London Conflict Winning Army List

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

London Conflict Winning Army List

Post by The word of pain »

A few have asked to see the army list from Conflict, so Here goes! ( I must say I had some fortune in not playing V my nemisis armies)

Lvl2 Sorceress (General), Dark Steed, Darkstar Cloak, Seal of Ghrond - 187pts

Lvl2 Sorceress, Dark Steed, Tome of Furion, Dispel Scroll -
182pts

Noble Battle Standard Bearer, Cold One, Heavy Armour, Hydra Banner -
205pts

5 Dark Riders, Repeater Crossbows, Standard & Musician -
141pts

5 Dark Riders, Repeater Crossbows, Standard & Musician -
141pts

8 Cold One Knights, Dread Knight & Musician -
259pts

Cold One Chariot, spears -
97pts

5 harpies -
65pts

War Hydra -
220pts

Total 1497pts and only 30 models!

5 spells (always Dark Magic) with 7 Power dice. 5 dispel dice and a scroll (I only used the scroll once the whole day!)

The most pleasing aspect of the day was that all three armies I played got massacre's in both thier other games. I played V Khorne Chaos round 1 (hardest game), Empire round 2 and Skink Southland army round 3. I was lucky not to face either Skaven or Dwarves, both of which this army can struggle against.
The Word of Pain

Most heard comment at UK GT...
"Please, not Wood Elves again..."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

WoP played his army very well. It is full of units he knows how to get the best from and he knows can work in an all round situation.

As he said, he never met any of his nemesis armies. Had he then the result may have been different. The reason I say this is to quieten the anti-Revision camp and Tournament success is but a snapshot in the life of an army.

Not taking anything away from WoPs success ( he knows me well enough to understand what I am saying here ).

That aside, if you look at his list you can see how it contains elements which compliment each other. The magic is quite strong first of all and his combination of items allows him to use the DE spells in a number of ways depending on his opponent.

DRs and COKs - great together. Note how he uses standards in his fast cavalry. This can mean that a unit of DRs are able to break an enemy unit from a charge into the flank.

Chariot and Hydra - who would want to see those two coming towards them?

And finally the Harpies. A great all round unit capable of aiding the magic prowess by killing the enemy mages or forcing them into units for protection and for war machine hunting.

Well done WoP
Lurker
Corsair

Post by Lurker »

How did you do with stupidity? A COK unit with a hydra banner is always scary but in a 1500 point game with limited resources I would guess a few stupidity checks can ruin your day?

Congrats though, still on that deserved cloud nine I hope.
Seraphlaw
Druchii Archangel

Post by Seraphlaw »

very nice list indeed...
Seraphlaw

"HA! What damage can a DRUCHII do?" - Famous Last Words
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Lurker wrote:How did you do with stupidity? A COK unit with a hydra banner is always scary but in a 1500 point game with limited resources I would guess a few stupidity checks can ruin your day?

Congrats though, still on that deserved cloud nine I hope.

In three games, my Knights failed 1 stupidity check (on an 11, so even a high born wouldn't have saved them), but were only 2" away, so still charged the IC Knights. My chariot failed 3 checks (remember it's leadership 8, as my General was a lvl2). One was turn 1, which is just a pain, the other 2 were during the game and left my Hydra on his own in a combat I wanted both Hydra and Chariot in.

I never leave home without my knights, and my Chariot tends to be a cannon magnet, which is fine by me! Rather the chariot than the Knights!
The Word of Pain

Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

lucky you. in all 3 games my cok's died. with a banner and my general in them i lost around about 600 points per game, basically losing me the game...now i know exactly not what to do! without osing them my games probably would have turned round completely
Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Oeric wrote:lucky you. in all 3 games my cok's died. with a banner and my general in them i lost around about 600 points per game, basically losing me the game...now i know exactly not what to do! without osing them my games probably would have turned round completely

My Knights accounted for more points won than any other unit in my army. They rocked! I never lost more than 3 of them (against empire) and they were my main combat unit! Then again, they do fight were I want them to fight and the rest of my army protects them. In one game I sacrificed a unit of Dark Riders to stop a unit of Khorne Knights with Exalted Khorne Champ charging them! (they died for the great good, as my knights then charge his in the rear later on and wiped them out.)
The Word of Pain

Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

lol, nice one. but then again... a stone thrower, bolt thrower, thunderers and crossbows from a dwarf army does hurt, so does a 3d6 str 4 magical arrow and many str 5 magic missiles from wood elves hurt, finally 3 ratling guns and loadsa warp lightning.

Basically, we can say my cold ones were doomed to fail!

glad they worked for you though :P
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Oeric wrote:lol, nice one. but then again... a stone thrower, bolt thrower, thunderers and crossbows from a dwarf army does hurt, so does a 3d6 str 4 magical arrow and many str 5 magic missiles from wood elves hurt, finally 3 ratling guns and loadsa warp lightning.

Basically, we can say my cold ones were doomed to fail!

glad they worked for you though :P

I agree, but you can limit the damage with a bit of cleaver movement. Against both the Empire and Southland skink army I move my Harpies in front of my Knights. Do I care if he fires his Hellblaster or unit of 20 Blowpipe armed skinks at them? Not a bit! The Empire player chose another target (Hydra) The Skink player did and promptly killed a total of 1 Harpy. It's the use of other units to protect them that counts. Unsupported they get targeted to death. Supported, they can really rock! Unless you do what I did last week and fail stupidity 3 turns in a row!
The Word of Pain

Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

I know you said that you were lucky to not face any of your nemesis armies, but I have a question for you: how would you deal with skirmishing swarms? They're getting more common as we speak... just a though?
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Alith_Anar wrote:I know you said that you were lucky to not face any of your nemesis armies, but I have a question for you: how would you deal with skirmishing swarms? They're getting more common as we speak... just a though?

A number of ways. Ignore that flank. (they tend to be put on a flank, as protection) Shoot them with Dark Riders. (OK, they are harder to hit, but really easy to wound)
Chillwind/Doombolt them. Really easy to wound and if you use chillwind at least they won't be shooting at you next turn. ;)
Once down to one base on 3/4 wounds, charge in with Dark Riders to finish them off.
It's all to do with target prioritisation. Deal with what you have to now, now. Then what you can deal with now, now. Leave the rest until you can deal with it.
The Word of Pain

Shockwave
Highborn

Post by Shockwave »

Nice list and congrats. Quite simaliar to what i was hoping to take.
The only real differance being that i had shades and a royal hydra instead of a BSB and a chariot.

Shame it would of been nice to see how i would of done. BTW how well did your friend who ended up with my ticket do? Alsowhat army did they play?
I'd rather lose a closely fought game then have it all sown up in a couple of turns.

Strangely, been here longer than most of the Admin staff.......
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Shockwave wrote:Nice list and congrats. Quite simaliar to what i was hoping to take.
The only real differance being that i had shades and a royal hydra instead of a BSB and a chariot.

Shame it would of been nice to see how i would of done. BTW how well did your friend who ended up with my ticket do? Alsowhat army did they play?

He played Tomb Kings, it was his first tournament and he got 2 solid victories and a massacre against. he was chuffed to bits! I'll get the money for the ticket off to you after I see him tonight.

I considered the Royal Hydra, but the BSB is just too powerful to loose. The way I look at my BSB is that it's a 205 point model (A bit pricey) that has 4 WS5 S5 attacks (1 for each of the 4 Knights) , 4 WS6 S4 attacks (his own) and 5 WS3 S4 attacks (the Cold One's). When you look at it in those terms, 205 points isn't that bad! Add to that the ability to re-roll break tests and you have a very effective model.
The Word of Pain

Elánduil
Highborn

Post by Elánduil »

And when you look at that, why would'nt you take it every time :?:

Sounds awesome when you actually look at it like that :mrgreen:

So you've been playing 20 years of Druchii, that's scary, you've been playing Druchii longer than I've been around !lol!

You must be dam good... oh wait you won a tournament, my bad :D

Good stuff and nice lists :D
15 Orc Boar Boyz: 270
Full Command: 38
Warbanner: 25
Realising they still can't kill Chaos Knights: Priceless

There are some things points can't do, for everything else there's Chaos...
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Elánduil wrote:

So you've been playing 20 years of Druchii, that's scary, you've been playing Druchii longer than I've been around !lol!

You must be dam good... oh wait you won a tournament, my bad :D

Good stuff and nice lists :D

Sorry, I amy have misslead you. I've only been playing Warhammer for just over 2 years. I started playing Druchii when their version 6 (current) book came out! I fell in love with the corsair models and now they sit gathering dust.
The Word of Pain

Elánduil
Highborn

Post by Elánduil »

Ahh I get ya, still longer than me though :mrgreen: though I don't play Druchii, I play the brutal and sometimes... rarely... ok very rarely deadly Orcs and Goblins :mrgreen:.

I will meet you one day WoP and I will be... actually I'll get thrashed but oh wellz :mrgreen:
15 Orc Boar Boyz: 270
Full Command: 38
Warbanner: 25
Realising they still can't kill Chaos Knights: Priceless

There are some things points can't do, for everything else there's Chaos...
Alith anar
Shadowking

Post by Alith anar »

The Word of Pain wrote:
Alith_Anar wrote:I know you said that you were lucky to not face any of your nemesis armies, but I have a question for you: how would you deal with skirmishing swarms? They're getting more common as we speak... just a though?

A number of ways. Ignore that flank. (they tend to be put on a flank, as protection) Shoot them with Dark Riders. (OK, they are harder to hit, but really easy to wound)
Chillwind/Doombolt them. Really easy to wound and if you use chillwind at least they won't be shooting at you next turn. ;)
Once down to one base on 3/4 wounds, charge in with Dark Riders to finish them off.
It's all to do with target prioritisation. Deal with what you have to now, now. Then what you can deal with now, now. Leave the rest until you can deal with it.

I still don't buy it (no offense) :) I always use my 5 swarms to counter the biggest threat, and that's not always on the flank. I have other stuff to go on the flank... glory to the horned rat :) Of course you can shoot them... but you have 10 crossbows and the magic will not go through (I have 3 Warlocks). Of course I know that things can go either way, and that my Rats would probably end up fleeing the field :mrgreen:

But I agree that Chillwind would be good against them. Those shooting swarms are a menace ;)
Regards, A.A.

"Epic Krueger the Mousefrightened was a trap, to see whether we'd generalize. Lose faith. Whine. Die inside.

And when the light seemed darkest... we get the visual equivalent of the opening lick from Thunderstruck."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

In my list I would just throw a unit of 10 Warriors at them to tie them up while I skirt round or away from then.

In my cavalry army I just avoid them quite easily really. Invariably the Skaven field many more units than I at 2000pts which can restrict their movement somewhat on certain terrain.

In short, there is no hard and fast answer to your question, every game, battlefield and opponent is different. The real skill comes in using experience to adapt whatever list you are using, for any given circumstance.
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Alith_Anar wrote:I still don't buy it (no offense) :) I always use my 5 swarms to counter the biggest threat, and that's not always on the flank. I have other stuff to go on the flank... glory to the horned rat :)

5 swarms! Good god man, how many points do you play? 5 I'd deal with differently. As DA has said charge something in to keep them occupied.
The Word of Pain

Sugacapra
Black Guard

Post by Sugacapra »

The Word of Pain wrote:
Shockwave wrote:Nice list and congrats. Quite simaliar to what i Knights) , 4 WS6 S4 attacks (his own) and 5 WS3 S4 attacks (the Cold One's). When you look at it in those terms, 205 points isn't that bad! Add to that the ability to re-roll break tests and you have a very effective model.

reroll break test?? how?
Lord ark'arn
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lord ark'arn »

well, against swarms, id use black horror, with most swarms having strength of 2 (Tk tomb swarm) and id think skven rat swarm would be the same, it wouldnt be that hard to get rid of them, only on a 1 you would fail, and against 3 engineers, u would not have a single combat hero, and then id use my noble on dark pegasus to wipe them out if any were in the open, and i wouldnt let u get skitter leap off, cause id save my dispel dice for that
The Council of Lakulei is coming.
We will call out to you and when we do, we shall make the Druchii race thrive once again.
The Council of Lakulei will rule over Naggaroth.
I will be there: Lord Ark’arn, High General commanding the Spirit of Lakulei
The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

sugacapra wrote:
The Word of Pain wrote: Add to that the ability to re-roll break tests and you have a very effective model.

reroll break test?? how?

He's a Battle Standard Bearer. As a Battle Standard Bearer he allows you to reroll break tests. Check out the main rules book
The Word of Pain

The word of pain
Malekith's Best Friend

Lord Ark'arn wrote:well, against swarms, id use black horror, with most swarms having strength of 2 (Tk tomb swarm) and id think skven rat swarm would be the same, it wouldnt be that hard to get rid of them, only on a 1 you would fail, and against 3 engineers, u would not have a single combat hero, and then id use my noble on dark pegasus to wipe them out if any were in the open, and i wouldnt let u get skitter leap off, cause id save my dispel dice for that

Black Horror is wasted on swarms.....it only takes off 1 wound per base, not the whole base!
The Word of Pain

Oeric
Master Assassin

Post by Oeric »

The Word Of Pain wrote:Black Horror is wasted on swarms.....it only takes off 1 wound per base, not the whole base!

yea, and normally that would kill a whole base! wow, just use a unit of rxbowmen, shoot them, then ty them up in combat (two ranks and shields should do you well)