Increase my own level, by GeOrc

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Georc
Assassin

Increase my own level, by GeOrc

Post by Georc »

hi all,
after visiting a workshop with Jérémie Bonamant Teboul in the first week of this year I have started to incorporate the learned stuff. I learned a lot of new ways in painting miniatures and aalso a lot of tricks. After some time thinking about all that I decied to add the new learned things to my skills and advance some of these things.
For training and experimenting I decied to paint two identic miniatures, one in the old way and an other in the new way.
Here I will show my results with some notes:

Priming:
The workshop teach us to prime white with short shots from above and below. Both in an angle of 45° to get a equally priming. The result shoul look brown (yes you reead right) because the priming is to rough the surface not to be a closed white undercoat. I never thought how important this could be and how much this influence the later painting which becomes more easy.
I decieded here to try out something new. I primed both miniatures black and closed the surface with painting everything with thinned chaos black.

Then I took one of these miniatures and primed it the teached workshop way. The idea was to combine both positive aspects of the difficult priming methodes

Then I started the paint job with the skin colour. From now miniature 1 is the old way of painting, miniature two is the new way of painitng:

The skin

miniature1:
I used a blending technic whichs started from the darker colors and add more and more highlight until I reached the light colors. For the skin I used only bleached bone and chaos black and different mixes between these two colors. The problem here, two light up the dark surface you need very much layers and the big difference between the start color and the light color makes it difficult to paint a smooth blending. I needa lot of time here but with a ot of highlighting and shading a get a good, but no execellent result. Here I don´t use a light source, I paint by the GW rule, high surfaces are light and deeper surfaces are darker.

miniature2:
Here I udes a new blending technic which starts with a color which is situated by 70% of the colorgradient. Here this was pure bleached bone. Then I had to do a lot of shading which is a lot easier than highlighting. On the workshop I learned a new rule: never use pure black or pure white. Always put a warm color into highlights (here white, the warm color to add is bleached bone) and a blue color into shadows (here black, the cold color was a mix of chaos black and hawk turquoise). Based on these rule I used these colors to create mixes for shadows and highlights. Also I add a zenith light source. The rule for it is that all surfaces vertical to the light source are the most light ones. The surfaces below are the darkest. The miniature is first painted with a overall blending form the top to the feet, Then it is seperated in mind in different geometric forms (arms and legs like zylinders) which are also painted with the right light effect rule for these forms. After that detail situations are put into the blendings like deeper shadows or parts which are opposit to the light source. It´s very complicated to explain and much more to understand and learn evan if someone shows you but if you master the result is breath taking. I´m very pleased with this second try but it could be much better.

The face

The main work here are the eyes, lips and some make up.

miniature1:
Here I used my old colour schema. blue eye shadow, red lips and and eays way for painting eyes. The eyes are a highlight from codex grey to skul white with a black dot for iris and pupil. The lips are painted on base of scab red highlighted with dwarf flesh and some red ink for a wet effect.

miniature 2:
Here I try out some color theory based stuff. I used opposit colours for eyes and eye shadow here green eyes and magenta eye shadow to get a maximum contrast. The eyes are painted in avery realistic way with eye color (here green) for the iris, a black dot for the pupil. also a white very fine dot is put into the black one to show the light reflection. The lips are the same like miniature one, but instead of red ink I used the gloss vanish. Also the lips are painted by the rules of zenthal lightning

loincloth

miniature 1
Here I primed the surface of the loincloth with a mix of liche purple and chaos black. Then I used pure liche purple and liche purple mixed with dwarf Flesh (more dwarf flesh for lighter highlights) for the highlights.

miniature 2
All highlights were set by the same zenith light source. First a overall blending from top to bottem was painted and then I cared for the details.
I primed the surface with liche purple. First I shade the loincloth. For that Mixed a mix of Chaos Black and Hawk Turquoise with Liche Purple (Remember adding cold colours to shades here again the hawk turquoise - chaos black mix). The highlights where done in the same colours like discribed under miniature 1.
The details:
In a second shading step I darkened the deeper areas with the normal shading colour and also I darkend the bottom surfaces opposit to the light source. Also I highlight the upper surfaces close to the light source with a mix of light mix of bleached bone and liche purple.

First Gold NMM:

Miniature 1
I used my typical colours for Gold NMM (Chaos Black; Scorched Brown; Snakebite Leather; Golden Yellow; White and all the midtones btween them) . I used the normal metal blending rule: painting upper surfaces dark and bottom surfaces light (opposit to normal blendings / zenital light situations) The tights are painted wrong, but I mentioned it to late so I doesn´t change. The crown is also painted opposit to this rule but this is a choosen error because of a favoured contrast between light gold area on the top and the dark hair.

Miniature 2
I used the same colours here but doesn´t paint from dark to light. I started with a snakebite leather - golden yellow mix which becomes a fatal mistake. Painting GOLD NMM based on black surface can´t be repeated in the same way on a white surface!
The colour becomes to light on the white surface and all looks to brownish. The whole thing end in a choatic blending which I can´t repeat here. I have learned to dark the normal lighter mixes with scorched brown and 7 or chaos black. The result are strange colours like olive green etc. which were excellent for painiting the gold. I will try again then painting the second session Gold NMM and hope it becomes better. Because of the application of the blendings. I used the zential light source to set the highlights. Direct vertical surfaces like the middle of the shoulder armour becomes light and then gets darker to the edges. Parallel surfaces to the light source with a light angle out of the miniature were painted by the metal rule described above (can be seen on the tights, here correctly). Some surfaces are a mix of both rules like the crown.

First silver NMM

miniature 1
Here I paint my normal silver NMM based on the the colours Chaos Black, Codex Grey, Fortress Grey and Scull White and mixes between these colours. I don´t use a rule system here. Some surfaces are painted by the rules described by gold NMM, others are highlighted by the GW rule described above. I worked from black to the lightest highlights and end with reflection lines which is here more an edge lining than based on real reflections.

miniature 2
I started the painting of the NMM with priming the white surfaces with codeax grey. Then I shade with a mix Codex Grey / Chaos Black and with pure Chaos Black. The shading was a lot of work becasue the dark elf should be very dark. For setting the blendings I used the zenital light which dictates the two rules described above. The highlights I made with Fortress Grey and Scull White. After painting the Fortress Grey Highlights I used some very thinned Ice Blue and put some layers on the light surface. This is a heaven reflection and helps to make the metal more metalic. Then I set the reflection line but only on part there really a total reflection is possible. The feet get some shading with Scorched Brown. One one hand this is dirt, on the other a reflection of the ground. Also I put some scratches all over the metal to give it a more used and realistic look. also I add some blood the the right arm armour.

Tights:

miniature 1
Here I used Grey-colours, which I shade with Chos Black. For the light situation I tried to support the shape of the legs with using the GW rule.

miniature 2
This blending based on Bleched Bone. The surface was primed with bleached Bone first and then shaded with a Bleached Bone CHaos Black Mix and then with pure Chaos Black. The zenital lights is here also involved. For the highlight I used Bleached Bone to light up the darken areas (after shading) and put some additional spots with a mix of Bleached Bone and Skull White. Very carefuly I painted again the fine lines in he tights. I´m very leased with the final result. It looks very harmonic and supports the legs light colours (based also on Bleached Bone) with the fine dark net of the tights.

leather

miniature 1
For my classic leather parts I start with priming the parts scorched brown. Then I add highlights with a mix of scorched brown and graveyard Earth, Graveyard Earth and Bleached Bone. All blendings are painted by the GW rule. The result becomes a bit to light and in following it looks a bit transparent. This is a nice effect which wasn´t planned that way.

miniature 2
Here I tried out Jeremies special receipt for a realisic leather. For that prime the white surface with bestial brown. Then shade it with a mix of Dark Flesh, Red Gore, Shadow Mix (Hawk Turquoise and Chaos Black) and Chaos Black. Then add the first highlight with snakebite leather. THen a secon with a mix of Snakebite Leather and Bleached Bone. Add some specks with bleached bone for more realism, also some cracks with the line of shadow mix and line below with bleached Bone for the reflection. If it´s too dark you can light it a bit with very thinned Bleached Bone, if it´s too light shade it with the shadow mix. For more gloss you can use chestnut ink.

Second Gold NMM

miniature 1
In this step I painted the missing gold part. I used exactly the same technic, described above by First Gold NMM

miniature 2
Here I solved the starting Problem. I did a darker start and used a Snakebite Leather - Chaos Black Mix for priming the upcoming gold parts. Then I shade with scorched brown and a mix of scorched Brown and Chaos Black. The highlights I did with snake bite leather, Golden Yellow and different Golden Yell - Skull White mixes. Additionally I used some different Snake Bite Leather - Chaos Black Mixes... (look greenish) some with a bit scorched Brown in them to add some thin layers which gives a more realistic look.

The dagger

miniature 1
here I painted a normal silver NMM Blending from dark (inside the mini) to light (outside the mini) Each surface is opposit blended to an other so that always a dark side is edged to a light side and backward. For the colours see above silver NMM.

miniature 2
Here I did the same like on miniature 1. Additionally I add here some Ice blue in the lighter highlights to add a light sky reflection and a bit scorched brown and a it snakebite leather for reflection the gold of the haft. Also I add some cacks with Chaos Black for the crack and Skull White for the reflection below it.

