Supreme Sorceress on Manticore

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Supreme Sorceress on Manticore

Post by Crawd »

Is only me, or that would be worst then a Sorceress on a Cold One? I mean, the fact that the Supreme Sorceress would go Frenzy because of the Manticore makes that the Manticore is a bad mount for her.

I know that she can now take a Dragon, thanks for that but would anyone use the Manticore as a Supreme Sorceress mount?
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

personally i wouldnt take either of the combat orientated mounts (dragon, manticore, cold one) on the supreme sorceress each for their own reasons. Cold ones is obvious, giving them stupidity over to the sorceress is the worse idea possible, and frenzy from the manticore is just as bad in some ways.

I would mount her on a dark pegasus where she keeps the movement speed and positioning of the flight move whilst saving a lot of points that would have otherwise been wasted in either of two ways: sending a sorceress into combat to die, or keeping a combat monster out of combat to keep its rider alive.

The point is, too, theres no point putting her on the manticore because the hero level masters can be on the manticore! Its not like a decision between mounting her on a manticore or not taking one, theres a better option there. With the dragon its different, if you only have one lord you can only have one dragon, so if you desperately want a supreme sorceress and a dragon your in trouble as you have to combine the two.

So no, i would never consider a manticore for a supreme sorceress i would much rather sit her on her faithful dark pegasus.
Obsidianichor
Cold One Knight

Post by Obsidianichor »

I agree. Cold ones and Manticores are bad choices for a sorceress. Cold Ones because of Stupidity, which can make your sorceress unable to cast and Manticores due to Frenzy, which could put your sorceress somewhere you don't want her to be.

As a side note, I would also never put a sorceress on a combat mount without having the Focus Familiar. This way she can cast too. In addition, a good ward save is a must for a sorceress on a combat mount. Too bad you can't take both a ward save and the Ring of Darkness.
-ObsidianIchor

Armies:
Druchii: 4000+
DIY Marines: 4000+
Tyranids: 6000+
Vonkrieglitz
Beastmaster

Post by Vonkrieglitz »

Dark Pegasus and Dark Steed are just too good of an option for a Sorceress mount for me to consider putting my Sorc on a Manticore or risk her going stupid for a turn and not casting on a Cold One.

The Dragon is an interesting choice and it could work.
The_vicar
Beastmaster

Post by The_vicar »

I'd have a crack at doing, putting a sorc on a manticore or a dragon, the simple fact is it would look awesome, i have a few ideas of what i'd like to try along those lines, but some wavy silks, flapping of the pinions could look cool, i'm half way in getting to where i want to be with one conversionin that regard i'll have to post a pic soon.

Would i use it in a game, yeah why not, i'm always up for a laugh, there are things to work around, likefrenzy, large target, bullet magnet and so forth to get around. At least when she there zapping off her spells she has a big old jobby on hand to give some 'slap down'..lol
Stand and deliver sir!, lest I cleft your head in twain....
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Frenzied Sorceress? That is slightly better than a stupid sorceress but still nothing to do to yourself through your own army construction.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

I believe it is better suited for Druchii Tactics section.

Therefore I'm moving it there.

If anyone disagrees with my judgement, please feel free to PM me.

Iyagd, Druchii Discussion moderator.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Goblin stalker
Warrior

Post by Goblin stalker »

I personally have had great luck with frenzied wizards......when they are kitted for combat, mounted on an ironback boar and in a unit of savage orc boarboyz....

seriously though, I think the chance of her going frenzied and getting sucked into a bad combat is just too great a risk unless you plan on taking the lore of fire (flaming sword) and a real good ward.
Naggarond
Warrior

Post by Naggarond »

Soceress on Peggie seems nice. Maybe its that I play against Wood Elves a bit that I shun the choice. A Lord Sorc on Cold one isn't that bad a choice. See the "sorceress protection post".
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I would never do it just because it is a huge points sink on a model that has little to no save depending on what you give her. Too many points for no save. It worked back in 6th sometimes in my double manti-magic list but I still was always nervous and cautious with her. Peggy and Steed are much better for me, though I do want to try her on a dragon sometime.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Naggarond wrote:Soceress on Peggie seems nice. Maybe its that I play against Wood Elves a bit that I shun the choice. A Lord Sorc on Cold one isn't that bad a choice. See the "sorceress protection post".

Seriously? You do recall that if the sorceress fails a stupidity test she cannot cast spells. IMO, I would not want any sorecerss, even a scroll csddy on a cold one. The High Sorceress on a cold one is a complete folly.
The skaerkrow
Noble

Post by The skaerkrow »

In the old rules, I found that the Supreme Sorceress (then High Sorceress) on Manticore had its uses. You're not taking the Manticore for raw killing power, you're taking it because with the Sorceress it has Unit Strength 5 and flies. This allows you to set up Enemy in the Way situations and rank breaking rear/flank support charges while granting your Sorceress all of the mobility she needs to cast spells. Protected by a decent Ward Save, between her and the Manticore's attacks you'd rarely have enough enemy units left in base contact after making the charge to threaten your caster.

The addition of Frenzy to the Manticore changes this dynamic somewhat, but we also now have the PoK and Focus Familiar to not only protect the Supreme Sorceress, but also to allow her to cast spells out of combat. It's an unorthodox addition to an army, but not a useless one.
Strollinthewoods
Corsair

Post by Strollinthewoods »

I have just modeled up a Supreme sorceress on dragon, and there is another thread about that.

Used her again today, and, all I can say for now is that she is steaming hot when she goes to war. And its and afully powerfull model you have at your disposal here fellow druchii.

My guess is we will se a lot of this lady in the future of 7 ed druchii.

The items seems tailoramade for her. Invard save, focus familiar,and off you go.
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

The pendant will be less help against S3 attacks. It is wonderful against high strength attacks. But even if you make all your ward saves I still don't want my sorceress subject to frenzy. Hatred is bad enough. Large target frenzied characters are too easy to lead around the battle field. Hatred is bad enough in terms of having the sorcceress end up in a tough spot let alone frenzy.

All it takes is one good charge to see off the manticore. T5 with no armor and W4 is not enough to keep the manticore alive if it gets in a bad position. The sorceress on dragon holds lots more promise and is only 120 points more for extra S, T, A, 3+ AS, a breath weapon and 2 more wounds.
Kreoss
Noble

Post by Kreoss »

Honestly, the Manticore is better than the Cold One. Even if she frenzies, she may still cast spells. If she Frenzies into combat, she can still cast magic missiles with Focus Familiar. With a Stupid sorceress, she may not cast spells and may still sunder forward into a combat, where she can't cast spells even with the Familiar. At least with the Manticore, she can win a combat with an emergency Soul Stealer and Word of Pain cast onto the unit in front of her.
Ardude
Corsair

Post by Ardude »

A sorc could be fun on a dragon with the black amulet ( or PoK) and some wound stealing spells. You could add in a ifetaker or black dragon egg, 2 breath weapons :twisted: .
Don't trust those who can't see
Don't trust those who can't hear
Don't trust those who can't feel

Don't trust chaos