweasel »

It's hard to imagine two more diametrically opposed army types between dwarves and wood elves. The one thing to do have in common is that they both like to shoot things a lot. The dwarves use big war machines like cannons and organ guns - the wood elves have bows.

Dwarves are slow, tough, and well armored. They have war machines and gyrocopters and no cavalry at all. They can shoot crossbows, but a lot of dwarf armies rely on the war machines to do most of the shooting, and have their infantry just be tough. Many of their better units are immune to psychology, or nearly so. Their leaders can kit out to be nearly impossible to kill. They have miner/rangers that can infiltrate from underground and pop up in your back lines after the battle has started.

Wood elves are fast, T3 like us, and lightly armored like us. They shoot better than us, but don't have the versatility in melee that we do. They do have units capable of melee though, don't doubt that. Wardancers are very unique and present unusual challenges. Treemen and their subtypes (dryads, treekin) hit hard but are flammable and are more points expensive. They have great weapon wielding guys, I forget their names...wild rangers maybe(?) that are similar to our executioners.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

Against two of the strongest shooting armies your lordship could use Cloak of Twilight, quite powerful item to take, but your adversaries give you the right to take it. You could drop about 3 darkshards to have enough coin to purchase it.

It should fit your list tactics well, as you can then run your general solo and add some combat punch. Against dwarves you will have problems if they bunker up in one strong combat unit, but then you can just go around and kill all the rest. Against wood elves you will have to win the board control first to get them cornered for a fight.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Thank you both very much for tips.

That's a nice tactic , I haven't considered running the general solo with a cloak.
I am going to try the list against dwarfs this weekend and later I intend to post a report! :)
Ajattaro
Executioner

Post by Ajattaro »

anthalont wrote:Thank you both very much for tips.

That's a nice tactic , I haven't considered running the general solo with a cloak.
I am going to try the list against dwarfs this weekend and later I intend to post a report! :)

Of course you dont have to run solo. Being in unit cover your master from BS shootong, but war machines can get him.

Its also nifty to move your master or warlocks to the flank and other to the frobt of the unit and then charge