The Cult of Slaanesh - Army list entries (rules)

Have a question about the Warhammer rules? Ask them here!

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

This time comes:

THE ANOINTED

The main problem with this guy (/girl ;) ) in 6th ed. list was that he was heavily underpriced (comparing both to DE fighter Lord and regular Chaos Lord).

In 7th ed. IMO two main problems appear:

- to follow general dark elf rules, he should have Eternal Hatred
- to follow the scheme of WoC list, his Items and Gift limits should be separate

All these things mean that he has potential to become a very pricy choice, with potential for abusing combos.

My idea to deal with that is going the same route GW went with Vampires & Greater Daemons: cut down the basic part, but leave what was there as an option, allowing more customisation without risk of making him broken.

So, he can be only 1 lvl wizard, unless he sacrifices part of his gift allowance for a gift granting him another level. Similiary, his original 'anointed ward save' and fear-causing come from another gift he can buy (rather than being built-in rules, outside of allowance).

I also tried to incorporate idea that he should have acces to Daemon Lore of Slaanesh.

Ok, enough of introduction, here are the rules. First, two new Chaos Gifts:

SLAANESHI CHAOS GIFTS

Daemonic Aura (Chaos Gift, Anointed only) – 40 pts
Especially gifted by his master, the Anointed is neither of this or other world. Being part elf and part deamon, he is however shuned by both.
Anointed causes Fear and gains 5+ Ward save. However, this save cannot be used against magical attacks (spells, magic weapons etc).All attacks by this gift’s bearer count as being magical. This includes any special or ranged attacks he may have. He cannot join any units. If a sorcerer, he uses the Daemon Lore of Slaanesh.

Otherworldy Senses (Chaos Gift, Anointed only) – 30 pts
Thanks to Slaanesh all of the Anointed’s senses are heightend even beyond elven limits. This includes natural elven sense of magic, allowing the gifted to both experience beauty of the winds of pure magic and deal with them more effectively at the same time.
If already a spellcaster, Anointed gains one magic level, making him a level 2 sorcerer. If not, he generates an additonal dispell dice in the magic phase, but otherwise does not count as a spellcaster.

And the rules of Anointed himself:

CHARACTERS
LORD
Anointed – 200 pts.

M 6 | WS 8 | BS 7 | S 5 | T 3 | W 3 | I 9 | A 5 | Ld 9

Magic : If a sorcerer, Anointed uses the Lore of Slaanesh and benefits from the Druchii Sorcery rule.

Equipment :
Hand Weapon, Chaos Armour

Special Rules :
Mark of Slaanesh; Eternal Hatred

Options :
Magic
- May be a lvl 1 Sorcerer for +50 pts.

Close Combat Weapon (one choice only):
- Lance +10 pts
- GW +10 pts
- Halberd +6 pts
- AHW +6 pts

Ranged Weapon (one choice only):
- Repeater crossbow +10 pts
- Repeater handbow +8 pts
- Pair of RHB +16 pts

Armour:
- Shield +3 pts

Mount (one choice only)
- Dark Steed: +18 pts.
- Cold One: +30 pts.
- Dark Pegasus: +50 pts.
- Barder Chaos Steed: +24 pts.
- Steed of Slaanesh: +30 pts.
- Serpent of Slaanesh: +40 pts.

Chaos Gifts :
Up to a total of 50 pts. chosen from the Slaaneshi Chaos Gifts list.

Magic Items :
Up to a total of 100 pts. chosen from the appropriate lists.

Variants & Additional options:

- I gave Anointed T 3, to keep in line with 'only T3 characters in elven armies'; fluff-wise however, I think T4 would be fine, as that would still be less than regular Chaos Lord, showing elven fragility of Anointed. If T4 his basic cost should be 220-225 pts.

- By default Anointed doesn't give any Summoning Points - he's a Chaos Champion, not sorcerous summoner using rituals. However, I've considered making him grant 1 SP to the army if he has the 'Daemonic Aura' gift. Would make kinda sense (as partly-daemon he can deal with them), but not sure it fits, because of 'shuned by both' part (and IMO that part's needed to balance the bonuses of the gift).

Ok, so that's all for now, Marauder Warlord & Marauder Horsemen next. Of course any comments on what I've posted so far are welcome. :)
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Here comes the rest of Marauder entries:

CHARACTERS

HEROES
Marauder Warlord
- 100 pts.
You may include up to one Marauder Warlord per each Marauder or Marauder Horsmen unit in the army
Stats as Exalted Hero pr. in the 7th ed. WoC armybook

Equipment :
Hand Weapon, Light Armour

Special Rules :
Mark of Slaanesh, Mere Mortal

Options:

Close Combat Weapon (one choice only):
- Great Weapon +8 pts
- Flail +4 pts
- AHW +4 pts
- Spear +4 pts

Ranged Weapon :
- Throwing Spears (as javelins; only if mounted) +4 pts
- Throwing Axes +8 pts

Armour:
- Shield +5 pts

Mount (one choice only)
- Warhorse: +10 pts.
- Steed of Slaanesh: +17 pts.

