What do we want the future of Druchii.net to be?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: What do we want the future of Druchii.net to be?

Post by Amboadine »

Calisson wrote:By the way, we need to associate closer the other Elven website with these thoughts, shouldn't we?

I think reopening the earlier discussions is a good starting point.
Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

Calisson wrote:Zero post on April 28th.
What happens to Druchii.net? Does it mean zero interest?

With all due respect, posting often ebbs before a new armybook and with nothing new for Dark Aelves on the horizon, it's to be somewhat expected.

As for my opinion on D.net, I'm not sure I qualify to answer given my minimal contribution so far, but why does it need to change?
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Jolemai wrote:but why does it need to change?

Because it's dying. I remember how busy things were here back in 6th edition. There were so many new posts each time I logged in that I had to be very selective about which threads I actually read, otherwise I could end up involved in too many different discussions to keep track of, let alone reply to. My university coursework actually suffered! There were hundreds of new posts across dozens of threads each and every day, even at the weekends. Nowadays, I log in and there are maybe three threads with new posts on a good day. Often nothing at all over the weekend.

If Druchii.net were a physical real-world community, it would be one of those old gold-rush-era ghost towns, with tumbleweeds rolling across deserted streets and the wind whistling eerily through empty windows. With half a dozen raggedy old-timers slumped at the bar of the one remaining drinking hole, wondering where the barkeep's gotten himself to (he left town a couple months back, and soon the booze is going to run out...)

You need to have been here in the boom-time to really comprehend just how... dead things are now.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

By the way, we need to associate closer the other Elven website with these thoughts, shouldn't we?

The appeal of this site to me is that it focuses on Dark Elves in which ever form they come. I like the Darkness and all the fluff that goes with it.

While I understand the benefits of a potential merging with other elven factions - I think we will loose something that has made this site special for many of us. Even by just becoming a generic (all elves) site it looses it for me.

I would like us to stay loyal to the darkness - but I think at the end of the day popular vote will prevail.
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

But we should do our thing, most of the other websites are dead (non-elven), I mean I've posted like month ago, and my post is top 3 latest.
Also known as Kanadian
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

I would also prefer us to stay loyal to the darkness.
About activity, it needs initiative, post about what you are doing concerned the hobby and it will save this forum! But most importantly we need to make a decision as the website is fractured now: which gaming system are we going to use? I would say 9th edition, all or nothing. Now it is still 8th edition which is DEAD!
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Asrai has joined our hosting. The domain name will still need to be migrated, but this may take some time. In the meanwhile, asrai.org is temporarily available through this URL:
http://asrai.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29053
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Lord Drakon wrote: which gaming system are we going to use? I would say 9th edition, all or nothing.

A single system "all or nothing" is not an option if you want everyone who is here now to stick around. I've no real interest in 9th Age and would probably leave if this community became just a bunch of people singing 9th Age's praises and slagging off AoS. Conversely, some of us have no interest in AoS and would probably leave if we became purely an AoS forum. A community that only caters to one game system is likely to lose at least a third of the current membership before it even gets a chance to pick up any new members. I don't think that's a viable strategy.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I agree with Shadowspite, I would like to see a forum that caters to all games, but with a focus on Dark/Dread/Drow Elves.

I think if we combine with "all elves" we loose to much of what makes us who we are.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Some months ago, there were discussions about having a common pan-Elf P&M, leaving 3 factions to address the game itself (tactics...).
Did the inclination evolve?

In such a scheme, I would consider fluff developments (History, roleplaying...) in common like P&M, if only for the limited numbers of posts expected.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Calisson wrote:Some months ago, there were discussions about having a common pan-Elf P&M, leaving 3 factions to address the game itself (tactics...).
Did the inclination evolve?

In such a scheme, I would consider fluff developments (History, roleplaying...) in common like P&M, if only for the limited numbers of posts expected.

I think this is still where I am.
Where it makes sense to have a single common area then do so, this would drive more posts in P&M, general and other such areas.

Where races would be best left separated, such as list and tactical discussion, then again this is a good option. People then have the choice of areas to invest time in and the community within each current forum still has a friendly place to visit with the familiar faces, admin and moderation.

If there are options to select your skins and visible subforums, it could potential look almost the same as now.
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Yep totally - more voices and more group interaction on the P&M section can only be beneficial. Mixing things in the army tactics would just cause confusion.

And I also agree that as long as there's a way to keep the theme consistent, I'm all for it. I still want my dark elfy vibe wherever I go on here, because I'm cruel evil git. :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

I've informed Ulthuan about the migration.
http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... 58#p911758

If they are in no hurry to migrate, then we could explore with Asrai how to put some interest in common, in particular P&M.
That would probably require a new name, as common neutral ground.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Phox532
Executioner

Re: What do we ant the future of Druchii.net to be?

Post by Phox532 »

Daeron wrote:But... not for Druchii.net. And ... I'm not surprised.. [b][b][color=#BF0000]It seems every topic in AoS has to defend its right to exist at some point in the discussion. It seems every topic that reaches 5 posts or so can't be left alone without a single jab or negative remark[/color][/b][/b]. Like I should give a damn about one's personal peeve with GW or AoS to enjoy my hobby-time. If I would give a damn, I wouldn't be playing tabletop games.

[b]Personally, I'm discouraged from talking about AoS here. [/b]There are people who claim AoS is failing. There are rumours that AoS is far exceeding WFB. Until we're given solid proof, either opinion is wishful thinking. But what I have observed, is that there is enough of a community out there and we're doing a good job at keeping them out.

This is how I feel sometimes. I have played probably 12 games in the last two months, but I haven't posted any battlereps, and I try to keep other post just as simple as I can, mostly cause I don't want my fun picked apart. AoS brought me into the war gaming, I have read the 9th Age, but it doesn't really interest me.
And while I do enjoy the painting and modeling sections, I wish that there was more content in different areas. I like forums over other social media, cause I feel they can give deeper insight to the game and current medias, but that said I find my self posting more on the AoS facebook page and on youtube about tactics and game play, mostly some people will come to my aid if there is some hate on my observations.
I want this community to grow and I want a place here, but I feel that because I am with AoS crowd I don't.
Phox Jorkarzul
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Post away Phox532 this is exactly what our forum needs to survive. Its up to the mods to squash that negative behaviour.

I don't see why all games should not be supported by the community and enjoyed by all.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Post away Phox532 this is exactly what our forum needs to survive. Its up to the mods to squash that negative behaviour.

I don't see why all games should not be supported by the community and enjoyed by all.

Exactly, please add content and trust that the moderation team will step in if we feel that the thread becomes negative.
We are very much in favour of everyone being able to post and discuss whatever they like in the forums dedicated to that area.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: What do we ant the future of Druchii.net to be?

Post by Lord Drakon »

Phox532 wrote:
Daeron wrote:But... not for Druchii.net. And ... I'm not surprised.. [b][b][color=#BF0000]It seems every topic in AoS has to defend its right to exist at some point in the discussion. It seems every topic that reaches 5 posts or so can't be left alone without a single jab or negative remark[/color][/b][/b]. Like I should give a damn about one's personal peeve with GW or AoS to enjoy my hobby-time. If I would give a damn, I wouldn't be playing tabletop games.

[b]Personally, I'm discouraged from talking about AoS here. [/b]There are people who claim AoS is failing. There are rumours that AoS is far exceeding WFB. Until we're given solid proof, either opinion is wishful thinking. But what I have observed, is that there is enough of a community out there and we're doing a good job at keeping them out.

This is how I feel sometimes. I have played probably 12 games in the last two months, but I haven't posted any battlereps, and I try to keep other post just as simple as I can, mostly cause I don't want my fun picked apart. AoS brought me into the war gaming, I have read the 9th Age, but it doesn't really interest me.
And while I do enjoy the painting and modeling sections, I wish that there was more content in different areas. I like forums over other social media, cause I feel they can give deeper insight to the game and current medias, but that said I find my self posting more on the AoS facebook page and on youtube about tactics and game play, mostly some people will come to my aid if there is some hate on my observations.
I want this community to grow and I want a place here, but I feel that because I am with AoS crowd I don't.

This does make a lot of sense ofcourse, the fact that you prefer AOS should not be of any concern in the community. The difficulty lies in that since the end of 8th edition we play different games and maybe we hoped for an alternative all including gaming system. I now realize this is impossible and we will remain in fractions, but of those we can clearly observe 3 (AOS, KOW, (9th Age). Therefore I suggest to structure the forum around those gaming systems, a place for everbody. But please remove the 'world that was' and replace it with the 3 'world that are' and maybe a fourth subforum for 8th edition oldtimers that don't want to change
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Good suggestions.

We must keep WH8 forum, if only because this is where we have 99% of our rich heritage, even if the players actively using it remain few.
AoS is definitively an active part of the gaming community, and the Mod team unanimously wishes to be AoS-friendly.
T9A being the ETC game and delivering a good quality rules, it seems a good bet for the near future. I am engaged in improving the DE army book and the background will be delivered during summer.
KoW has some success, Amboadine is keen to have its home here.
All other games, as usual.

That makes lots of silos, with only P&M in common. We are willing to go that way. Maybe it would be time to reorganize indeed.

-=-=-
In a more distant future, with the perspective to integrate a bit more the other Elves, that would increase again the number of different silos, with again P&M in common.
We could envision a single, large P&M forum, to become the main purpose of the pan-Elven forum. Background and tactics might be divided in as many silos as they are games and factions, or instead regrouped at a risk of losing coherence and character. To be further examined.
Lord Drakon
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord Drakon »

Calisson wrote:Good suggestions.

We must keep WH8 forum, if only because this is where we have 99% of our rich heritage, even if the players actively using it remain few.
AoS is definitively an active part of the gaming community, and the Mod team unanimously wishes to be AoS-friendly.
T9A being the ETC game and delivering a good quality rules, it seems a good bet for the near future. I am engaged in improving the DE army book and the background will be delivered during summer.

That makes lots of silos, with only P&M in common. We are willing to go that way. Maybe it would be time to reorganize indeed.

-=-=-
In a more distant future, with the perspective to integrate a bit more the other Elves, that would increase again the number of different silos, with again P&M in common.
We could envision a single, large P&M forum, to become the main purpose of the pan-Elven forum. Background and tactics might be divided in as many silos as they are games and factions, or instead regrouped at a risk of losing coherence and character. To be further examined.

+1

Even if the P&M is the only real active one thats good, as soon the dust clears from the destruction of 8th edition the Elven tabletop gamers will choose their game and activity will increase again
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

It should be a broad church. There's no reason why each game cannot its own forum. The more active areas might gather some more subforums than the less active, but there should be room for all while the demand exists.

Discussion and army lists (as a subforum) for each group of elves would be as much as is likely necessary.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Calisson wrote:Good suggestions.

-=-=-

+2

This seems a good summation & solution.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Calisson wrote:

Good suggestions.

-=-=-

+2

This seems a good summation & solution.

It still does not address our name/identity which is old and discontinued - we need a new brand to encompass the broader view.

I think (as much as I like the current name) until we move to a new name we will still be having this conversation for a long time to come and lack clarity and direction for this forum.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Cultofkhaine wrote:I think (as much as I like the current name) until we move to a new name we will still be having this conversation for a long time to come and lack clarity and direction for this forum.
If the new name was to be limited to evil Elves from all games systems, it could be done already.
As we consider to encompass the other two main factions, it would be fair to wait for them to be ready to discuss.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I think the question to our community at the moment is more

Do we remain loyal to the darkness - or embrace our fellow kin?

Once this has been decided only then can we move forward as a community. We should put this to a community poll!

Personally I would like to see us remain loyal to Dark Elves (in whatever reincarnation that might be, across all game systems)

We do not have to be everything to everybody, and while I can see the benefit with a combined P&M having more traffic I think we loose to much of what makes us unique (our niche)
Marchosias
Assassin

Post by Marchosias »

As little segregation as possible, please. If there are two people posting in the DE in 9th Age section, three more in HE in 9th Age, two in WE in WHFB and four in HE in AoS, well, there will not be much talk happening.

This means inviting all elves to a common place.

However, this also means NOT separating the game systems too much. Battle reports if nothing else can stay in a common section, marked with a clear label (so that I know which report comes from a game system I don't want to read about). Maybe someone reads a report from another system when bored and finds out it is worth trying. Or just spots some interesting option. Or just enjoys the writing style without having to understand the rules.

I know that in the past year, I was envying ulthuan.net for the high number of high quality tactics commenters. Not that our niveau was bad but theirs was excellent. We want all our best minds to work together. :)