EXECUTIONERS - I have it, I swear

This forum is now locked until it is time to start the process of writing the new Dark Elf army book.

Well done to all those who took part!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Jargobae
Terror of the South

EXECUTIONERS - I have it, I swear

Post by Jargobae »

ok ok this idea just came to me.

To me Executioners have ALWAYS been my favourite unit. The models are awesome and the fluff is sooooo cool.

These are the changes that need to be put into place. With the other changes just like DA said they just havent 'clicked' for me.

HA option for 1 pt.
executioners - 12 pts.

Executioners are the most feared unit to other races in the druchii army. They way the can decapitate a head with such ease is a horrific sight. They are in charge of wreaking retribution on thoses who displease the witch king. In battle they are rightly feared as their draichs can cut a swathe through any armour

special rules
killing blow, horrifying execution*

*Horrifying Execution
It is one thing to see a friend die. It is another to see him executed by Executioners. To represent this for every kill an executioner unit does it counts as combat resolution 2 to represent the phycological damage it does to the opponent.

Cmon guys. This addresses their survivability in combat, their fluff, their abilities, their weapons and with the H/A option they can survive against shooting too!!!!!!!
Do you hate Malekith?

Are you interested in seeing the overthrow of his incompetence to be replaced by a system capable of taking Ulthuan back??

Join the spirit of Lakulei today - PM me now!
Gil-galad
Cold One Knight

Post by Gil-galad »

ahhh ehhhh well tht's not bad, but a bit too powerful. If they are charged, ok, it has no effect. But if they charge, they will mow trough anything, make deamons dissappear like hell, etc......

I think we should already make it useless against immune to psychology units.
The question is : " What is a 'mana mana'? "
The answer is : " WHO CARES?"
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Yeah, it is indeed far too powerful. They will almost always win the combat with ranks and they would be almost godly as a support unit with absolutely no chance for many enemies to survive the combat results. It does, however, give us a great way to kill Archaon! :twisted:

That being said, I have not yet found anything myself that will fix them, so...
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Maelis
Highborn

Post by Maelis »

TOO POWERFUL.

But how about:

"If enemy unit takes ANY casualties from Executioners draichs, then it has to pass LD9 at the end of combat phase or flee. If they flee due to this rule then Executioners CANT pursuit (as they are busy with executing they remaining wounded from that combat)"

Priced 1 point => overall model cost 12 + optional 1 for HA.
This can be also priced 0 (as I think execs are a bit overpriced already) leading to 11 pts per model +1optional for HA.
"Prick your finger it is done
the moon has now eclypsed the sun
an angel has spread his wings
the time has come for bitter things"
-M.M
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Hmmm, that would be too powerful, but what about 'every KILLING BLOW counts as 2 wounds for CR purposes.'?
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

I don't roll that many 6's for it to have any effect
If you run, you'll just die tired
Subedei
Dark Rider

Post by Subedei »

I'm coming round to the idea of giving executioners str 4 - it would certainly help us cope with the large number of well-armoured regiments out there, and it isn't overpowered considering the fact that most armies have it also.
Draichlord
Noble

Post by Draichlord »

@ Subedai, I've said this for months. We don't have, and desperately need, real 'can-openers'.
If you run, you'll just die tired
Medved
Beastmaster

Post by Medved »

DA said that he dont see str4 happening... but str4 would change the exe in shocktroop. If they only get ha, i dont think i would use them more than i do right now, that is not ofthen :mrgreen:
Dalamar: 03/10/2013 "Yes, we are the epitome of glass cannon now. In fact the cannon is so powerful that it's possible for it to damage itself."
7ed: 23-3-3 W-D-L
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Subedei wrote:I'm coming round to the idea of giving executioners str 4 - it would certainly help us cope with the large number of well-armoured regiments out there, and it isn't overpowered considering the fact that most armies have it also.

Well, S4 is not exactly what we need, what we need is S6 with the GW. S4 base eliminates the need for the GW most of the time and makes them too powerful in many other cases. But, as has been suggested before, a +3S from the GW would go very far to solving that problem and keep the advantage we want. So, the question is, how do justify that extra S bunus?
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Subedei
Dark Rider

Post by Subedei »

I honestly don't think giving executioners str 4 is going to be a problem. A str 4 special unit is not that unusual, or overpowered - but maybe saying they must always use the Draich in close combat (unless its negated by a magic item/spell).

But whatever option we choose, it's obvious that Druchii need a str 6 unit, given how many units with decent armour saves we face.
Furion
High Sorcerer

Post by Furion »

I heard a good idea on the GW boards that really works well. Think if you will, the Sword Masters have the Strike first rule. This rule really allows them to control the combat by almost always striking down their opponents first. Very powerful and why most armies always field a large block of them.

We have killing blow. Nice, but since our troops are never left standing due to the striking second rule, killing blow becomes literally just a lucky role on the couple of dice you now have left to use. The suggestion was to allow the Executioners to step forward over fallen comrads and strike in their place. Same thing you say?

Sword Masters striking first prevents their opponents from generally have much if any attacks back. The stepping over falling comrads rather than just losing the attack is different in that opponents still get all their attacks first as normal, but we get all of our's as well. Our opponents are slammed by another Sword Master wanna be unit and we solve our survivability problem. We could still have our heavy armour too. At 12pts a model, I think this is very fair, and priced accurately based on the slightly less effectiveness of Executioners. Now, we just need a name for the rule...
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

i had the idea some months ago and sent it to langman and/or DA...
he(/they) answered that this would create another problem: the hole concept of druchii is a fast, precisely hitting army. with this rule we have an unit which can take charges and the execs would have a very good chance to win, EVEN when beeing charged.
this doesn't really fit to the fast/fragile army-style and that's why Gav won't make such a change... sorry... keep searching for other ideas ;)
At last, we will have revenge...
Furion
High Sorcerer

Post by Furion »

Morasul wrote:i had the idea some months ago and sent it to langman and/or DA...
he(/they) answered that this would create another problem: the hole concept of druchii is a fast, precisely hitting army. with this rule we have an unit which can take charges and the execs would have a very good chance to win, EVEN when beeing charged.
this doesn't really fit to the fast/fragile army-style and that's why Gav won't make such a change... sorry... keep searching for other ideas ;)

And this is why Gav shouldn't have been allowed to do the revision either. He's a certified moron. Even he can't find a way to make the unit work right. And yes, it does fit into the elite/fast theme of elves. The whole fragile BS was created by him in 6th edition, not the previous five. He's a Dwarf player at heart, he shouldn't be allowed to mess with Elves, Lore Master or not.
Putting the FUN back into fundamentalism since 1998
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

you are absolutly right! i had the same idea, because i thought it would be a nice addon for the DEs, we could use such an unit very well!
At last, we will have revenge...
Subedei
Dark Rider

Post by Subedei »

Why not just add an assasin to the Execs, if you're worried about being charged, or attacking last - guaranteed satisfaction with every combat
Jargobae
Terror of the South

Post by Jargobae »

Why not just add an assasin to the Execs, if you're worried about being charged, or attacking last - guaranteed satisfaction with every combat

OF COURSE. IT IS SO SIMPLE!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

if thats your fix....
Do you hate Malekith?

Are you interested in seeing the overthrow of his incompetence to be replaced by a system capable of taking Ulthuan back??

Join the spirit of Lakulei today - PM me now!