Chaos Gifts :
Up to a total of 50 pts. chosen from the Slaaneshi Chaos Gifts list.

Magic Items :
Up to a total of 100 pts. chosen from the appropriate lists.

This guy's basically Exalted Champion from WoC with adjusted equipement:

- The deduction for replacing Chaos Armour with Light armour (15 pts) is based on 6th ed. Skeggi Colony list compared to 6th ed HoCh AB.

- As with, herald, cheaper SoS fits I think - this guy doesn't have Exalted's high AS, so he's risking much going on his own; if he stays in a unit, then he doesn't use SoS high movement.

- I also adjusted his equipment options to fit with marauders. So no halberd, but instead spear & throwing weapons options to keep him in line with Marauder Horsemen. [Edit: After second thougth, I think throwing axes would suit footed MW also fluffwise, and such option does no harm balance-wise (a single attack won't do much as Stand & Shoot and definitly isn't better than charging an opponent)]

- The restriction I gave him (1 per marauder unit) is definitly less harsh than the one Chaos hero had in 6th ed CoS list (0-1). However, I think poor armour and unit joining restriction (Chaos Warriors & Knights will have a rule that Anointed is only character that can join them - this leaves only Maraduers and Marauder Horsmen for MW) makes him less attractive choice in this edition, so thats IMO enough.

I don't think Marauder Horsmen need any changes (except for the mark options of course ;) ), so other than that, they stay as described in WoC:

UNITS

CORE
Marauder Horsmen
- 13 pts.
stats as pr. in the 7th ed WoC Army Book

Unit size: 5+

Equipment: Hand Weapon

Special Rules: Mere Mortals, Will of Chaos, Fast Cavalry, Horselords

Options:
- Any unit may have Mark of Slaanesh: +10 pts

Command:
Chieftain - 12 pts
Musican - 6 pts
SB - 12 pts

Weapons (one choice only) :
Flails - 2 pts
Spears - 1 pt

Ranged Weapons (one choice only):
Throwing spears (as javelins) - 1 pt
Throwing axes - 2 pts

Armour*:
Light Armour - 1 pt
Shield - 1 pt

*Note that if a unit has both light armour and shields then it ceases to be Fast Cavalry

Next batch coming: Chaos Warriors, Knights & Spawns
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

I've corrected some of the previous posts - added Furies in daemonic units, which I originally forgot about and gave my current view on the Cultists/Infiltrators unit. More of the new stuff below.

So, this time it's the rest of WoC-origined entries.

My thoughs on these:
- coming from the earlier discussion is the idea to severly limit or altogether remove all these, with reasoning being that this is an elf army in the first place and from fluff-POV only Marauders are crutial to the list.
- my opinion is that every unit(/model) present in the original list should have its use in the new version, so removing them is not an option
- though in general I think its up to players to theme their armies, I agree that Chaos Warriors & Knights should be rather rare in CoS armies.
- On the other hand, they shouldn't be rarer than, for example, Ogres or mercenary cannons.

Hence my idea: if including them as regular Rare units seems like a bad idea, then include them as DoW-like units. The difference to regular DoW units here being that they're available only to CoS (though creating similiar rules to reintroduce - limited - mixing between different Chaos armies would IMO be an entertaining solution; anyway I'm going offtopic, so back to CoS. ;) ).

Special Rule:
Northern Warband
Forces of the Cult are sometimes joined by the hardened Warriors from the Chaos Wastes. Though, unlike Marauders they might be sceptical about Morathi's unique position to Slaanesh, they are willing to follow her if it helps them to please their god. Some of them join Cult's forces as a part of Anointed's retinue.
Your army may include units with Northern Warband special rule as rare units, similiar to Dogs of War mercenaries. However, should you play in an enviroment that disallows DoW, Northern Warband units cannot be used either. Chaos Knights are exceptionally rare and therefore take two Rare slots.

UNITS

RARE
Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh
- 16 pts
Unit size: 5-24
Special Rules: Mark of Slaanesh
Other rules and stats as Chaos Warriors pr. in the 7th ed WoC armybook

Chaos Knights of Slaanesh* - 42 pts
*Count as two rare choices
Unit size: 5-6
Special Rules: Mark of Slaanesh
Other rules and stats as Chaos Knights pr. in the 7th ed WoC armybook

Chaos Spawn of Slaanesh** - 75 pts
**army may only include Spawns if it includes at least one other Northern Warband unit and/or Anointed.
1-2 Spawn may be taken as a single Rare choice.

