D.R.A.I.C.H :: Ogre + ASF

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Furgil
Warrior

D.R.A.I.C.H :: Ogre + ASF

Post by Furgil »

I was wondering if taking a sizable unit of DoW Maneaters with Great Weapons joined by a dark steed BSB with ASF Banner would be a good idea. A hefty number of points would be spent, but done right it would easily crush everything it touches. It is ItP Stubborn and has significantly stronger attacks compared to Black Guard. This coupled with the impact hits to help ruin HE units and their natural survivability being Ogres and you've got one tough nut to crack. Plus they cause Fear!
Last edited by Furgil on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

They also have close to no armour, they only get heavy armour if you upgrade them to have it. It may work, but it would be expensive, and shot to pieces a lot.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if one of our BSB could join a unit of maneaters...

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Minsc
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Minsc »

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if one of our BSB could join a unit of maneaters...

I've seen a Mounted HE BSB with Banner of the World Dragon join a unit of 3 Rhinox Riders, and that seemed perfectly legal, so I don't think it's agains the rules to have a DE BSB with Standard of Hag Graef joining a unit of Maneaters.

Come to think of it, it's a nice idéa. It's quite fragile from shooting though. (Ring of Darkness helps, but then thats a new 150+ pts investment.)
Furgil
Warrior

Post by Furgil »

Yes it would be a large investment, but done well one could create a very strong center with lighter troops to divert and delay while the Ogres move in for the Kill. Even against HE wit their higher initiative ASF, I expect you would find the Ogres survive well enough to annihilate the enemy. Also the character(s) would strike first with higher initiative meaning they would easily crush the ASF opposition.

As for not being able to join, why wouldn't they? There is no rule saying otherwise.
Tenebrae
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Tenebrae »

It has been noted earlier that normal characters cannot join DoW units.
Whether this still holds, and whether it ever held for ogre mercs, I cannot say.
Unit strengths and bases are covered here.
Updates are here.
Kir
Executioner

Post by Kir »

add CoB, and you also have that extra attack when you charge, or the 5+ ward.Or killing blow if you want to.
Silverheimdall
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Silverheimdall »

CoB doesn't affect Ogre units afaik.

Normal characters CAN join Dogs of War units, there is no rule to prevent this anywhere. - Dogs of War documents are the Dogs of War rules and there's nothing to prevent Dogs of War unit from being led by your own characters, use the General's LD or the BSB's reroll
Entreri bloodletter
Assassin

Post by Entreri bloodletter »

SilverHeimdall wrote:CoB doesn't affect Ogre units afaik.

Normal characters CAN join Dogs of War units, there is no rule to prevent this anywhere. - Dogs of War documents are the Dogs of War rules and there's nothing to prevent Dogs of War unit from being led by your own characters, use the General's LD or the BSB's reroll

Looking at the Dark Elf book the cauldron description says that blessings of khaine can be given to any friendly unit. So I would assume that any mercenaries could get the benefit if you wanted.
Lamekh
The Scourge of Khaine

Post by Lamekh »

A waste of 2 Rare Slots imo I'd definately go for two Hydrae anytime....
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Maneaters while useful are very pricey. It is not an option that would appeal to me.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Genrazn
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Genrazn »

But im sure 3 rhinox riders are :D
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Also Maneaters have M6 I believe only marginally slower than cavalry. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to ensure they get the charge without fancy banners..
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage