Druchii Burials?

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Seanzala
Death Jester

Druchii Burials?

Post by Seanzala »

Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity, when a Druchii noble dies, what is done to his body? All cultures have something different, most commonly burials and cremations, with small details that are differenet in each, such as the coins to pay the boatman etc. What to Druchii do?

Sean
Ashnari doomsong
Highborn

Post by Ashnari doomsong »

Good question. I'd say that Morai-Heg might still be worshipped as the Crone, but I'm not sure.
General Kala wrote:...reasons for taking Dark Riders are secondary to their unparallelled ability to rush up and shout "nah na na-naah nah", escape, and do it again...

Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

Not by the masses. There's undoubtebly a Reaper Aspect of Khaine that collects souls to bring to Khaine's Kingdom.

I'd imagine the Druchii burials would be a variation of those still practiced in the Shadowlands, but I forget what those are atm.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Druchii are traditionally burned, these days. They used to be buried in remote tombs as was the custom in Nagarythe.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Hawk
Beastmaster

Post by Hawk »

They used to be buried in remote tombs as was the custom in Nagarythe.

Might be a silly question, but what is a remote tomb?
Pierce him with a thousand bolts! Slice him into a million bits! Smash his head into a bloody pulp! I don't care! Just bring me the damn cake!
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

A tomb located in a remote area. Remote as in isolated, middle of nowhere, by itself. Can't really think of a word that fits in as nicely.

OK, thanks for the answers.

Sean
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Burial grounds some distance away from the main cities, wherein the greatest nobles were entombed. A seperate tomb building was constructed for each of the lords, eventually creating a city of tombs.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

I think the necropolis system would have the slight downside that the ground is going to be really too hard to dig in for a good proportion of the year so that you would have to go the mausoleum route. That's fine if its reasonably close to home and you can keep a watch on it to ward off tomb robbers and scavenging beasts (like jackels, bears and Hung) but in the wilderness of Naggaroth its going to be more trouble than its worth.

I think they would generally fall into three categories
- Cremation, most common one, doesn't eat up space in the city and is vaguely reminiscent of Malekith's experiences in the shrine of Asuryan.

- Crypts beneath the city, large basements underneath family compounds and palaces where the bodies of ancestors are laid to rest. Some of the cities may have these in the warrens and catecombs that used to be the lower regions of the Black Arks before they were used to found the city. Probably more for the rich who don't have their own crypts and those more powerful members who wised to be laid to rest within the stones of their ancestral homelands.

- Slightly odder things, small mausoleums in the wilderness manned by a few dedicated guards, taken for burial at sea or in Ulthuan, fed to their descendants etc.
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Seleth
Executioner

Post by Seleth »

Because of the ways of the druchii (the nobles affairs, ther quest for power, betrayal, and all that stuff that druchii society lives with) i do not think that druchii nobles have funerals or honors from other nobles or the cities. i think more of family crypts or something like the death of Stalin :P
Follow only the true path:
The one of Anaerion the Defender.
The one of Malekith the Conqueror.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

You never know, it might be very beneficial to send condolences to a family when one of its members dies. You can bet that the family will be keeping track of who showed up for services and who didn't ;)

He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Lextalionis
Beastmaster

Post by Lextalionis »

I doubt that families would hold much real sentimentality about the passing of a family member, it thins out competition for power within the household. I think most noble's would be cremated.

Fingol Darkwater wrote:You never know, it might be very beneficial to send condolences to a family when one of its members dies. You can bet that the family will be keeping track of who showed up for services and who didn't ;)

Why would monitoring who comes to the funeral be beneficial? Half the people attending would be there just for the occassion and to check up on whether their hired assassins had performed well. :twisted:
Lextalionis
Shade
WS:5 S:2 T:4 D:5 I:3
Basic Stealth. Stealth. Precision Shot. Rapid Fire. Acrobatics
Equipped; Short Sword, 2xDagger, Repeater Crossbow, Repeater Crossbow Pistol, Shade Cloak

225 G
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

Why would monitoring who comes to the funeral be beneficial? Half the people attending would be there just for the occassion and to check up on whether their hired assassins had performed well.
In a society that thrives on intrigue and political manipulation, monitoring attendance at events such as funerals, birth and marriage ceremonies, and other rites of passage, would be HIGHLY beneficial to the hosts. The host family would be able to gauge the level of support they enjoyed, and confirm alliances with other families through checking the attendance records. It would show a degree of disrespect to the host family NOT to attend the funeral rites of a family member, and show at least `surface` support by attending.

There is little background material on the subject, but I see rites of passage, and family oriented ceremonies following a loosley `feudal` set up. Allies, retainers and other stakeholders would show visible support through attending such events, and imply a lessening or suspension of such support by NOT attending.

I do agree that the sponsers of successful assassinations would definately attend the funerals of the unfortunate victims mainly to gloat, but also to publically deflect suspicion of themselves.

