Spearwarriors with Noble

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Goldfish
Trainee Warrior

Spearwarriors with Noble

Post by Goldfish »

Hi everyone.
I'm 17 years old from Sweden and I've been attached to Warhammer for to long not to post anything here.
This is my first post here on the awsome Druchii.net forums. I have been reading alot of great tips and got some great ideas from here and finally I put it all togheter and in my eyes I got a very nice result.^^

1st out are 5x2 sized group of warriors with full Command and my General
Unit

2nd out are two shots of my champion in close up
Champion1
Champion2

And last out are my General converted by my older brother.
Noble

Hope you guys enjoy!
Mordrin
Warrior

Post by Mordrin »

Very nice paintjob, others may probably find small flaws here and there but I find it better than what I could accomplish myself. :P

Did you really have to show the noble? Its not that great conversion, one of my earlier, hopefully I can make you a better one soon. ;)

All in all, great job bro.
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

First of all, Welcome to D.Net mate :)

Most Camera's never really give models any justice. Here's a tip.

Turn off Flash on your Camera
Place your models in front of a white piece of paper
Get a globe or lamp close to your models which produce a certain "Daylight" effect. This will make your models stand out more and look much better.

The models themselves are very nice indeed, I like the particular Champion with the horns. You have converted the arms and hands of the Noble nicely so he holds the Two handed sword normally.

With the Warriors robes, try starting off with a dull color such as Scab Red, then work your way up by adding something like Red gore then finishing with Blood red. Maybe then give the robes a wash or some Highlights to make the robes look really neat.

Dry brush your Chain-mail, it gives out a much better effect then plainly painting it with a solid color.
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Narkh
Slave on the Altar

Post by Narkh »

very nice work. :P
Goldfish
Trainee Warrior

Post by Goldfish »

thx the tips Khel, I will try to get some better pics on my future show offs.^^

And about the red. I first use Red Gore as base and then Blood Red. For highlights I use a touch of Blazing Orange. But I belive that the pics kinda messed that up cause the red looks better irl.

Anyways thx for the tips and the nice comments. I'll try to show of some improvment soon.
Scareypete
Beastmaster

Post by Scareypete »

For the Photgraphing Models trick... This sort of work is refered to as Macro Work.

Khel's Suggestions are brilliant for what can be done with your existing equipment to get better pictures of your tiny men. If you really want to go Hog Wild taking Brilliant photo's of Miniatures I suggest looking for acamera designed for the job.

I knwo 17 yr olds dont have much budget but the words you are loocing for in a camera is Image Stabilization. This counters the blur form shakey hands. Also if you can find a "Pocket Camera" with a 1:1 Ratio. This means that it has the ability to focus on things in prefect size and there is no distortion.

My Info might not be 100% accurate since I am regurgitating half formed thoughts from my Wife who happens to be a proffessional photographer. (she will do Macro work for you for an Hourly fee +S&H and not liable for damages during shipping. I will repackage your minis like they were my own) She has a Cannon 20D with a crap load of lenses and one is a 55mm Macro lens with a true 1:1 Ratio.

I wish I knew who made it but they have the "Studio in a box" which is designed for Jewelry photography... tiny lights and a tiny stand to put your camera on.... Use a timer so you dont get Blur from any motion caused when you press the button. Also with a Tripod and timer you have the ability to really slow your shutter speed down... if you have a camera with manual setting this allows more light and detail without the icky glow caused by flashees.
Garluch
Beastmaster

Post by Garluch »

Äntligen en till svensk här på forumet!
The warriors are pretty nice, not an golden deamon but atleast its table top, i like the red robes instead of the traditional purple, reminds me of my paint sceme.
Saint of m
Highborn

Post by Saint of m »

sweet.
Goldfish
Trainee Warrior

Post by Goldfish »

Thx for the tip about Macro Work Scareypete!
I will put them in mind one day but for now just as you said my budget is a little tight so I think I will go with Khels' suggestions. And thanks for the offer about taking pictures, I'm most thankfull.

Yet again thx for all your comments and pls write every opinion you got even thou the pics are a little sucky I would really like to improve my paintwork as much as possible. Thanks all.
Rogo
Trainee Warrior

Post by Rogo »

I like your use of red rather than dark blues of purples that are normally found. Plus I think the Noble conversion is a great idea which I may try.

Rogo
When one good man is hurt all others who are good must suffer with him. - Euripides
That is all well and good, however we are Druchii and we want Man and Traitorous Elves to suffer alike.