Which name for pan-elve website and FB account? poll #2

Got something to talk about? Be it video games, other tabletop or card games, even random stuff - this is the place to post!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Which name is your preferred one?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:18 am

elvesforum.net
10%
elves-online.net
23%
elvescompendium.net
13%
fantasyelves.net
10%
alltheelventhings
No votes
allthingselven.net
3%
eternalelves.net
10%
elves.net
32%

Total votes: 31

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Which name for pan-elve website and FB account? poll #2

Post by Calisson »

Follow-up from Which name for pan-elve website and FB account? poll #1
From combined votes in the 3 forums, there is a clear preference for Anything-Elf-oriented.
Time to narrow the votes to one name.
7 days to vote.
Thank you!

Parallel polls here and there.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Aicanor
Corsair

Re: Which name for pan-elve website and FB account? poll #2

Post by Aicanor »

Ok, a question - do you have the elves.net domain? Because if not, it is not available any more.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Maybe Cult of Khaine made a preventive buy?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Sorry not me - I did a whois search and it says it has been registered for a while 1997-06-27

Who originally said it was free - perhaps they got confused with something else.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Did a search for some other names and the following are free.

elvesonline.net
elvesforum.com
elvesforum.net
elves-online.net
elves.community
elves.toys
elfnation.net
elf-nation.net
eternalelves.net
elves-of-war.net
aelfs.net
elf-war-games.net
elvesabroad.net
elvesonthetable.net
fantasyelves.net
tabletopelves.net
elvescompendium.net

by the way aelves.net and aelves.com are both free - given that all three current elf sites originated from GW Warhammer would this not be the appropriate name to choose? It does not mean we can exclude other game systems and it is unlikely to change in the future.
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

It would be too much luck for it to be free.
allelves.net is closest free one I could come up with.
I know aaaeelves.net would be a reasonable choice, but it is still an abomination. Can't help it. :mrgreen:
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Cultofkhaine wrote:Who originally said it was free - perhaps they got confused with something else.

That was my fault, sorry. I must have mixed it up with aelves.net.

by the way aelves.net and aelves.com are both free

Like it or not, people will assume we are an AoS-only site if we go for either of those. I don't think we can afford to discourage Oldhammer and 9th Age players from joining because of an over-specific name.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

is this poll not defunct if the top scorer is not available?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Well, if top scorer is not available, we'll move to second best.
Anyway everyone have 3 choices and may change choice.
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

Perhaps there is a better 'second-best' option in another group of names though? :mrgreen:
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

That's what I was thinking too.

How are the other forums going with this?
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Poll much more popular here (25) than in two other websites combined (10 & 8 ).

elves.net is preferred massively. Would elves.com happen to be available as an alternative? I assume it would not betray the spirit of the communities.
Second best, elves-online.net. Can someone check it? Or elves-online.com as another possibility?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

elves.com is taken

elves.community is free and lots of other obscure domains

elves-online.net and elves-online.com are both available
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Elves.net disqualified because already taken.
elves-online.net emerges as clear second choice.

Who can take ownership of this name?
Please make FB account elves-online in the process.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Hmmmmmmmmmm!
Are people willing to trade the name Druchii for Elves-Online? It's the clear 2nd winner, sure, but it doesn't refer to tabletop or wargaming in anyway. If anything, it almost sounds like an online game.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

That's what I was thinking as well - Seems a little to generic.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

is it worth having a revote with some of the other options added in and those that are not available taken out.

Part of me thinks that we did not brainstorm for long enough at the start of this process (no offence Calisson)

I don't think we must have a name with the word elf or elves in it - it would be nice to have something obscure
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Brainstorming process was made and brought too many options already. I see not the benefit of opening again the Pandora box.
Revoting would need some decent grounds. The first poll did indicated clearly a preference for a name with "elves" and no reference to "wargaming". Are we going to look like "people voted Brexit, they surely do not mean it, let's revote until they vote right"?
Second vote was fair as well. More votes on D.net than other 2 websites combined, and same results. On which gound could we possibly deny the results now?
How are we going to attract people if we ingore their expressed wishes in the first place?
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What about elvesunited.net

I don't think you can ever have enough ideas in a brainstorming session - that's the point of brainstorming. I don't think we exhausted all the ideas before the poll was put in place.

I think we suffer an identity crisis trying to be to much to everybody (That's where DNet works well - it's specific to one thing in it's conception Dark Elves in Warhammer)

What do we want to be? A forum for wargaming with fantasy elves. Including tactics, hobby (P&M) what else? Does this need to be a part of the name we choose? I'm not entirely certain of that.

I don't think it is fair to vote for an option that is not available (elves.net)

How are we going to attract people if we ingore their expressed wishes in the first place?

I disagree with this, people will come if they are interested in the topic, the meaning behind something. I throw a spanner in the works now by saying this but the popular masses have voted in Trump or Clinton and where is that getting the US? When there are potentially many more better suited candidates for the position.

There are so few of us left now, we are like Tolkins Quendi
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Cultofkhaine wrote:What about elvesunited.net
Cute... but out of the 5 categories, similar entries were ranked last (elvennations.net, elvennation.net, elfnation.net, elfkin.net, elfrealm.net, elveskingdom.net, elvendom.net, elflords.net, threekindreds.net, 3elvendoms.net, lastcoast.net).
The clear choice was for having the name elves (or elven), associated with something as broad as possible (elvesforum.net, elves-online.net, elvescompendium.net, fantasyelves.net, alltheelventhings, allthingselven.net, eternalelves.net, elves.net).
In line with this spirit, I feel safe to go for something like elvesonline.net (without dash), but not to revert back to something which has been rejected.

-=-=-
About trying to remain specific, unfortunately this is leading to where we are now.

-=-=-
I do not like that much the considered changes either, but I like even less the idea to stay on this decaying trend without reacting.
We barely saved Asrai, now in a zombie state i.e. better than buried and rotting.
Azur is taking the conservative path to wait doing nothing and see if a miracle happens.
What is at stake here is to try this miracle.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

elvesonline.net is good with me - it would be nice to see some more input from the community but a fear we are a dying breed!

Does anyone else have some comments they would like to make?

@Shadowspite I think you kicked this process in motion a while back?

@Aicanor Daeron

I cant believe there are so few names here :(
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Daeron did reply to my PM.
Shadowspite is surprising in his silence.
Aicanor I did not include as he feels more Azur than Druchii, but I would welcome his reply nevertheless.
Quite a few more did participate to polls.
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Shadowspite is surprising in his silence.

This is because Shadowspite is dealing with some pretty major family health issues right now. :(

Cultofkhaine has a point, IMO. People voted for the name category containing 'elves.net' because they wanted 'elves.net', not because they wanted 'alltheelventhings.net' or 'elvesforum.net' or whatever. You can't reliably conclude that the second highest scoring name in that single category is automatically people's second choice. Because the vote that led to that category coming out on top was itself based on faulty information. If people had known 'elves.net' was not available, they might well have chosen a name from one of the other categories as their second choice.

And yes, I'll take the blame for that faulty information. I guess, following the Brexit analogy, I now ought to be named Foreign Secretary. :P Although a better analogy would be people voting in a Conservative government because they wanted David Cameron as PM, and now getting stuck with Theresa May as PM instead.

I'm not in favour of re-running the polls, though. I think 'elves-online.net' is fine. I'm just pointing out that Cultofkhaine's criticisms of the way this was done are entirely valid.
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

So where to from here, do we go with elves-online.net or I think a better option elvesonline.net (without the "-")

or do we have one last poll?
Aicanor
Corsair

Post by Aicanor »

This is because Shadowspite is dealing with some pretty major family health issues right now. :(
Sorry to hear it, I hope all will be better soon.

Calisson wrote:Are we going to look like "people voted Brexit, they surely do not mean it, let's revote until they vote right"?
I would say it is hardly a win when you have approximately half of the people who disagree with the result live with the consequences. Not saying it is the exact situation we have here, but we can afford it even less.
In my opinion, grouping the options together was what brought about this situation, but it is done now and I do not think a complete revote would be met with much enthusiasm.

About trying to remain specific, unfortunately this is leading to where we are now.
This is the hard one. There are many general Warhammer forums and this is not the time for another one. How could it succeed? We need something to set the site apart. This is going to take considerable effort on the part of new site's team to make it work. And if it doesn't, what is the plan B?
I know it sounds negative, but it is better to consider these things beforehand.

Azur is taking the conservative path to wait doing nothing and see if a miracle happens.
What is at stake here is to try this miracle.
Not doing nothing. Putting considerable effort into keeping Ulthuan afloat. It is working too, we were worse than we are now.

Ulthuan's preferred course of action based on our members reactions to the discussions is keeping Ulthuan.net and setting up a Facebook group, or join an all-elf one if you have us. Try out some activities there an see how it works.
I honestly think this is a good way to go about it with a joined Druchii/Asrai site as well, because it tests the waters before the dive. Also, it would seem prudent to wait a few months for T9A background being published.

Of course, if things go worse than hoped, there is always Ulthuan to return to. ;) :mrgreen:

PS: Aicanor is a girl. ;)