Viable Corsair Tactic?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ttbrando
Slave on the Altar

Viable Corsair Tactic?

Post by Ttbrando »

i was just wondering if this would be a viable corsair tactic. a unit that is 18 large 6x3 w/ extra hand weapons. banner of the sea that gives frenzy. and a assassin with x/handweapon gift with d3 more attacks and lotus. then have the couldron of blood make the corsairs have killing blow? that would be 23 attacks, reroll to hit, on average 4 killing blows.
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

I've taken this kind of setup with a bsb with Hydra banner (4 attacks for each corsair). I must say, it rocks. However don't try it with the Hydra banner, 3 attacks is enough and isn't that big of a unit, points wise.
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Livefromnaggaroth
Executioner

Post by Livefromnaggaroth »

Yes, that would be possible. Although if they're going to have killing blow with that many attacks the only advantage of the assassin would be as a pure character killer, which he'd be in another unit with killing blow anyway.

But, a powerful combo, no doubt!

One point though; if you're going to have a first round killer like this why put 3 ranks into the unit? You probably won't be needing that static CR :) .
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

Actually the static CR helps a lot versus bigger units. You won't be obliged to make a supportive flank charge as the static CR will be about the same and the unit has a pretty high damage potential. It means you can apply the flank somewhere else.
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

Its a good tactic, but can be baited, plus your relying on the CoB too much. If you want combat units, our Special units are far better than Corsairs.

A good tactic I though up for Corsairs was 14 Corsairs, Handbows, Banner of Murder, with an Assassin with Manbane and Rending Stars. The unit wont be outshot due to good save (unless Dwarf Thunderers AP-2), so it can sit in the middle of your army fireing at everything that comes close. Shoot a unit, theres 14 Handbows shots and 3 Stars, all with AP. Then the enemy will try to charge the unit. Stand and shoot, same thing happens, then Assassin rips the enemy to shreads.

All up, a nice all round shooting base and can deal damage in combat.
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

The versatility of the CoB makes up for relying on it. True the special units are usually better in CC, but that's why they are special. The true strenght of this tactic is that you have a rather hard hitting core choice.
Oddsocks
Slave on the Altar

Post by Oddsocks »

Demetrius the Betrayer wrote:
A good tactic I though up for Corsairs was 14 Corsairs, Handbows, Banner of Murder, with an Assassin with Manbane and Rending Stars. The unit wont be outshot due to good save (unless Dwarf Thunderers AP-2), so it can sit in the middle of your army fireing at everything that comes close. Shoot a unit, theres 14 Handbows shots and 3 Stars, all with AP. Then the enemy will try to charge the unit. Stand and shoot, same thing happens, then Assassin rips the enemy to shreads.

All up, a nice all round shooting base and can deal damage in combat.
If I was the enemy I would just endure a few rounds of shooting from them then hit them in the flank, pretty much anything should easily route them and take a good 300 points out.

I think the OP's suggestion is very good, the sheer amount of attacks as well as the KB should cause a very respectible kill tally. One to try I think. :)
Widdershins
Slave on the Altar

Post by Widdershins »

I came up with the same idea last night. Finding this thread made me realize I should try it when I get more DE models.

My idea, though, had a Hag BSB with Hydra Banner and Lokhir. I guess it's true that adding the points for the BSB might be too much, and then I have to have 2 Hags in the army, one for the CoB too. And with the amount of attacks Lokhir and the Assassin would put out with killing blow I guess a Hydra banner would be overkill.

I think the Assassin is also worth if it you're charged, since the unit doesn't have ASF.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Still, the last post was five months ago. It was time to start a new thread. You're probably going to ask me how old is too old; there's no specific answer. We leave it to each moderator's intuition, so as to allow some flexibility for context. I'm going to lock this one. You'll still want your question answered. Start a new thread with a link to this if you like.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite