Nightblades 2kpt No Magic Twin Hydra Dragon list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Nightblade183
Assassin

Nightblades 2kpt No Magic Twin Hydra Dragon list

Post by Nightblade183 »

Dreadlord
Lance, Shield, SDC
Potion of Strength
Pendant of Khaleth
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Black Dragon - 575

Master
Heavy Armour, Shield, SDC, Lance
Null Shards x3
Cold One - 159

5 Harpies - 55

5 Harpies - 55

5 DR, rxbs, music - 117

5 DR, rxbs, music - 117

5 DR, rxbs, music - 117

Cold One Chariot - 100

Cold One Chariot - 100

6 Cold One Knights FC
Ring of Hotek on Champ
Banner of Murder (AP) - 252

Hydra -175

Hydra - 175

Total - 1997
Last edited by Nightblade183 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

Looks pretty standard. Should do pretty well. I really like the banner of murder on your knights. That should work well with them.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I really like the banner of murder on them too. They'll shred through any Ironbreakers or Chosen Warriors quite nicely with a unit of DR or a chariot on the flank ;) . The only thing I'm really concerned about is the lack of magic defense, but I guess I'll just have to make do with what I have. I have high hopes for this list when it comes time to bust it out in a local campaign in a couple weeks. I considered putting a manti in there but the lack of save in such a big points sink turned me off. I love the mant, but for this list I just felt that it could use the chariots instead. I also considered mounting the master in a chariot but I decided to put him in the Cold One Unit as they could use the extra model and I feel that the chariots may be shot up by artillery. Any other comments?
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Omnichron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Omnichron »

The list looks good, allthough I guess it might have a hard time against heavy magic that revolves on few dices to lash out lots of magic (like vampire counts and their reawakening of undeads).

Other than that, the only problem I can see, is having shields on the dark riders. As they loose Fast cavalery with shields, they will loose alof of their manouverability. Then again, if you don't need them as fast cavalery with your game style, I guess it is all fine. :)
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Oh I didn't even realize that they lose their fast cav ability if equipped with shields. Thank you for catching that I'm going to have to change it. Any Ideas on what to with the extra 18 pts?
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

change the seal of grond for 3 null talismans on the cold one unit with the master, this gives so much more protection to them, and means you can use the other 2 dice on other things, this is a fast army, and so just keeping the dragon and cold ones should be the main aim
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I was thinking about doing that but what if I just added one null shard. That way they are still reasonably protected with the ring and a null shard but I also get one more DD from the Seal. Opinions please.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

1 null shard is nothing, if the enemy casts a spell on 1 dice, then it will be on a 5+/6+ and so you will only hava 1 in 3 chance of dispelling it, either have 2 or 3 to make sure of protection.
you won't want that killer spirit of the forge spell landing on your unit, on a 12+ he rolls 3 dice and gets 3,5,6 or 4,5,6 then you'll be screwed
Zeth
Malekith's Personal Guard

Re: Nightblades 2kpt No Magic Twin Hydra Dragon list

Post by Zeth »

You probably don't need the Armor of Eternal Servitude, just the PoK and a good armor save should be enough protection.

As mentioned drop the shields, on the DR's. Not worth +1 AS to give up fast cav.
Unless your making a crazy fun ranked DR list.

Don't really need the banner of murder on the CoK's. Just a warbanner is going to work out better for you most of the time, slaughter is potentially good idea as well.

Your CoK unit is already 6 wide why put your Master on a CO instead of a Dark Steed? The 1+ compared to a 2+ AS just is not worth stupidity, 2MV.

Also with the extra points make your master a BSB. 25 points for +1 CR is dirt cheap. He can throw his weight around any where this way to, adding a bit of ACR and +1 SCR.
Take all of my posts, when taking about balance, from a perspective of an all-comers list.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

I considered making him a BSB but I opted to put him with my COKs because I like fielding them 6 or 7 wide. I put him in there because I don't want him to go in my DR units that are suppose to be sacrificial. I forgot that MR applies to every spell. In this case I'm definitely going with the 3 null shards on the master. I'll drop the shields and the seal and use the points to pay for the 3 shards. Problem solved. I wanted AoES in there to make sure he doesn't die and I like the AP Banner because it can munch through Ironbreakers and Chosen Warriors like butter. Also they can reduce the traditional armour saves of heros and big monsters to nothing or close to nothing. Between these guys and the dragon with the lance and potion of strength I should be able to deal with enemy characters or beefy monsters really quickly.
Last edited by Nightblade183 on Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

Nightblade183 wrote:I considered making him a BSB but I opted to put him with my COKs because I like fielding them 6 or 7 wide. I put him in there because I don't want him to go in my DR units that are suppose to be sacrificial. I forgot that MR applies to every spell.
So your deploying him in the CoK's and never planning on moving him out?

If so I'd drop the unit down to 5 models, 6 with him and still get him the bsb.

Also I wouldn't take the null shards, While it makes him and the unit he is worth not worth casting on it gives you no magic defense for the rest of the army.
The SoG gives you 3 dispel dice, which is enough to stop one opposing spell per turn on any of your units. 2 dispel dice is not going to be very useful.

Also even if you plan on deploying the Master in the CoK's to start I'd still give him a dark steed. As there is often reasons for him to leave a unit, to add his power to other units if needed, charge out of the unit if the CoK's are out of range etc.

The only reason to put him on a CoK imo is to get him fear, which would allow him to run into fear causing units alone and hold them up if he is a BSB.
Take all of my posts, when taking about balance, from a perspective of an all-comers list.
Grez90
The Tamer of Sea Dragons

Post by Grez90 »

yeh but 1 spell against vamps, and tzeentch is nothing, he'll have atleast 6/7 more spells.
even my list has a maximum of 13 spells, a lvl4 with black staff knows 6, 2 lvl2's, one has the tome of furion, magic resistance is better than 1 extra dd, especially when it comes to magic missiles on your cold ones, or spells like doom and darkness, spirit of the forge, soul stealer etc
Godless-mimicry
Noble

Post by Godless-mimicry »

But that is assuming the unit with the Magic Resistance gets
targeted
-Godless-

Tally:

New Chaos Warriors W12 D0 L3

Dark Elves W8 D0 L0
Zeth

Post by Zeth »

grez90 wrote:yeh but 1 spell against vamps, and tzeentch is nothing, he'll have atleast 6/7 more spells.
even my list has a maximum of 13 spells, a lvl4 with black staff knows 6, 2 lvl2's, one has the tome of furion, magic resistance is better than 1 extra dd, especially when it comes to magic missiles on your cold ones, or spells like doom and darkness, spirit of the forge, soul stealer etc

He has the RoH already which will make casting spells on the bulk of his army very risky. Where the CoK's are likely to be anyway.

Also number of spells known almost never correlates to number of spells cast. If your fielding just a Dragon Mage or 2nd slaan, but nothing else will succeed in getting all the spells they know off.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

With three null shards on the COK unit I'm guaranteed to have one heavy hitting unit that should be able to escape most magic phases unschathed. I'd take that over 1 DD that can only be thrown once because 3 DD isn't going to do a whole lot more than 2 DD. But at least now the nasty COK unit I've made with remain relatively unharmed when getting into CC. I really don't see the point of having him on a steed other than he's a little faster and cheaper. I'll be keeping him with the knights so that they can benefit from the shards. I am considering losing a knight and making him a Bsb but I think it's fine how it is right now. Godless I realize that they probably won't be targeted by magic once the opponent sees they have MR3, but that's why I have the harpy screens and DRs the list is fast enough that by the time these are gone everything else should be on my opponents doorstep. I think it could work pretty darn well unless I face an opponent with 10+ PD than I think I'm gonna have to pull some tricks in order to get the win.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Update: This list just won it's 20th victory yesterday out of 21 Matches, I got a draw against an army of Vamps with 12 or 13 PD per turn, still I faired pretty well against it though. The victory yesterday was against a "balanced" Lizardmen army with a Slann, a steg with the engine, a mixed unit of kroxigors and skinks, 2 units of skink skirmishers, a unit of 3 salamanders and the rest in units of 10 or 15 saurus.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

If I'm looking for cheese, I know who to turn to ;)

Based on the standsrd comp score, this army lands on a -2.34

A balanced friendly army should land on around 15 to 20.
This army happened to end on the minus side.

Personally, to play an army like this, I can't see the fun in it - and your opponents might decrease in numbers as you play such a cheesy list.

Take 3 units of DRs with crossbows and mus, these three units can handle one block of 18 warriors of chaos each by themselves. That is 117 points killing well over 300 points.
Add almost unkillable lord on dragon...
*EDIT*
First I thought that it did not need to be mentioned, but well... I'm just gonna go for it, double hydras, our most OP unit ever, two of them and a dragon in same list... There, I said it.

And your last update here, your 20th victory out of 21 matches.

Each to their own... But if I were faced with such an army, I would pack my things and just leave, or look for a different opponent.

Just a friendly heads up
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Thanks for the heads up, but the group I play with is extremely competitive and while I can usually pull out a draw or a victory with a balanced list I pull this out ever other go just to get some variety. So far nobody has said anything about it's cheezy-ness (though I agree it's quite disgusting). But the people I play with have all tree armies with 2 treemen, armies with 4 stegs, Thorek gunlines, Steamtank + Karl Franz lists, 13+ PD Vamp lists, etc. True it doesn't sound like it's much fun to play with or against these people, but we actually do enjoy ourselves (even if it is rather competitive from time to time). Still I just thought I'd point out this list as a true testament of 7 Ed. Druchii cheese for everyone. But I'm sure the list could be beat.. just hasn't yet ;)
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

About the only weakness I can see of this list is that there's not a single magic weapon anywhere. So a unit of ethereals can tie up pretty much anything.
Granted, ethereals are an uncommon thing these days.
Gastronauticon
Beastmaster

Post by Gastronauticon »

Nice list!

Not sure I´d like to play it with my friends but... I will paint my second hydra just i case.
You have reached the Department of Circular Reasoning.

Please hold.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Yeah I've thought about the Ethreal problem before, but I've never faced any (or even seen any used) around here. But the army is fast and maneuveralbe enough where if they were on the field I could easily avoid them, misdirect them, or sacrifice a unit of Harpies or DR to them. It is alot of fun to play this list actually, with it's maneuverability you pretty much dominate the movement phase :D
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1