Logo
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
What is the worst spell in the new rule book 

what is the worst spell
Chillwind 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Doombolt 38%  38%  [ 37 ]
Word of Pain 13%  13%  [ 13 ]
Blade Wind 22%  22%  [ 21 ]
Soul Stealer 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Black Horrer 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 97

What is the worst spell in the new rule book 
Shade

I was just reading over the new rule book and one spell stood out as pretty bad that was Doombolt any one agree or is it just me and if
you don't what is. :?:

Sorry i forgot the new PoD spell.l

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:18 pm
Highborn

I think it's you. The only problem I had with doombolt in 6th edition was its limited range in a spell list very limited by range. 7th edition has change that.

Of the current spells, black horror is, in my opinion, barely worse off than the others. For the casting score a pie plate gets plunked down anywhere with 18" with the possible of scoring one wound on each model beneath the template. At best, it's a 50/50 shot, a 33% or worse chance against those things you really want dead.

"Few problems can't be solved by the judicious application of brute force" Asikari

Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:25 pm
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

I know many people who think Doombolt is the least valuable spell. I think it is, based on its short range and the fact that its only 1D6 hits...

Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:55 pm
Noble

Location: probably still burried under snow after a failed backflip attempt
Black horror was already one of the best spells in the old book, now it´s just incredible! No LoS requirement and no hit on 4+ for not fully covered is a great boost. And sometimes even if you make just one wound it´s enough because the opponent can fail a panic test. Not good against daemons but just great against all others.

If I have to choose, I choose doombolt. Don´t really know why as I think all of our spells are great.

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:20 pm
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

I think the spell is great
But it took the spot of so much better Dominion.

Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16

Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:42 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

I don't like word of Pain. It can really turn a battle around however if there is a big important battle going on it will just be scrolled.
It is usually too chancy to get into a combat based upon getting this spell off.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:53 am
Corsair

Probly Doombolt due to the 1d6 and short range.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:04 am
Malekith's Best Friend

Definately doombolt. the number of times I've rolled 1 hit with that spell....

Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:06 am
Malekith's Best Friend

Bladewind, not because it's not good, but it's not well detailed and there's too many situation that we need to wait for an FAQ.

Otherwise, Doombolt who was, basicly, tuned down compared to our 6th edition because it's still on 6+ but we don't have our +1 to cast and it didn't changed.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:53 am
Shade

I vote for Doombolt as I prefer the use of Chillwinds and Bladewinds. Others are useful but Horror requires is big score, and at last Doombolt is just a 1D6 hits and it is easily canceled.

I must admint however that this spell forces my opponents to use their scrolls!

Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am
Loremaster

There's no worst spell, only bad timing of the player who casts the wrong spell in the wrong situation.

Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:45 pm
Malekith's Personal Guard

The only problem I had with doombolt in 6th edition was its limited range in a spell list very limited by range. 7th edition has change that.

How has 7th ed changed that? It's the same spell, but now harder to cast due to no more +1 to cast. Doombolt is a pointless spell, one more Strength than Chillwind but higher casting value and no special effect. :roll:

Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:14 pm
Shade

Yeah the new Chillwind is awesome; Doombolt, not so much.

And Dalamar makes a good point about Bladewind replacing Dominion. I miss Dominion. But Bladewind is at least an interesting take on the magic missile genre; we could have gotten stuck with boring old Fury of Khaine...

Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:19 am
Noble

I like Bladewind since it is so useful against war-machines. As for the rest - Doombolt is, unfortunately, the least useful one.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:12 am
Profile ICQ
Malekith's Best Friend

i place soulstealer. it is a let down in my opinion. Even though there is an increased range i do not find it to be significant as DE sorcerous could easily get near our enemies easily by dark steeds and pegasuses.

I am very disappointed by the s2 as it meant that we have to roll 5+ to wound for t3 troops and 6's for t4. Soulstealer are our answer to horde infantry and now it can no longer do its duties well. who cares about negating armor saves when most infantry blocks have only a 5+ armor save.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:05 pm
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

There's no worst spell, only bad timing of the player who casts the wrong spell in the wrong situation.

I don't think people are saying that Doombolt is a bad spell, its just not as good as the others.

You can rate the spells in terms of their usefulness, and Doombolt is just not as useful as others...

Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:08 pm
Loremaster

but now harder to cast due to no more +1 to cast

... as opposed to being able to crank out more power dice via Power of Darkness and Sacrificial Dagger?

Quote:
one more Strength than Chillwind but higher casting value and no special effect

More strength, so higher casting value makes sense (and only +1 isn't too bad) and has as much special effects as any non-shooting unit would be affected by Chillwind other than that the former hits with less strength.

I stand by my statement.

Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:42 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

Word of Pain is pretty useless in my oppinion, the other spells can cause far greater damage.

And I for one happen to like Doombolt!

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:04 am
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

I agree that Word of Pain is at the bottom. It's good sometimes, but too situational. Doombolt is a high-strength magic missile. Nothing wrong with that ...

Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:10 am
Profile WWW
Loremaster

I don't think Word of Pain is too situational. Either casting it in a combat to tip the odds in your favour (not necessarily a great spell but casting it early gives your opponent something to think about) or making Handgunners, Thunderers etc. shoot as BS1 can be rather effective (not to mention making an opponent's repeater crossbows shoot twice at BS0 or so :P). Really, the only unit this spell isn't effective to use on is Zombies.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:38 am
Shade

The spell i voted for is Bladewind, it may be a good spell, but i'm never going to like it. It took the place of Dominion, which was one of my favorite spells.

It offered so much more than Bladewind, and with the focus familiar it's short range would not have bothered me anymore.

I'm also a bit disappointed by the new Soulstealer, it used to be really devastating espesiallly on T3 units. Killing half a unit of HE spears was just great.

On the other side Chillwind was allready one of the best spells, but with Str 4 it got an additional boost. Just love that spell.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:15 pm
Malekith's Best Friend

Actually i like bladewind as it gives us the ability to take out warmachines even if our warmachines hunters were destroyed early in the game.

Chillwind: s4 is great as now my foes give it more respect and bothers to dispel it now.

Doombolt: still decent in my opinion.

Word of pain: it has always been bad, lol

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:48 pm
Slave (off the Altar)

1. Word of pain
2. black horror
3. Bladewind (preferred Dominion)
4. Chillwind
5. Soul Stealer
6. Doombolt

The first two are just incredibly powerful!

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:44 pm
Cold One Knight

Wow, it seems like i´m the only one here who really likes doombolt. It´s one of few high strength magic missiles out there and there´s always a good target for it. Great in my book

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:44 pm
Assassin

I've actually always been a fan of Word of Pain, for me it works as a defensive tool, your warriors going to be charged next turn? Word of Pain the charger and watch them struggle to hit. Your black guard looking in the face of a nasty ranged unit, word of pain them and watch them miss like none other.

Add to the fact that it isn't a remains in play spell any more and I think its a great tool at our disposal.

As for the other spells, while I'm not saying they are bad, they just aren't quite as good as the others. IMO doombolt and soul stealer are the weaker spells in the list, however, I still think that they are good ones despite that.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next