Special Rules: Mark of Slaanesh (Always strikes first)
Other rules and stats as Chaos Spawn pr. in the 7th ed WoC armybook

As you can see, in addition to Warband rule I proposed some other small modifications:

- I've reduced min unit size of ChW and gave max unit size both to them and ChK.

I think this helps getting the feel that it's not a regular WoC force, but a small warband following Anointed or joining Cult forces for their own reasons.
Not sure the upper limits are needed (unless in a very big game, who would use bigger units anyway?), so they could stay or go, I don't have a strong opinion on that.

- I've reduced avalibility of Spawn, so it requires other units

This comes from fluff-reasons purely. I can envisage heavily mutated creature being a 'pet' of Anointed or Warband itself, but I don't see a reason why it should be brought alone into the Cult forces (and seeing as it's a mindless creature, option of willingly joining is not there at all).

Ok, so now there's only Effigy of Excess left. I already have quite a good idea how I'd envisage it, though I'm still uncertain about some elements (mostly the cost) and it may take a few more days before I have time to write it all down in a postable form. ;)

As a side note - AFAIR 3rd ed WFB rules encouraged players to use units in the strength of their God's magical number. Currently this idea is still somewhat present (taking Slaaneshi units consisting of 6 or multiplies of 6 models), but since it has no reflection in rules it's purely theme thing and sometimes actually goes against efficient armybuilding.

I think It'd be fun if CoS rules encouraged using Slaanesh's magical number and I plan to include that in EoE rules. I'm also thinking of introducing a general army rule along those lines. Though I'm not sure it'd work (would have to be rather weak effect not to unbalance things), I already have some ideas for it, but I'll wait with posting them until I post EoE - I want to re-think them to make sure it will work with all CoS rules as a whole system.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Ok, so here goes the final part. Effigy of Excess & some general stuff. Still not sure about some elements, but discussion & playtesting gotta start somewhere. ;)

First, army rule:

Number of Slaanesh
Six is the magical number of Slaanesh and his followers often form groups of six or multiplies of six in hope of pleasing their number this way.
At the start of each Cult’s player turn check which units consist of six or multiply of six models (including characters; multipart models, such as cavalry still count as one model). These units gain favour of Pleasure God until the next Cult’s player turn. Units with Mark of Slaanesh and Daemons can subtract one from their roll during break(/instability) tests. Unmarked units can subtract one from their roll during fear, terror and panic tests.

As mentioned earlier, I wanted to implement the idea of 6-ish units gaining an advantage, but at the same time I wanted to keep it small, not to break overall balance.

And now EFFIGY OF EXCESS

First some theorizing, to show reasons behind my ideas. The general idea was that two of ‘component armies’ of SoC have something similar in fluff/function to EoE (Dark Elves – Cauldron of Blood; Warriors of Chaos – Chaos Warshrine), so I used those entries as a point of reference.

1.Slot- CoB is a character ‘mount’, while Chaos Warshrine is a rare choice. I believe EoE should be a character (specifically, Sorceress and/or Supreme Sorceress) upgrade like the former. That’s because of fluff reasons (Sorceresses are leaders & priestesses of the Cult, so it seems natural that one of them should overlook an Altar) as well as balance/variety reasons (with removing of big monsters, Cult characters have shortage of non-1W mounts).

I also kept at the back of my mind the option of making EoE both given limitations if it turns out powerfull enough to need that (so character upgrade taking additional rare choice).

2.Main Function – CoB main use are it’s Blessings – useful, controllable and long range. The long range is also useful to protect CoB from entering HtH combat (so does it’s Terror-causing), as while it’s much better in close combat than normal warmachines, it still has little chance against regular/elite CC-oriented unit.

Warshrine on the other hand, with it’s combined stat-line is extremely resilient, keeping it safe in CC. It’s blessings however are short-ranged and random, so they’re not as useful (unless you bring multiply Warshrines).
Now, with EoE, I wanted to keep randomness of blessings for fluff reasons, so even if given longer range it needs some other focus. Making it resilient would be against spirit of elven&slaaneshi armies, so I decided that the aim would be making it lethal in HtH, while still fragile.

3.Stat line & crew rules – for the function given above Warmachine-like treatment seems like a better choice than one combined profile. To give EoE both a chance in harsher CC and to keep in line with ‘Number of Slaanesh’, I decided to go against the usual route of two ‘crewman’ and instead make it five (for a total of six, including the Sorceress).

As it’s a small unit, that cannot be made bigger or given CG, I wanted to make it supreme-elite to compensate for that – a kind of ‘Devoted Chosen’. Therefore I gave them all Devoted Champion stats & Quickening Blood upgrade (the ASF was IMO needed to cover the fact, that this unit includes fragile spellcaster).

