[PLOG] Daeron's Blues

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: Daeron's Blues

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice, definitely agree with the addition of the Blue in the hair to balance the model fully.
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

Wow, she's lovely! I don't know what you're talking about, I really like both the cloth and the gold parts, and the blue streak of hair is a nice touch.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Hey man
Its been long since I have last checked in and its nice to see more of your work. I like your Blues much
Most people don't like old warrior models much (I do like them though) but I think its because they haven't seen your Blues yet!
Beautiful sorceress as well. Very nice touch of blue on hair like others pointed out. I think I am going to go with something similar on my own sorceress :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thanks all for the feedback! It's really motivating, and there are still many models to paint :)
This month I'll be focusing on my Warlocks, I think.

Beginning withthe horsies!
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Picture needs a Soundtrack!
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

With bases and some green stuff to camouflage the cut in the rider's cloth a bit, though the seam still isn't perfect ofc.

They have been primed since, but they are still drying in the garage :)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

For the runes on the horses I thought I'd surprise everyone and pick something totally different from my color scheme.

- The stiff breeze
Booah
Warrior

Post by Booah »

Now that's what I call a production line. Love the way you highlight the blue, definitely makes the units pop. Can't wait to see some of those horses completed.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Runes look interesting, looking forward how you are going to combine it with the rest of horse colours !
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The runes look quite good!
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Yeha - you need to play that music again Daeron - they look great!

are you going to finish them before the end of the month? That is mighty task you have set yourself.
anthalont
Shade

Post by anthalont »

Wow look at those horsies.
Runes look very good, made me consider the way I did the runes on mine. ( I have only completed one warlock as a test, I am going to post about it near future)

I can't wait to see them finished.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Thanks all :)

Cultofkhaine wrote:are you going to finish them before the end of the month? That is mighty task you have set yourself.

Aye... I'll try that but I haven't exactly had a good start by doing very little this week. On the bright side, though, I may have a bit more time in the evenings to come and I'll have one day off near the end of the month. The horses will be painted with a fairly simple scheme (the one from the GW site), the armour on them will be blue with silver or gold rims (haven't made up my mind yet). I don't expect this to be complicated since it's a scheme I've done so many times... so I also hope I make quick work of it :P

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Finally some progress, by doing the bases. I also started painting a horse to test the method. It turned out a lot greyer than I had hoped for, but somehow that's easier. Apparently, painting it black as cleanly as the Eavy Metal team is hard :)
Anyhow here's the lot.

- The stiff breeze
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Love the consistent tone set - so punchy that blue against the dark shades and nicely understated bases. So cool seeing production on this scale.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Love those bases Daeron - they look great!

What the plan with the colour of the horses - are you going to throw a couple of white ones in (or brown) to spice up the colour, or are you sticking with black?
Malys the younger
Beastmaster

Post by Malys the younger »

Daeron wrote:Apparently, painting it black as cleanly as the Eavy Metal team is hard :)

Fact. What are you using to highlight it? I've found black is hard to effectively highlight without looking fake.

The Grim Host of Malys the Younger: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75760

Overall W/D/L: 5/0/3
vs Empire: 1/0/0
vs Wood Elves: 2/0/2
vs Beastmen: 2/0/0
vs Vampire Counts: 0/0/1
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Great bases, you have a close up of the horse you tried so far ?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yes. These are the close-ups.

They will get anotherhighlight to give the grey more definition.

- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Look very nicely done so far. Rune looks great and the highlighting doesn't make them look 'dirty'.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I finished 5 horses tonigh, as a test case, trying different ways for the skin, but with the same color. I finished it off with a highlight to see the supposed end result. I'm fairly happy with the result. It's not bad, but it seems I could use more experience :p well... Only one way to get that!

Here are the five horses:

- The stiff breeze
Mad Stalin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mad Stalin »

Your bases are amazing, what is your secret for this color ?
My blog, nice and smart dealing with the Druchiis and Asurs universe : Charge!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The bases.. Well.. I cover the entire base in PVA glue and apply the base material in quick succession:
1 - I position the cork used for the large slabs of rock
2 - I sprinkle some small rocks
3 - I dip the base in the short grass for the grainy underground

I tried doing the cork and the rest in separate steps. It works, but usually felt messier. Also the cork often got in the way of applying the glue in difficult spots such as between the feet of my troopers.

Sprayed black. Then I paint it as follows:
  1. The brown comes first.
    1. Basecoat grainy underground in dark brown. Originally I used a 50% XV-88, 50% Abbadon black. For the horses I tried 100% Dryad Bark for the first time. While this has definitely a different hue, the end result is similar.
    2. Drybrush with XV-88, or something similar.
    3. Drybrush with mixture of XV-88 and Ushabti Bone OR go straight for the Ushabti Bone but make sure the brush has very little paint on it.
    4. Give some regions on the base a second brush with Ushabti Bone to create a more shady/patchy feeling.
  2. The stones come second
    1. Basecoat with a 50%/50% of Eshin Grey and Abbadon black, though any dark grey will do I suppose.
    2. Brush with Eshin Grey (or any similar grey)
    3. Drybsuh with mix of Scar White and Eshin Grey (any light grey will do) or... Go with Scar White but be very careful.
    4. Add a drybrush of Scar White to some edges you want to stick out.

- The stiff breeze
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amazing horses Daeron ! Very smooth and runes look perfect with this colour.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Very nice - looking forward to see these with riders now :D