The hair:

miniature 1
Here I used different Grey Mixs from Chaos Black, Codex Grey and Fortress Grey to light up the hait. Further I did some shading with a dark Chaos Black, Codex Grey Mix. I continue using the GW rule for painting the highlights. The red parts I painted with priming them with dark Flesh and light them a bit with a mix of dark Flesh and Red Gore.

miniature 2
Here I use the same mixes like on miniature 1. Additionally I add some more light on the surfaces in direct line to the light source to get a better light effect through zenital light. For them I add a mix of Fortress Grey and Skull White and some pure very thinned Skull White.

Basing

miniature 1
my classic miniature gets the classic base. I add the typical white / Black marble. The Dark stones are painted with Chaos Black, some stripes Codex Grey - Chaos Black Mix light up with thinned Codex Grey. Then I added some fine chaotic lines with fortress Grey. The white stone parts get a priming with Bleaches Bone. hen I add some stripes with very thinned dark Flesh and very thinned Graveyard Earth. I add some moe layers Bleaches bone o get a better link between the colours, then I add some layers of a bleaches Bone - Skull White Mix. The very thin chatoc lines are painted with Scorched Brown. The Sand is drybrushed with Codex Grey, Fortress Grey and Skull White.
Some static grass was added for a more interesting look.

miniature 2
Here I did something similar like on miniature 1 but I tried to repeat most of the colours I used for painting the miniature. SO I add also purple colours and more brown colous with very thinned layers. This helps to creat a more individual base which is in full harmony with the miniature becasue it uses the same colours. The static grass was here painted with brwon colours and also I add some leaf.

The miniatures are now finished and ready to put o my others ;)
Hope this helps a bit for all who wanna learn more about showcase painting. Here the final Pics:

Regards GeOrc
Last edited by Georc on Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I look forward to the next installment.

The difference in skin tone is subtle, but the new way does look a bit nicer and it seems a lot easier. It is similar to the technique I use in that I base coat with a color close to the ultimate highlight color then add both shading and highlights. But I don't have the time or skill to blend as well as you do.

The face on the second model is a lot better than the first. And that's saying something since the first model is already so good. The choice of colors makes all the difference.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Saireth darkblade
Cold One Knight

Post by Saireth darkblade »

wow GeOrc again you amaze me further and where did you learn all of this?
Do not fear death...only Hell

Regardes from,

Saireth Darkblade a Dread Knight of the druchii.
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

I never thought you still had to learn.. ;)

I will look forward to he progres of your work. It amazes me more and more. I have to admit that I desperately try to copy your paintscheme... I hope you don't mind ;)
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

A wonderful series, which will end up in the FAQ when completed. Great job so far, GeOrc. There's a lot to learn still, though I doubt I have the time or the patience to try it out.

What interests me most is the use of cold and warm hints. I wonder if you could not further it a notch by actually incorporating hints of opposite colours (orange-blue, red-green, purple-yellow) into that theory. For instance, in your test model you could perhaps work a tad of coral pink into her skin. Not enough to give her a healthier skin tone, mind you.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Nice as always, GeOrc.

My Devoted are old Witch Elf models, whcih I've primed white for a similar effect. I had a similar idea, and your post sure helped me see. You are wise in following the complimentary colors for the eye makeup (I'm sure gals will agree :P) and it's far more effective.

More info for those who would like to read here and here

I hope to read the next installment soon!

Fr0
Harabec
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Harabec »

Amazing, work! I for one, will definently be waiting for more.
Malustf
Warrior

Post by Malustf »

awesome. purely amazing!

i still have a long............ time till i get skilll like that.
Aaaaachhhhhhuu!!!! *sniff*
Dread lord malice
Noble

Post by Dread lord malice »

The second model looks alot more "real". It sorta has this glow to it. Keep it up. BTW how is the Urial model commin?
Victory is measured in blood. Yours or your enemies.

Give them NOTHING, but take from them EVERYTHING!
Seanzala
Death Jester

Post by Seanzala »

Nice work. The new skintone looks great. I never thought of blending skin rather than highlighting it.

SZ
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Here a preview of the loincloth:

I will add the pic and the discription tomarrow to the first topic

Regards GeOrc
Tijminator
Beastmaster

Post by Tijminator »

Outstanding. That's all I can say about it.

I never thought you could improve even more.

I like the new method more than the old one, but maybe that'll change when both models are finished.

Especially the right arm looks ar better on the 'light' WE.

Tijminator
The Price of Power

Viva la Banana!

Cornixt wrote:Why would anybody stand to wipe? You're closing the one area you want to remain open!
Dread lord malice
Noble

@Tijminator:
I never thought you could improve even more.

You can always improve. Always Da Vinci was still improving and prefecting his skills at the end of his life. :D

But anywho.... Amazing work GeOrc. Keep us posted!

Svään
Slave on the Altar

Post by Svään »

As I already said at tabletopforum....it's just amazing.

at what age did you start practising? 4?^^

just great
two beer or not two beer - that's the question
Icon hack
Druchii Anointed
Druchii Anointed

Post by Icon hack »

So the only difference between the two loincloths is the priming technique, is that right? Because it looks much different in the end, for sure.
Wishing everyone the very best, to the end of your days.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Icon Hack wrote:So the only difference between the two loincloths is the priming technique, is that right? Because it looks much different in the end, for sure.

Not really. If you look closely, the left loincloth is highlighted from deep to shallow, whereas the one on the right takes into account the hypothetic lighting angle.

GeOrc, there's a tiny point of highlight at the top of the fold at the lower left which I'm not too pleased with. You painted that form like a cone, but I don't think it's a good idea to paint such an extreme point of light at the top in the case of a 'soft' area like cloth.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Dread lord malice
Noble

Damnation wrote:
Icon Hack wrote:So the only difference between the two loincloths is the priming technique, is that right? Because it looks much different in the end, for sure.

Not really. If you look closely, the left loincloth is highlighted from deep to shallow, whereas the one on the right takes into account the hypothetic lighting angle.

GeOrc, there's a tiny point of highlight at the top of the fold at the lower left which I'm not too pleased with. You painted that form like a cone, but I don't think it's a good idea to paint such an extreme point of light at the top in the case of a 'soft' area like cloth.

Hmmmm.. Now that its brought to my attention, I gotta agree.
Its been awhile since your last pic post GeOrc. Wheres the goods?! :D

Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Sorry
for the less progress here, but in the moment I´m ill and not motivated to hold a brush :(

@ svään
I started in the age of 19 with the warhammer hobby and also with painting. That was 8 years ago ;)

@ Icon Hack
I added the pics above with some short discription of the used technics and the differences between them

@ Damnation,
I agree two of the lightpoints in the pics look too strong. They look softer in reality, I think this comes from light up the pic with Photoshop while pusing the middle balance to lighter colours.

I hope the next pictures will show the blendings better. I used this angle for the pic because the upper surfaces and the light effect on them are visible.

Regards GeOrc
Dread lord malice
Noble

GeOrc wrote:Sorry
for the less progress here, but in the moment I´m ill and not motivated to hold a brush :(

@ svään
I started in the age of 19 with the warhammer hobby and also with painting. That was 8 years ago ;)

@ Icon Hack
I added the pics above with some short discription of the used technics and the differences between them

@ Damnation,
I agree two of the lightpoints in the pics look too strong. They look softer in reality, I think this comes from light up the pic with Photoshop while pusing the middle balance to lighter colours.

I hope the next pictures will show the blendings better. I used this angle for the pic because the upper surfaces and the light effect on them are visible.

Regards GeOrc

Dont worry we all have problems with motivation!

Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Hi all,
I updated the first posting, here the pic of the day:

Hope you like it and Good luck with try out to follow this painting workshop.

Regards GeOrc
Prince of arnheim
Renegade Reaver

Post by Prince of arnheim »

Wow those are not even done yet and I can see that they blow anything i've ever painted right out of the water!!! This is very refreshing and makes me want to try harder with my next batch of minis. Those skin tones are awesome, I could only hope to acheive such an effect.
Cat-the-odd
Beastmaster

Post by Cat-the-odd »

Oh boy, where to hide in shame?

Your work is really great. Nice to see you up again.

Do you have some tricks with metallic colors? I have read the articles in the german WD, but the shown stuff didn't look as good as the NMM things. I like the metallics for their effeckt on the table, though.
../¨¨¨|
.|ô/ô 9..Real sportsmen hunt with arrows and fish with flies.
.~~ /|...Real gentlemen play games which require skill, not tools.
.|__/\...Extraordinary gentlemen even win with them.
.[>o<]...Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentlemen
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ cat,
no sorry, I only paint NMM, but for a true metal metal the technic is the same, only difference is that you must use metal colours.

For you and all other Germans I will announce here my painting workshop from 23.3.-25.3.07 in Nürnberg. Check here for a detailed description:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/showthread.php?t=88090

Regards GeOrc
Taint
Dark Rider

Post by Taint »

Very very impresive.

Could you (or anyone else for that matter) post a link that might help me learn to paint NMM like that, eventually after lots of practice. !smile! Its a new concept for me.

Also, i think the effects of that white primming are fantastic. Is this a method you would suggest using on all miniatures?
'Trust is the first casualty of war.' The words had barely parted his lips when he died upon his brothers sword.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@ Taint
CMON is a good ressource to start your search for NMM. Perhaps someone can send you some links via PM. Sorry that I haven´t one, but I don´t need them ;)

Because of the priming, yes I think I will continue prime white. The paintjob becomes faster and better quality, two points for the white priming.

Regards GeOrc