In an internicide society, attendance and non-attendance at important social events (including funerals/burial rites), would be a powerful symbol of support or disdain towards the host family.
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Victor's right. Prestige and networking would play a huge part in the event, Elves are highly politically minded creatures remember.

I doubt that families would hold much real sentimentality about the passing of a family member, it thins out competition for power within the household.

On the list of things that a Druchii would actually love, family members are always number one. Druchii society is highly family oriented and the members of the deceased's family would definately be sorry he/she's gone, if not for the sheer fact that every elven life is precious.

He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Seleth
Executioner

Post by Seleth »

Fingol Darkwater wrote:Victor's right. Prestige and networking would play a huge part in the event, Elves are highly politically minded creatures remember.

I doubt that families would hold much real sentimentality about the passing of a family member, it thins out competition for power within the household.

On the list of things that a Druchii would actually love, family members are always number one. Druchii society is highly family oriented and the members of the deceased's family would definately be sorry he/she's gone, if not for the sheer fact that every elven life is precious.
I disagree with Fingol.

Indeed the druchii society is family oriented because of noble houses and that, but Malus and mengil are clear examples that there are no strong bounds between their members. i dont think that they would mourn for their members. The members of a druchii family are not loved, they are useful or not.
And i dont think that druchii have moral dilemas with killing another elf...
Ashnari doomsong
Highborn

Post by Ashnari doomsong »

Bah, you're just painting them black. That's no fun.
Both Malus and Mengil are clear examples of insane and distrusted Druchii. Malus "Kinslayer", anyone?
General Kala wrote:...reasons for taking Dark Riders are secondary to their unparallelled ability to rush up and shout "nah na na-naah nah", escape, and do it again...

Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Exactly, and Mengil's captain dumped him off in the old world for a reason. He's an uncontrolable freak, and there's no place for that sort of extreme in Druchii society. Also, if there were no strong bonds between members of a family, the whole family oriented system wouldn't work. It would be based on individuals alone.

He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Belial
Modest Member

Post by Belial »

No matter whats going on with those two, I hardly think two individuals can count as representive of a whole races social norms. Really, you can find loners and outsiders in any country/nation/faction/race.
Tastyfish
Arch-deviant of the Cult of Pleasure

Post by Tastyfish »

Rakarth's originally background (about the horse, rather than the Dragon) mentioned that family is one of the most important things to a druchii, though they usually can't resist gambling even at the expense of their family. But then those sort of high stakes games are pretty much the things that seperate dark and hig elf politics - the druchii are much more willing to take risks in return for big pay offs.
Want to write background or fluff for the Herald? PM me
Seleth
Executioner

Post by Seleth »

Ok, maybe Mengil and Malus are the extreme, but i visualize druchii like a society focused in the earn of power, and their allies or enemies 8inside druchii society of course) depend of how profitable is for them to have them. And i dont think the druchii would doubt to move against one mber of their own family to grow in power.
...or matbe i have just read too much of salvatore's books 8)

(who would say than an innocent forum about druchii burials would became a debate about druchii society? i love druchii.net!!!)
The scorpion of terra
Trainee Warrior
Location: Not sure ... curse the Uncertanity Principle (but I think it is in the UK)

Post by The scorpion of terra »

Indeed, the fact that Malus earned the unique moniker of "The Kinslayer" indicates that what he did was extremely unusual, and thus such an abnormality cannot be taken as representaive of Druchii behaviour.
Knowledge=Power
Power=Energy
Energy=Matter
Matter=Mass

Therefore a large library is just a black hole on disguise

House Kharamond will rise
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

(
who would say than an innocent forum about druchii burials would became a debate about druchii society? i love druchii.net!!!)

Home away from home pal ;)

i dont think the druchii would doubt to move against one mber of their own family to grow in power.

It depends. The only people you can rely on in Druchii society is your family, and it works both ways between members. You can't be garunteed any stability or protection at all if your family suspects you to be moving against your brother/cousin/whatever. However, if someone in your family screws up big time ie. there's very little hope of covering up the mess, then the family might concent to have that relative replaced.

He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Lordofthenight
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Lordofthenight »

The Scorpion of Terra wrote:Indeed, the fact that Malus earned the unique moniker of "The Kinslayer" indicates that what he did was extremely unusual, and thus such an abnormality cannot be taken as representaive of Druchii behaviour.

I think it's more the fact he got caught doing it, rather than the deed itself. Killing is all well and good, but you can't just off someone and not expect to get called up on it. You have to do it in a way you can't be blamed.
Punishment leads to Fear. Fear leads to Obedience. Obedience leads to Freedom. Therefore, Punishment leads to Freedom.

Kuyoz Nightkiller
WS: 4 S:3 T:3 D:4 I:4
Repeater Crossbow, Short Sword, Shade Cloak, Light Armour
5 throwing daggers, 90gc