Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Rakariel
Shade

Re: Severian`s Bunch of Misfits

Post by Rakariel »

Lion of flanders wrote:OK so I was mistaken in my post about the base that it comes with! I didn't realize that the newer one is repositioned to fit on an "official" monster base. I have the older one which comes with a large fairly tip proof base. I think the best way to go is build yours into a large base with the excess area fairly flat and sturdy so that in the game, other units could be places on top of it up the outlines of the "official" base area. Perhaps the broken corners of a fence or low wall to define the "official" base size. I'm working on mine at present and am considering doing something similar.

Meanwhile, all three look great :D

Thank you :D
Yeah I am trying to work something out so he won`t fall over again. Its not a normal giant anyway and even if played like one there are possibilities. Thanks for the ideas, I think I will do something like the things you mentioned. Looking forward to your giant!
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

After quite a long time of absence (hell real life needs some dedication aswell doesn`t it ;)) I thought I pop in and post not just one but two of my latest painting projects in one fell swoop. You can see my Kharibdyss further below and even tho she is still not fully done yet, I have to post the pictures at some point (I can`t wait for months on end ;)). Sadly the water effect hasn`t properly dryed yet because I guess I put too much of it on the base at once. Still the rest of the model is done and that little water effect still missing won`t make that much of a difference anyway ;).

For “amusement sake” I put a floating HE body in the water infront of the Kharidbyss. I guess he must have tried to beat her in a swimming contest and failed. Those crazy High Elves :roll:

The first bit however features my new Dreadlord on Manticore. As I am a huge fan of the Raging Heroes one (and erm less of a fan of the one from GW) I had to get and paint it.

For the color palette I thought using mostly earthen tones and brownish yellows like you see on mountain lions because that Manticore just screams "viscious Mountain Lion" to me. The wings I used my Airbrush for but everything else is hand painted. As much as I like the Manticore itself the less I like the original rider. The head and especially sword just don`t do it for me. Thats why I replaced both with bitz from my collection (both head and sword are from the new DE chariot kit, the shield is from the CoK kit). I hope you like it and with that I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR! :D

Last edited by Rakariel on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Welcome back from your hiatus.
Great Manticore. Drowned HE is a nice touch :)
Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Amboadine wrote:Welcome back from your hiatus.
Great Manticore. Drowned HE is a nice touch :)

You can't drown high elves anymore Amboadine, there our friends now :killed: ;)
But yeah excellent work on everything Rakariel, love the k-beast and your helsteed vamp :)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Beautiful work - they both look great!

I love the look of the water for your KBeast - I just got one for Christmas and think I might pinch your idea on how you have based it. The colours looks sweet as well.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks guys! :D

Got alot of RL work at the moment, but am working on my Bloodwackshrine which should be done soonish. I have also partially painted the Terror of Fortriu which is gonna be my new WoC chimera. Lots of DE stuff on the painting table still (horde of Welfs, oh how I dread painting thee!) but I will get there ;)

Pinch away! :D
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

The water effect on the Kharibdyss's base is outstanding.
Love the Manticore too. :)
Rowena
Highborn

Post by Rowena »

How come I haven't seen this yet? The kharibdyss is so awesome, especially with the base and all. Love it.
My painting blog

Even without Games Workshop, we will endure. Armies of the Unsupported Age, the models are out there.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Hehe thx again! :D

Seeing those pics again I am not sure why I painted the edges of the Kharidbyss base brownish.... I will make them dark blue to match the whole base.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Had more time lately so finished my Bloodwrackshrine (which was on the desk for four months...). Had quite fun painting it, especially the mirror and the Medusa herself :)

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Great update. Lovely work.
41spoons
Trainee Warrior

Post by 41spoons »

Wow! You are an incredible painter! If you don't mind me asking, what colors/technique did you use for the mirror on the bloodwrack?
Plattfisk
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Plattfisk »

Really nice! I love your painting style, very crisp and clean. It is the kind of painting style that looks really great on the table top and up close. Great work!
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

What did you use for the water effects?
Proud supporter of druchii.net
phierlihy@druchii.net
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks so much guys (and gals of course if there are any :D)!!

For the water effect I used Vallejo Water Texture (the transparent one). I do not like the colored ones that much because then you are stuck with a certain color scheme. Using the transparent one you just have to paint the bottom the color you would like to have (go from light to dark where its supposed to be deeper to create some depht) and apply the water effect on top of it. Be careful tho, if you put too much on it it will take ages to dry. Better put on a thin layer and let it dry, then put on another layer. To get a bit more "texture" into the water I paint the surface (the top of the "waves") white.

The mirror was painted using an airbrush. Its rather simple, I first painted the whole mirror dark blue, then I applied some drakenhof nightshade on the whole mirror. Once that was dry I used three different blue tones with my airbrush and sprayed layers, getting lighter the farther I got to the left of the mirror. In the end I applied some gloss varnish on the mirror to get some additional reflection :)
Schism20
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Schism20 »

Your Shrine is fantastic! I really like the blue accents to the model. :)
flatworldsedge
Chosen of Khaine

Post by flatworldsedge »

Super work - love the mirror, thanks for explaining how it was done. The Manticore is awesome - love the use of the chariot sword, which always had that epic feel that suggests it should be in the hands of someone mightier than charioteer #2. Thoroughly applaud the drowned H*gh Elf too, whatever the propaganda says nowadays.
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

I have tried to bring my novice airbrush skills to the fore once more, and of course on another monster (I guess I kinda like those ;)). I think slowly am getting the hang of it. This will actually be my stand in for a chimera as I loath the GW one. Although the base is bigger, I put some markers on the base to be able to see the true size for gaming purposes. Mostly using earthen colors again (just like with the previous Manticore) the blending of green and white to represent the three different heads was very enjoyable.

I also tried to give the sting a bit more oomph and used some sickly green colors on it to represent the venom dripping from it. Sadly its not that visible on the pictures.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Superb paint job, and good choice of model :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Very nice indeed
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

love the scales on that dragon head - nicely done!
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Amazing model and superb paint job ! Its a shame they don't build the same model without the dragon and goat heads for our manticore. I was thinking about buying one a year ago but pricetag + amount of green stuff needed stopped me. How easy is it to remove the other heads ?
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Thanks guys :D

@Lord Drakon
The other heads are not attached to the body in the first place, there is only a "stump" there. It actually took some Greenstuff to close the gaps betweend the neck and the heads. I think it wouldn`t be too hard to get rid of the necks and smooth out the surface with Greenstuff. If you google Terror of Fortriu you can see a picture which shows the model as it comes in the box. :)
Draecarion
Warrior

Post by Draecarion »

Oh my god, your painting skills are just awe-inspiring :o
And the warlock being taken by Slaanesh has to be one of the most creative conversions I have seen to date. But I love every piece you showed. The manticore rider is very impressive (the manticore model is so much better than the goofy looking one GW put out).
Rakariel
Shade

Post by Rakariel »

Hey Folks! After quite a long break am back with a ton of new, painted models. This time its Dwarfs! I just love them Stunties so I painted a whole army. I will post a new unit/model every week starting with my Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers.

For this Dwarf Lord I used a different model because, well.... I just really dig this guy. Hope you like it :D