Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Question about the focus familiar. 
Trainee Warrior

It says that this is only used for determing range and line of sight but also to determine whether she counts as in combat or not. But that last part confuses me a bit, does that mean they can charge the focus familiar and the hits get then redirected to the sorceress?

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:50 am
Malekith's Best Friend

no, that means that she can cast magic missiles when being in CC, because the familiar counts as not being there.

this should have been in the Rules section of the forums

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:13 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Malekith's Best Friend

Lakissov is right; see the familiar as Neferata's cat, or a marker which determines where a tunneling team would pop up ;)

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:40 am
Rending Star
Rending Star

The familiar isn't a miniature that moves around. It is only placed during the Magic Phase and then removed, when it's over.

Bye
Thanee

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:21 am
Malekith's Best Friend

You can't attack power familiar or the other familiars in cc. They are magic items that provide certain abilities or bonuses. The only thing that can "attack" them will be items or spells that nullify magic items. They will be a prime target for Vaul's Unmaking for example.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:25 am
Assassin

What kind of line of sight the focus familiar uses if the sorceress is mounted on a monster?

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:30 am
Malekith's Best Friend

as you place the familiar on the table, it grants 360 line of sight, but is blocked by terrain and other units, still grants a massive bonus of targets.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 am
Malekith's Best Friend

This item is so useful for a level 4 its hard to imagine that it will not be on the table on an almost continual basis.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:13 pm
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

If the sorceress is charged, can you place the focus familiar next to her out of combat, and fire into the combat meaning she gets magic missiles etc to support her. Or do the normal rules apply for not being able to cast into friendly combat (even though its herself!)

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:18 pm
Black Guard

Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:21 pm
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

ok, was just thinking how powerfull she could get if she could cast doombolt and chillwind into combats she was in with the familiar :) guess its not the case. Shes powerful enough with it anyway though.

If a unit charges her unit and hopes to break it, and a US5+ unit is sitting behind so you flee through it and are destroyed, she can use the familiar to blow that unit to bits thus saving her unit and herself.

8)

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

If the sorceress is charged, can you place the focus familiar next to her out of combat, and fire into the combat meaning she gets magic missiles etc to support her. Or do the normal rules apply for not being able to cast into friendly combat (even though its herself!)

That's pretty much exacty what it says in the description so yes

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:50 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

The rules for the focus familiar specificallty say she can cast magic missiles into combat? I haven't seen the specific wording yet, but I doubt it overrides the rules for magic missiles. I think it still lets her cast magic missiles at viable targets, even though she herself is in combat.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:16 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

The rules for the focus familiar specificallty say she can cast magic missiles into combat? I haven't seen the specific wording yet, but I doubt it overrides the rules for magic missiles. I think it still lets her cast magic missiles at viable targets, even though she herself is in combat.

This is my understanding as well you still can't cast a spell into combat unless the spell says that it may be cast into combat. This will be true even if you model your focus familiar as a giant rat. ;)

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:36 pm
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

A magic missile can't be cast into combat - the familiar won't change that.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++

Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:41 pm
Executioner

So I’m wondering if we are looking at this all wrong. The FF can be used to determine range and LOS, I get that simple but it also says and again the grammar use is interesting whether she counts as in combat or not.

So the premise is the sorceress can project herself out of combat or when a FF is used she is not part of combat?! Does that also mean that I can put a sorceress in the last rank of a unit to hide and no longer need to have her on the front rank?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:27 am
Malekith's Personal Guard

I think the wording is something like "... can use this point to determine range, LOS, and whether or not she counts as in combat when casting spells until the end of the turn."

i.e. no

Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:44 am
Malekith's Best Friend

Give her the Pendant of Kaeleth for survivability (against shooting mostly) and then pop the familiar while flanking a big infantry block. O:

Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:50 am
Executioner

So the premise is the sorceress can project herself out of combat or when a FF is used she is not part of combat?! Does that also mean that I can put a sorceress in the last rank of a unit to hide and no longer need to have her on the front rank?

Off the top of my head, the reason that a Wizard can't cast spells while not in the front rank is a Basic Rule Book stipulation. i.e. the text doesn't say anything about Line of Sight. It just says, "You can't cast if you're not in the front rank."

So no, the Familiar will not allow you to cast from the back rank.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:39 am
Malekith's Best Friend

The language of the focus familiar determining whether the sorceress is in combat or not is simply establishing that the point of origin of the spell is considered to be the familiar therefore, even if the sorceress is in combat she will be able to cast things like magic missiles that require line of sight. Her line of sight will be determined from the familiar not from her postition. Unless there is no good location to place the familiar, the sorceress will be able to fire away with the magic missiles, etc... while in combat.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12 am
Cold One Knight

The familiar is only used in the Magic Phase, so it could not be used to attack the sorceress. The entry says, "Place a marker at the start of each Dark Elf magic phase..."

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:15 am
Dark Rider

I love this item. I was testing out some items (dagger.familiar) in friendly games versus my friends new army of demons. Though he proxied a lot, it was fun having my sorceress run around a forest with khorne hounds trying to catch her. She still casted magic though at that point of the game it was useless as there was a lot of magic resistance.

How does the demon ward work? just...wondering...no point in a new topic?

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:05 am
Malekith's Personal Guard

tmr wrote:

Off the top of my head, the reason that a Wizard can't cast spells while not in the front rank is a Basic Rule Book stipulation. i.e. the text doesn't say anything about Line of Sight. It just says, "You can't cast if you're not in the front rank."

So no, the Familiar will not allow you to cast from the back rank.
Furthermore you can't choose to put characters in the back rank. They can only end up there if they are A) Skaven or B) refusing a challenge. And characters (other than Skaven) can't do jack from the back row.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:03 am
Assassin

Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)
The daemon ward works against everything just like an ordinary ward save instead of previously of only working against non-magical attacks.

W: 24 D: 2 L: 6

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:26 am
Executioner

Thanks for all the claification... I do like the idea of planting a Sorc in the forest and having the FF pop out and do some damage.

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next