Dead in the water - Pirate Zombie list

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Dead in the water - Pirate Zombie list

Post by Mr_piechee »

Well, in this month’s white dwarf there’s a new zombie list for the lustria campaign. At first look it’s a bit tacky, and looks like some list to try and make the campaign more interesting to all, but its not actually that bad.

I think the list has alot of potential, so first off I want your opinions on it.
But the real reason for this post is the leviathan. When I saw this I got a bit stumped. The first thing I thought of was the leviathan from age of mythology (an age of empires spin of, a good one at that). In this the leviathan is a water bound troop transport with one hell of a kick. But I thought how could this be brought into warhammer. Any way, I went to search on google, and found loots of image depicting them as long dragon like creatures, which are mainly water bound, but lots of them had them moving through land like snakes. So this is where I thinking for a model:

i reckon that the model would need to be a long snake like creature with 2 sets of 'fins'. One larger set just behind the head and one smaller set halfway down the body. I also am thinking that it should have a long sort of fin from the top f its head down to about the second set of fins. But not sure...
I think it should be like the steed of slaanesh only loads bigger. I think the tail of the wood elf dragon would be a good start, and maybe the head from the dragon 2... but stumped on what else to use.
The dark elf harpy wings could be good for the second set of fins, but I think they might be 2 small.

Any way any help with that would be greatly appreciated. But I have one more question: What the hell is the Queen Bess???? I get that it’s a big cannon, but is that all... is it mounted on a ship, or is it like the hell cannon?
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Queen Bess is like Sigmar's Hammer (if you remember that) from SoC. If you have the SoC book, there's a picture of the giant cannon- just imagine that Queen Bess is something like that, albeit more ramshackle and less ornate. The list in general is pretty much bound to be a gunline, since zombies are such crappy fighters and more can't be raised. I'm sure you could try an offshoot of this, but it would probably be difficult (after all, you are working with zombies :? ). In terms of modeling a leviathan, I think it's a great opportunity to use a dragon body/ head as well so I'm all for it. Based off of something like this 1865 painting, you don't really need too many parts other than 4 wings (2 large 2 small, I'd probably use harpy or fell bat wings for the small ones) and a body+ head.
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.c ... iathan.png
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

«The wonder has a name: pmpn8ez.»
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

nah hah...

but it doesn't have to be a gun line... you just have masses of zombies in units og 30+ and just tie up the enemy whilst ur leviathan and animated hulks have some dinner...

one thing though... zombies get no penelties for moving and shooting (the always hit on a 6), so does that mean they can move and shoot with a handgun??

but another thingu could do, is play lots of bloated corpses hidden behind a long line of zombies with pistols... walk them forward and then reform them when u get toe the enemy and the a load of bloated corpses can charge into the enemy. each corpse in a deffernt unit so u'll only loss as many as they have shooting weapons.. then u just get them in combat and shoot them with u own cannons!!! then they explode and they do damage as well as u cannon!!!!

the leviathan could be fun to make, but still not sure on all the parts... i'm thinking it has to be real long... like using the 3 tail parts of the woodelf dragon and the neck and head part... then use the 2 tail part again to make it even longer.... not sure though..
but how would u make the bloated corpses?
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Zentaricai
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zentaricai »

you just have masses of zombies in units og 30+

u won't bea ble to afford masess because you'll need points for all the other stuff you want to bring...

and Zombies masses will get torn to pieces if they can't be "replenished"

play lots of bloated corpses

this could have been a great unit but they can just be shot down before getting close to anyone (unlike fanatics) and the template attack isnt' that great. Big let down by GW on this very cool idea. They should have been 50 points a piece and act like a slow fanatic....

could be fun to make

that's really the only merit this army really has--its "fun to make" other than that--doesn't have much to it.
DON'T MONKEY WITH MY BUSINESS
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Mr_PieChee wrote:one thing though... zombies get no penelties for moving and shooting (the always hit on a 6), so does that mean they can move and shoot with a handgun??

No, since a handgun is still "move or fire". If they were using a weapon that was allowed to move and fire, like a longbow, they could move and fire it without penalty. Then again, you can still get moving cannons, which is pretty cool.
"We are the most civilized race in the world. We have more exquisite ways to kill than any other." -Lord Vraneth the Cruel, master of Har Ganeth

Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

Like pmpn8ez say's the only move and shoot are the pistols and the carronades.

One question i've been thinking about, is since you can fire cannons into close combat, (just randomizing who gets hit for the front ranks.) can you fire grapeshot into combat?

If you can running a screen of rats in front of the carronades would be fun :twisted:
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

Zentaricai wrote:this could have been a great unit but they can just be shot down before getting close to anyone (unlike fanatics) and the template attack isnt' that great. Big let down by GW on this very cool idea. They should have been 50 points a piece and act like a slow fanatic....

yeh they would be cool as fanitcis... but better if they just hdie in the unit and then run out as soon as a unit is in charge range.. no random moveing.
and if u read what i put u could save them.... it u play a map without much senery (wich cing as most of them come out of the water u won't) u can move a long line of zomibies forward with the bloated dudes behind....

but what happened to the rule where they can come on from any water peice on the board!!!! that was in the pirate unit so why no in the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think your putting the list down 2 much, but it does need some fixes
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Gee wrote:Like pmpn8ez say's the only move and shoot are the pistols and the carronades.

