shadowblade and unit assasins

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

shadowblade and unit assasins

Post by Cougar_roger »

Having never fielded an assasin in a game I was wondering on the mechanics of how they worked. Shadowblade can be deployed in a unit and is "caught" on a die roll of 1. If this is true, do you make this roll during the compulsory phase and tip your hand that you have him somewhere hidden in your opponents army? He can be revealed in turn 2 but I guess if you keep him hidden you continue to make rolls. Now, as an example, if the unit he is in charges one of your units, are you allowed to reveal him before the charge and attack first, possibly negating the charge if he does enough damage to panic a unit? What if that unit happens to charge the unit you have a mini-assasin in? Do both assasins now attack first? Finally, when you reveal your assasins, where do you place him and do you immediately go for the character kill?

Thanks in advance for the answers.
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Matras
Noble

Post by Matras »

I guess you won't get too many, since most DE players usually never used them up till now - too expensive for what they did. Therefore, we will have to develop completely new tactical and strategical plans for them.

As for the questions, you can reveal him at any time, so you usually do it before movement to make sure you can let him attack. Otherwise, your unit is charged, he popps out and does his thing.
If Highelves are a pain in the butt, you are facing the wrong way!
Lord temnir
Executioner

Post by Lord temnir »

I've used always one assassin to babysitt my unit of execs (3 ranks; 20;Banner of Slaughter + Highborn with Crimson Death). It was kind of a point denier having "all egg's in one basket" and I wonder myself why it usually worked (once I've got a templeguard in the back but that was the only time they actually lost.

The ASF is the point why I would field one in every unit that is to hold it's ground no matter what comes- otherwise this funny gux is way too expencive to be fielded ;)
Victory is messured by the blood spilled.
Baalirock
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Baalirock »

Shadowblade is one of those heroes that I've always wanted to field, but never have. Now that he's actually in the new book, it gives me an excuse to finally paint his model and let him do his thing. :twisted:

As for the roll to reveal him, as long as you're playing a friendly game, your opponets will probably be ok if you say "I have to make a special roll" before you roll for him. They'll know something is up, but they won't know exactly what... hopefully until you're good and ready.
"Free Yourself From Yourself" -MJK
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Re: shadowblade and unit assasins

Post by Sulla »

cougar_roger wrote:Having never fielded an assasin in a game I was wondering on the mechanics of how they worked. Shadowblade can be deployed in a unit and is "caught" on a die roll of 1. If this is true, do you make this roll during the compulsory phase and tip your hand that you have him somewhere hidden in your opponents army?

Telling your opponent you have shadowblade hidden in his army and rolling to see if he is discovered can sometimes be almost as valuable as the assassin himself in terms of psychological effects (on your opponent).
Quakeboone
Slave on the Altar
Location: Somewhere in the dark... searching for the switch to know where exactly it is

Post by Quakeboone »

He's a beast in combat and can probably gut most characters on the turn he attacks (especialy with PoS). Does anyone know what the "he is caught" means though. In the previous edition i thought it was something like your opponent was the attacker then, and not that he's actually killed. But with ASF this wouldn't turn out as too fatal an event.

I still wonder if it might not be even better to let him be discovered. Then you get the combat phase in your enemy's turn. As he'd kill most weaker units on the turn he arrives, there were another chrage in for you the next turn :twisted:

So any info about how this rule does apply? and i am also curious to see his gifts. In 6th ed he had almost any ability of khaine except the rune i think
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If he is caught he counts as charged (doesn't get his ASF when revealed) and you have to place him in contact with the enemy front.
And you can reveal him yourself at the start of any turn, even the first turn of your enemy and place him anywhere touching the unit he was hiding in (even rear!).

But that's 6th ed rules, no clue if he changed in new book but I hope not.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Quakeboone
Slave on the Altar
Location: Somewhere in the dark... searching for the switch to know where exactly it is

Post by Quakeboone »

mhm i thought in the rumour thread it said something like always ASF.
that kind of disappoints me but hey if you can reveal him in the enemy phase, that would be great fun. though given the chance that he's caught for a second time.

it'd be horrible to watch shadowblade slay a unit, just to watch him standing in a circle of broadly smiling sorcs and musketeers wondering how much fire he can take.

I'll definitely take this guy to the GT

and as we mentioned the psychologic effect. Just put some well apinted assassins and shadowblade on the table at the beginning of the game, no matter if yoo really have them in your list, and watch how that'll change the way your opponent looks at you :lol:
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

From what I've gathered there are several possible builds, some to take on troops, some to take on characters - it depends on what you're looking for and how many points you want to dedicate to it. But as long as the book isn't out yet and full rules aren't quite known it's hard, if not impossible, to give concrete options.

Quakeboone wrote:nd as we mentioned the psychologic effect. Just put some well apinted assassins and shadowblade on the table at the beginning of the game, no matter if yoo really have them in your list, and watch how that'll change the way your opponent looks at you :lol:

I sometimes play with a snotling token or a gnoblar pimp on my side of the table, and it does change the way my opponent looks at me. If you can keep a straight face and discuss tactics with it every once in a while it can conjure a great psychological advantage. If nothing else, it might make the opponent feel outnumbered.
Jamesfazzolari
Highborn

Post by Jamesfazzolari »

Hehe. Thats not to bad Lethalis. In terms of psychological warfare, I once sat in front of the table afer deployment with my head between my hands chessmaster style just watching and anlysing everything. My opponent, who was just finishing up his first movement phase asked "what are you up to?" and I replied "I just played the whole game in my head".

He was suitably unnerved for the rest of the match :P
It is better to try and fail than never having tried at all.
Irtehdar
Assassin

Post by Irtehdar »

Quakeboone wrote:and as we mentioned the psychologic effect. Just put some well apinted assassins and shadowblade on the table at the beginning of the game, no matter if yoo really have them in your list, and watch how that'll change the way your opponent looks at you :lol:
I have always done this whenever I for whatever reason was playing with less than max number of characters in my army. It does make enemies worry. And I do occationally use assassins just about often enough to keep my friends aware that I do sometimes use them. Once a friend started laughing after successfully charging the flank of my RxB unit with some fast cavalry his laughter faded when I actually revealed an assassin in said RxB unit. (I exposed the flank on purpose :twisted: )
jamesfazzolari wrote:Hehe. Thats not to bad Lethalis. In terms of psychological warfare, I once sat in front of the table afer deployment with my head between my hands chessmaster style just watching and anlysing everything. My opponent, who was just finishing up his first movement phase asked "what are you up to?" and I replied "I just played the whole game in my head".

He was suitably unnerved for the rest of the match :P
Do this in the start of the match and extend it slightly into the second phase. After that execute your movement at a high pace to make it appear that you really are just moving along with a predetermined pattern your enemy becomes very worried. Add in a suppressed giggle occationally in your opponents movement phase and you just trashed up the enemy psychologically.

I myself find it fun to do both. This is how true Druchii do battle.
Daddy! I sorta kinda had an accident... I was playing with my slave and it sorta... Umm... It's arm fell off!
*sobs*

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"

Any idiot can measure strenght. Against properly played MSU you must measure something you cannot see.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Finish it off by then questioning your opponent everytime they do something.
"Are you sure you want to charge my spearelves?"
"Are you really sure?"
"They will probably win."
"Your guys are probably out of range"
"All your models are about to die"
"Muhahahha that was stupid now I can flank charge you with my invisible Cold One Knights!"
Then have your spears thorougly wiped out of course but still a lot of fun.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

In the new book Shadowblade can neither be revealed nor discovered in turn one.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

but he might have a hard time killing anything with more then 2W mages or skirmishers (at least if it's true that he has only 4A)
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Von_wibble
Trainee Warrior

Post by Von_wibble »

If discovered the opponent places Shadowblade. Which in general means he won't be able to attack their wizard lord but will have to chop grunts up instead.

In such a scenario, challenge. If he accepts, Dark Venom will ensure you win the combat. If he refuses you haven't lost anything.

With hatred, KB and POS he has reasonable odds against a 3W wizard wthout ward. I would go for that model in most cases - a trasde off of Shadowblade for an enemy character costing more, and some damage to his unit, seems like a good one.

Otherwise I think a war machine seems a good option. If revealed in turn 2
Shadowblade can nail the machine then take the rear of the opponents handgunners (in 1 rank with no banner, and move or fire so no threat there), gradually removing targets.

Can he infiltrate a casket, cauldron or anvil? Do they count as war machines?

If so then Thorek is not such a factor!
Cananatra
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Cananatra »

Also Just to add if Shadowblade is discovered he doesnt get to attack in the next close combat phase.
Group 28- Name: Cananatra; Warrior; Follower of Slaanesh
WS:4 S:4 T:5 D:4 I:3
Equipment: MC Long sword, Throwing Axe, Dagger, Heavy Armour, Slaanesh Amulet, Dalvian Hunting Horn, Rations x 7, Null stone x 1, 525 Gold, Dark Steed, Blackpowder Pistol [18/18]
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Ride, Endurance
Invader_ian
Slave on the Altar

Post by Invader_ian »

It may seem obvious, but with the price drop and options there is an assasin for all occasions. They are too good not to pass up especially since they don't count as hero slots.

That leaving the RxB flank open tactic... I'll have to try that soon. :twisted:

As to shadowblade, make sure you pop him and not your opponent. This is vital, but yes, use him to wreck havic on crews and archers, handgunners et al. I've distracted Grail knights with him. He died, yes, but then they got flanked by execs. He messes with the opponents mind, especially after routing 1-2 crews/lighter units. It was beautiful.

Has anyone mentioned an assasin with Twilight Cloak with Shades? Almost the same as Shadowblade. Especially in terms of psychology when that shade turns assasin 16" from that crew only to sail strait into them. (I just had an evilgasm).
Just because my two armies worship Khaine and Khorne doesn't mean they're the same deity. It means they enjoy blood and krumpets every thrursday for teatime.
Joyfulcheese
Dark Rider

Post by Joyfulcheese »

Shadowblade can be such a joy to use when your opponent is eager to charge you with a tough CC unit. Nothing quite like the look of fustration on their face when one of the unit dies and Shadowblade pops up in the rear rank, killing the guys who could fight back. They move their champion in to kill SB and that's when you charge the unit with something else, on the flank if you can.

But he's also great against armies that are fielding a lot of cannon - organ guns & hellblasters don't quite hold the same dread for me any more knowing the crew would die before they can do any real damage :)
"Beware the fury of a patient man"

Utharn N'Gal - Disciple of Khaine

Stats: WS - 4 S - 3 I - 5 T - 2 D - 4

Equipment - Short Sword, dagger, small quantity of poison (2 uses), travelling cloak
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

It's against WM that I think Shadowblade shines. Skaven Warp Lightning cannons? Ha! Thorek? Sure, he's a tough one to kill, but you can do it, and at the very least keep Thorek busy for a couple turns and kill his assistant dude. He can take out VC Necro's in bunkers, too. All things the rest of our army struggles with.

Tactically, the dude just gives us all kinds of options, and that's happy!