power dice....

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Darkelves99
Slave (off the Altar)

power dice....

Post by Darkelves99 »

what can armys get in terms of power dice at 2000 points? this includes dark elves, deamons,woc,high elves,vampire counts. im kind of interested in knowing as i have a high elf army as well.
hi
Kirkrapine
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kirkrapine »

Without magic items the base is usually 12. Once you start adding in magic items/powers, all bets are off. VC can get upwards of 19, skaven well over 20, and demons i think were last clocked at 40 or so. Dark Elves can get 13 with magic items, and an additional 5-16 (black staff) more from Power of Darkness. Plus pseudo PD from the sac dagger or Powerstones. So mid 20's without too much trouble. Be prepared for the hate though.
Darkelves99
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Darkelves99 »

what about high elves
hi
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

I brought a Skaven cheese list once, 36 power dices.
The atmosfear got kinda gloomy when they found out i wasn't joking, that i was actualyl planing on trying the list out... unfortunately, noone took up the challenge of pure SAD.

High Elves
I would say 8-13?
4 mages, 1 lord and 3 heroes give you a base of 8, then with a few power stones and jewel of the dusk for example, I see most commonly people take 2-3 power stones in a 2000+ army with four mages.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

This is by no means a Druchii Discussion. Darkelves99, please make sure you post the topic in the appropriate forum to save time and effort.

Moved to Warhammer Fantasy Discussion forum.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

High Elves can also have lots of Power Dice. Teclis with Banner of Sorcery and 3 other L2 give you 14 to 18 power dice (I don't know all the magic items that could give some) and there's still power stone that can give you even more.
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Kirkrapine wrote:Dark Elves can get 13 with magic items, and an additional 5-16 (black staff) more from Power of Darkness. Plus pseudo PD from the sac dagger or Powerstones. So mid 20's without too much trouble. Be prepared for the hate though.
The magic tsunami
(everyone using 2-dice PoD as much as possible - not counting, in the total below, the dice spent for PoD):

Level 4 sorceress, PoD staff: 8 dice a turn guaranteed for 3 spells.
Level 2 sorceress, dagger: 6 dice a turn almost guaranteed for 2 spells.
Level 2 sorceress, cloak: 4 dice a turn in average for 2 spells.
Level 2 sorceress, powerstone: 3 dice a turn in average, for 1/2 spells.

Total: 21 dice to cast on your chosen spells (not taking PoD in the total), and you get often more dice available, and seldom less dice available.
In average, 8 spells are cast each turn.

Cost: 790pts.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Lac.desariel
Executioner

Post by Lac.desariel »

Kheel wrote:I brought a Skaven cheese list once, 36 power dices.
The atmosfear got kinda gloomy when they found out i wasn't joking, that i was actualyl planing on trying the list out... unfortunately, noone took up the challenge of pure SAD.

High Elves
I would say 8-13?
4 mages, 1 lord and 3 heroes give you a base of 8, then with a few power stones and jewel of the dusk for example, I see most commonly people take 2-3 power stones in a 2000+ army with four mages.

how in 2k did you hit 36 power dice?
Darkelves99
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Darkelves99 »

sorry i went off topic
hi
The golden arrow
Cold One Knight

Post by The golden arrow »

He used a lot of warpstone tokens ;)

These discussions are kinda lame really. None takes this amount of dice and the most effective magic phase isn't the one with the most dice anyway.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

darkelves99 wrote:what about high elves

darkelves99 wrote:sorry i went off topic

darkelves99 wrote:sorry we went off topic

Quite. Also, spam.

Canned foods aside, I know beasties can definitely get 17+ dice easy, as can our DE. I had thought about the staff a while back, but it always seemed way too expensive to make really good use of it (and that many dice flying around is almost guaranteed to blow up a wizard, one way or the other!).

Plus, methinks BSB is way more useful than a smoking crater.
Balthamael
Cold One Knight

Post by Balthamael »

darkelves99 wrote:what about high elves

High Elves should be able to get 14-16 (13 +D3) PD without using Special Characters. For this the army would need to include a Level 4, three level 2s, an Arcane magic item and a magic banner. You may still add Power Stones, Bound Spells and items that gives +1 or +2 to the casting roll.

If you include Special Characters, Teclis would give you another D3 PD.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Just because armies can get upwards of 15 power dice doesn't mean they will though. Around here it is very rare to see any army with more than 10 PD. And many armies take a lot less. I also find that with too many power dice you just run out of useful things to cast and can spend time zapping units of Plaguebearers with Chillwind-not very effective.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage