What do we want the future of Druchii.net to be?

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Re: What do we want the future of Druchii.net to be?

Post by Rork »

direweasel wrote:The problem with that is that, Rork, unless there's a social media outlet I'm not familiar with (highly possible), it doesn't really lend itself well to archival stuff. The treasure trove of info that's built up over time with forums is not something social media can do, and it was my #1 draw to this place when I came.

All I'm saying is that everything should be up for consideration. That all three sites are currently forums doesn't mean we should be wedded to that idea, but only that it should be one of the options on the table.

(As an aside, FB groups certainly have a 'Find' function to search within the group you're viewing)

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Forum vs Facebook?

Ideally, both. For the reasons mentioned by Shadowspite and Rork above.

What's in a name?

I mentioned earlier that I prefer the future proofing of generic Elves. However, the names suggested don't get the blood moving. Our original purpose was as a GW forum, so perhaps we should rebrand to fit the times, while retaining continuity: http://www.aelves.com?

Where is the community going?

Part of the problem is how fragmented we are post-WFB, notwithstanding the drop off in player numbers. Even the two leaders of this discussion, Calisson and Shadowspite, have their preferences in differing directions (9th and AoS respectively).

I think we need to engage all stakeholders in both this discussion and the prospective naming issue.

I don't want to sound ironic or with bad intentions, but if D.net and A.org are struggling why they don't join U.net with newly formed subforums for those races?

A fair enough question in the discussion. Why try to start from scratch when we can simply also build on what's already there and add members to U.net, strengthening what's there. U.net in a good enough position to continue as we are, but we can Always use more active members.

I'm already a member of Ulthuan and Asrai :D

Each of the three Elven forums has their own 'flavour'. I can understand why members would want to keep their preferred flavour alive. However, I see the same fall off of participation at all three sites. A combined site gives the advantage of (i) maximised critical mass of interested parties in WH Elves, (ii) continuity from the illustrious past of our three forums (iii) a name that fits the current zeitgeist and (iv) updated functionality (i.e. social media) to match current net usage.

Adding all members to Ulthuan.net is a fair proposal. But then we are back to the issue of names; are new players going to be searching for Ulthuan.net? And the issue of flavour. Does this represent all of the AoS/9th/KoW/etc races of (A)elves?

Concluding Points

I think we at D.net need to start making decisions soon or go the way of Warseer. I favour merging ...but then again perhaps we should remain specific, and become Exiles.com? :twisted:

I don't want to heap responsibility onto anyone; creating a new forum/site is a whole lot of work. I'm not volunteering to be part of this mooted project, so I don't want to nominate anyone else.

Honestly, the death of WFB killed my enthusiasm for GW, and my only hobby/forum time for the foreseable future involves my own modified version of 8th. I hope D.net is archived for posterity, but I hope even more that it continues onwards in some new shape or form. After all, tabletop wargames featuring evil elves are still very much alive and kicking :mrgreen:
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

T.D. wrote:Part of the problem is how fragmented we are post-WFB, notwithstanding the drop off in player numbers. Even the two leaders of this discussion, Calisson and Shadowspite, have their preferences in differing directions (9th and AoS respectively).

"Problem" and "fragmented" are in the eye of the beholder. To me, it is a matter of diversity rather than fragmentation. As some wise person* once said, "E Pluribus Unum". Calisson and I may personally prefer different game systems, but we are both agreed that both those systems, plus KoW, Oldhammer and so on, should all get a place at the table. The point is that we can all favour different rulesets and differently-coloured elves, but we're all into collecting, painting and playing elegant, magical, pointy-eared superhumans in fantasy wargames.

* Pythagoras via Cicero via St Augustine.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

The problem is lack of action on this topic ...and there has definitely been a lack of action on this topic :lol:

I wasn't having a go at either you or Calisson. I salute and applaud your effort and enthusiasm and agree broadly with almost all of the points you have both been making on this discussion. All those actively maintaining this forum have my admiration and support, as a now largely now non-active member.

I was just using your different preferences as a microcosm of the splitting of loyalties amongst the larger gaming fraternity. And my loyalties are definitely split, I'm pretty sure of that ;)
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I agree with TD this conversation just goes round in circles - we just need to make a decission and run with it.

I like aelfs.net if its free
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Proposal: We set up the FB page and link the existing three forums to it. Then we give Ulthuan exactly one week to decide whether they are willing to turn their forum into the all-elves-all-systems forum for the new combined community. If they are willing, representatives from Druchii and Asrai get added to the mod/admin team over there and then we start making whatever changes are necessary. If they are not willing, then Daeron goes ahead and sets up the new forum as an entirely new site with its own domain. Amboadine and I will share the cost of the new domain for now (assuming you're still willing, Amboadine?). Whichever way we go, once the new forum is up and running (or Ulthuan is rejigged to accomodate all of us), Druchii.net and Asrai.org will become read-only archives.

Anyone have a problem with this?

Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

@Shadowspite, spoken like true Druchii. !lol!
But frankly, once we decide to go forward with the Facebook group (which probably won't meet too much opposition), we are not in that much hurry to do the rest. We can look at how that works first.
(I don't speak for Ulthuan.net, just my opinion.)

Cultofkhaine wrote:I like aelfs.net if its free
For the record, aelfs.net domain is free (aelf.net is not), but I do not know whether it is a good idea, lot of people are going to dislike it. :mrgreen:
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Shadowspite wrote:Druchii.net and Asrai.org will become read-only archives. Anyone have a problem with this?

A sad day indeed when this happens - I like the dark colour scheme and banner at the top :( But if this is what has to happen so be it.

I would prefer to see what ever it is setup first and start using it then before shutting this down completely.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Cultofkhaine wrote:A sad day indeed when this happens - I like the dark colour scheme and banner at the top :(

I am assuming that the colour scheme and banner style will be carried over as a visual style option on the new site.

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Shadowspite wrote:
Druchii.net and Asrai.org will become read-only archives. Anyone have a problem with this?

:cry:

That will be a sad day.

But the shared Facebook page is definitely a good step forward :)

- Do we have a name for the Facebook page btw?

Any thoughts on rebranding Druchii and Asrai to the AoS equivalents as an experiment before making the step of read-only?

I was thinking about Prince of Spires comments, and there is something to be said for a forum with a deep history over a brand new system. All those low number posts and low number topics of a brand new/struggling forum is a turn-off for members.
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Why on Earth (or elswehere) would we want to add your site and Asrai as "read-only archives"? I see no merit in that. I believe that we agreed that the option is more or less the same as proposed by Shadowspite here, just with Ulthuan domain as main one.

T.D. wrote:But the shared Facebook page is definitely a good step forward :)
- Do we have a name for the Facebook page btw?
And a good test whether merging the sites would help or not. No name yet yet, any ideas?

T.D. wrote:Any thoughts on rebranding Druchii and Asrai to the AoS equivalents as an experiment before making the step of read-only?
We as Ulthuan.net are definitely not going that way. Most of our most active members (current or recent) can be found on T9A forum so that would not be exactly helpful.

T.D. wrote:I was thinking about Prince of Spires comments, and there is something to be said for a forum with a deep history over a brand new system. All those low number posts and low number topics of a brand new/struggling forum is a turn-off for members.
That is why we want to make sure this works, ands that we have enough people to make it work before we go head in a project we can't support.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

T.D. wrote:- Do we have a name for the Facebook page btw?

The two names that pop in my head for a joint community would be "Elves on the table" (common, easy, plain) or "Children of Ulthuan" (because that is the one thing that ties us all)
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Daeron is back into the conversation! :D
Because honestly, no matter the clever decision whoever may take for forums, if Daeron is not onboard, it will not happen.

-=-=-
From Asrai, I read that the very few remaining ones are all happy to have any change leading to more activity.
From here, a bit more activity, and push for change, now!
From Ulthuan, the most active and the most conservative forum, a majority of those who speak are reluctant to change, in particular they seem to want to keep the name Ulthuan. Some are happy to change.

-=-=-
There are two decision which may be taken:

1. Start the FB page.
We still need to find a leader and agree on a name before we can do it.

2. Build the new site now, let Ulthuan join us when they see what it is (and if they need more than a week, so be it).
The new site will have all 3 present sites archives, a common P&M forum, and room to discuss AoS, KoW, T9A, WH and so on.

Daeron, as you are the knowlegeable one, could you specify if:
- the three addresses could be redirected to the new site name with users hardly noticing at all
- the new website could have three "looks" (i.e. blue, gree, dark) according to user's preference?
- former users of 3 sites could be transferred to new site?

We still need to stabilize a name (same as FB) and a team.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I agree with Calisson - this all makes sense!

So first thing is first how do we choose a name?

I think we should all put forward names based on domain availability and then put it to a poll for the community to decide.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Daeron wrote:
T.D. wrote:- Do we have a name for the Facebook page btw?

The two names that pop in my head for a joint community would be "Elves on the table" (common, easy, plain) or "Children of Ulthuan" (because that is the one thing that ties us all)

I quite like both of these.

Elves on the table does what it says on the tin and gives us many options for content.

Children of Ulthuan has a uniqueness and a gravitas about it; the sort of name that has a hook, as with our existing 3 sites.

I think this naming will be crucial, and we should encourage all opinions across all sites as well as a poll.

Mini-brainstorm of idea starters:
1) Elves (generic)
2) Aelves (AoS)
3) Pre-sundering related (i.e. Children of Ulthuan, Children of Asuryan?)
4) End Times related (i.e. The Phoenix Crown?)
5) 9th age related (sorry not familiar with these terms)

I think we should all put forward names based on domain availability and then put it to a poll for the community to decide.

I think its good to brainstorm first without the narrow focus of domain availability.

With the FB page we don't need a domain; ideally they should match, but a good name for the FB might be more important than an exact match with the website domain?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

T.D. wrote: ideally they should match, but a good name for the FB might be more important than an exact match with the website domain?

I disagree I think they should match to maintain a consistent brand for what we are doing!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Cultofkhaine wrote:
T.D. wrote: ideally they should match, but a good name for the FB might be more important than an exact match with the website domain?

I disagree I think they should match to maintain a consistent brand for what we are doing!

Fair point :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Calisson wrote:Daeron, as you are the knowlegeable one, could you specify if:
- the three addresses could be redirected to the new site name with users hardly noticing at all
- the new website could have three "looks" (i.e. blue, gree, dark) according to user's preference?
- former users of 3 sites could be transferred to new site?

1) Yes. Note: we still have issues with registering Asrai.org.
2) Yes. The biggest workload is making the 3 looks.
3) Compromises will have to be made. IE: on Asrai.org there already is a user called Daeron. Both accounts can exist, but not both can (or ought to) be called Daeron.

Perhaps we can start a merger for Asrai and Druchii first and see how it fares?
Granted, I'd favour redesigning the landscape all at once, but perhaps the gradual approach is safer.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Can we start with a thread for brainstorming names/brand and get members comments - I think this is the first hurdle before we get into the technical.

I do like "Children of Ulthuan" not sure how it relates to T9A though.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

"Children of Ulthuan" is 100% linked with GW's old WH, therefore it is very clearly not compatible with T9A due to IP. It is completely irrelevant for any other game than WH, even AoS does not make any mention of Ulthuan.
I do not see it doing any good for attracting newcomers. The only merit I see is to maintain present members of Ulthuan.net.

Elves on the table, why not?

Can we establish hereafter a list of possible names, delete the obvious no-go, with the intention to make a poll on the three websites let's say next week-end?
Hereafter I only list .net, but .com could be considered for all of them (less relevant, though).

Tactics-oriented: elfwargames.net, elves_on_the_table.net, elfbattles.net, elvenstrategy.net, wargameselves.net,
Models-oriented: ElfMiniatures.net, pointy-ears.net,
Politics-oriented: elvennations.net, elvennation.net, elfnation.net, elfkin.net, elfrealm.net, elveskingdom.net,
Anything-Elf-oriented: elvesforum.net, elves-online.net, elvescompendium.net, fantasyelves.net,
Specific game-oriented: Children-of-Ulthuan.net (linked to WH only), Aelves.net (linked to AoS only)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

elvendom.net
elflords.net
swordandbow.net / bowandsword.net / spearandbow.net / bowandspear.net (cf. bolterandchainsword)
threekindreds.net
eternalelves.net
elves.net (surprisingly, this does not already exist)

Ming
Black Guard

Post by Ming »

Pointyears.net
Alltheelventhings - allthingselven.net

;) ;) ;)
... and Justice for all!!!

.... and enthusiast member of the league of extraordinary druchii gentlemen
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I say snap that up!
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Ulthuan.net :twisted: !lol!

What about the good old
swordandsorcery.net
Swordsorcery.net

And as we are all standing there....
Lastcoast.net

Spearandshield.net
Will get back to you once I get rid of this something-and-somethong pattern...

EDIT: added one more domain suggestion
Last edited by Aicanor on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Cultofkhaine wrote:

I say snap that up!
Not as great as a site title, but perfect domain name indeed.