One question i've been thinking about, is since you can fire cannons into close combat, (just randomizing who gets hit for the front ranks.) can you fire grapeshot into combat?

If you can running a screen of rats in front of the carronades would be fun :twisted:

You can never fire into combat- these are just basic rules of shooting, found right in your BRB. Skaven can ignore this because of their special rules, but other than them, shooting may never be targetted into combat, though scatters/ bounces/ etc. may take a shot into a combat where damage will be assigned normally.

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

y can't u fire into combat.. u always used to ba able to....

(and gee y would u randomis thefront rank with a cannon when its a template?? [the cannon ball is a template by the way])
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

6th edition has never allowed you to shoot into combat, ever. The rule still hasn't changed. Unless the special rules of the weapon expressly allow it to be shot into combat (which only Skaven have), you can't shoot into combat.

Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

but y, thats stupid.. if u orcs it will seem like a gd idea to shoot the gobos that are in combat.. the undead will think its gd cause they just raise them again... thats a stupid rule... i think we should rebel and eat pie!!!!!! (this is not off topic, just a bit twisted)

and back to the bloated men.. how would u model them?
Pmpn8ez
Evil Vampire Lord Fluffy

Post by Pmpn8ez »

Ok, I don't make the rules. It's not really stupid, since gobbos crew the machines and orcs would eat gobbos who shot at them (obviously, they're also more afraid of the orcs than the enemy). With VC, they don't have shooting; the only model that uses the shooting phase is the banshee, who may howl into combat. With TK, these were warriors loyal to one another in life and now in death; they don't kill each other. If you don't like it, I can't really do anything for you. If I was looking to model bloated corpses, I'd start with a zombie body and add lots of green stuff all round, then use a cigarette lighter to melt it a bet and give a diseased, soggy effect from being drowned under the sea for so long.

Gee
Corsair

Post by Gee »

A slight advantage that bloated corpses provide is that since they are individual units, they can be used to gain a slight (very) tactical advantage in seeing how your opponent places their army.
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

never thought of that.. but yeh..

you should still be able to raise zombies
Fenbeast
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Fenbeast »

pmpn8ez wrote:If I was looking to model bloated corpses, I'd start with a zombie body and add lots of green stuff all round, then use a cigarette lighter to melt it a bet and give a diseased, soggy effect from being drowned under the sea for so long.

You could also melt the plactic models by pouring a load of poly cement on top. Just be careful you don't gas youself (or the cat).
Fish and Chips.
Alkkrision
Daemon Prince

Post by Alkkrision »

Spanner_in_the_works wrote:
pmpn8ez wrote:If I was looking to model bloated corpses, I'd start with a zombie body and add lots of green stuff all round, then use a cigarette lighter to melt it a bet and give a diseased, soggy effect from being drowned under the sea for so long.

You could also melt the plactic models by pouring a load of poly cement on top. Just be careful you don't gas youself (or the cat).

That would work, I managed to drop my Termagant in a puddle of the stuff that exploded out of the tube yesterday, took me 20-30 mins to put the model together and now it looks all roasted, which I'm not happy about.

Bloated Corpses could easily be done with Green Stuff, although really try to thin some of it out so it looks like when the Zombie is touched, it will just go ape and go boom, releasing ammonia and methane and all manner of nasty gases everywhere.
The slann
Warrior

Post by The slann »

Has anybody noticed the useless magic item? There is a cutlass in the list that confers killing blow, and the only character who can take it is a character who has killing blow in his basic profile...
Armies I want...
CWE
Another Dark Eldar Army
'Nids

Fantasy
Druchii
Clan Pestilens
Another Tomb Kings Army
2 Hordes of Chaos- Tzeentch AND Khorne
Wood Elves

And I expect there'll be more... watch this space :P
Wirewolf
Executioner

Post by Wirewolf »

Hi

@The Slann - Yeah I saw that one too. Some times I wonder if they have any one double checking lists on the WD staff.

This list would be fun in a fluffy/comical way. Something to do if you had time (and $$$).
"How can you keep them down on the farm after they've seen Karl Hungus?" - The Dude, The Big Lebowski

"you are insignificant...you are a coward...you are a big DISAPOINTMENT TO YOUR MOTHER AND I!!" - Spacker Dave, The Punisher
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

the money an't too much of a prob, its the time that is.... i got loads of unmade zmobeis and my dad has lots of empire men i could steal.
the zombies are easy, u could get 60+ out of i box of empire and zombies. my dad has so many hats fromt he old regement boxes taht i can make them all look like pirates.

the thing is that the list sucks. it is a nicce army to make and look at, but i'm not going ot win very often... with my snotling army that don't amtter cause its fun.... but this i can just c a shooting line missing, and zombies dieing before they get to the enemy....

the only way i can c of winning, is with lots of moving cannons, and a wall of zombies that reform to let some corpses through.....
Vellvetshadow
Trainee Warrior

Post by Vellvetshadow »

does anyone else get the feeling that some one at WD saw
pirates of the caribeen and made this list
Your originality is your indevitualty.

Cast Him from the throne

Welcome to the Calm
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

lol.. at first maybe.. but ther rules don't realy tie up.. i think they might have seen it and that could have sparked it off, but the idea have been around for ages. the fluff has been there since the biggingin of the lizardmen