Other than that it follows ‘Attendants’ rule, like CoB.

4.‘Aura-type’ bonus - CoB makes Khainite units Stubborn in 12”, Warshrine gives Eye of Chaos rule to all Champions on the table. The second solution doesn’t IMO fit Cult’s army, but the first one seems appropriate, so I decided to keep it (only changing Khainite to units with MoS and Slaaneshi Daemons).

5.’Blessing-type’ bonus - As mentioned above, I wanted to keep basic randomness of the blessing. However, to make it a bit more controllable I decided to give it longer range and allow re-roll (re-roll only goes to units following ‘Number of Slaanesh’ rule to promote it a bit more).

Of course the original Eye of Chaos table isn’t always suitable for Slaanesh, so I decided to make ‘Eye of Slaanesh’ table instead. Other than it’s use in EoE I think Anointed should roll on it after challenge/monster victory (similar to WoC characters).

6. Ward save - Both CoB and Warshrine get 4+ Ward save, so I gave one to EoE crew also.

7. built-in’ crew saves/special rules - CoB gets EH, Frenzy, Khainite and Poisoned Attacks, Warshrine gets Will of Chaos and 4+ AS. In both cases it comes from the rules of crew (Hags in one case and – supposedly - Chaos Warriors in the other).

Following that, EoE has: EH, Mark of Slaanesh, Narcotic Fumes and Quickening Blood rules.

8. Other rules - Warshrine gets no other rules; CoB gets Magic Resistance (1) and Terror.

In case of EoE I think Terror cannot be justified – Slaanesh is a bit ‘friendlier’ god; still, it’s an otherworldy altar of Chaos God, so Fear would fit IMO. Looking at Warshrine removing even Fear is also an option, but I’m keeping it for now.

No reason for MR on EoE, but I think it would fit nicely the Cult’s Daemon Summoning rule to grant 1 additional Summoning Point for including Effigy in the army.

9. Cost - That’s where it gets tricky. I tried to calculate the costs of both CoB and Warshrine by regular means (that is, compare how much similar rules/stats cost on other entries/items), but it turned out that this way CoB should cost about twice it current cost and Warshrine should cost 10 pts more + whatever the cost of it’s blessing should be.

So I decided to compare rules of CoB and EoE (as these two have more in common) and check how much that speculative part-by-part cost of both would differ. What I came up with was 25 pts higher cost in case of EoE, though not taking into account lesser usefulness of it’s blessings. So I decided that 10 pts of real cost (the one in the army list, not the speculative part-by-part cost I was speaking about above) cost more than CoB would be ok.

Ok, so that’s enough of theorizing, here are the rules themselves: ;)

EFFIGY OF EXCESS - 120 pts
may be taken by Supreme Sorceress or Sorceress instead of a mount. Takes additional rare slot.

Devoted Champion
(or maybe Chosen Devoted instead?)
M WS BS S T W I A Ld
5__5_ 4_ 3 3_1 6 3_8

Special Rules:
Eternal Hatred, Mark of Slaanesh, War Machine, Fear, Narcotic Fumes*, Quickening Blood*

*see Devoted entry

Attendants – The Sorceress, the five Devoted Champions and Effigy of Excess itself are treated as a unit, though they are deployed at the same time as characters. The attendants form the first rank, with the Effigy model placed behind them in second rank. All shooting and other ranged attacks against Effigy of Excess are resolved using War Machine rules. Effigy gives its attendants a 4+ ward save and itself cannot be damaged – ignore any hits allocated against it. If its attendants are killed it is removed immediately.

Glory of SlaaneshAt the beginning of his own turn (after all Psychology tests are taken), the Cult player may pick a single friendly unit within 24”. The unit may immediately roll on the Eye of Slaanesh table – note the effect generated down on your army roster. A unit under effect of Number of Slaanesh rule can re-roll the first result, but in that case the second result must be kept. At the beginning of subsequent turns, the Cult’s player may choose to roll again to get a more desirable result or choose another unit within 24” to be blessed. In both cases it will negate previously generated effects. Note that if there are multiple Effigies present, a unit can reap several rewards in this manner during a single turn.

Altar of Slaanesh – All units with Mark of Slaanesh and Slaaneshi Daemons within 12” of Effigy of Excess become Stubborn.

*Battle Standard Bearer – One Sorceress overlooking Effigy of Excess or one Master in the army may carry the Battle Standard for +25 pts. If a Hero is carrying the Batle Standard, he can have a magic banner (no points limit), but if he carries a magic banner he cannot carry any other magic items.

THE EYE OF SLAANESH table (most gift names not created yet, so I’m only giving effects)
2D6 Roll – Gift of the Pleasure God
2 - Stupidity for the rest of the game
3 – Initiative 10 and gains Always Strikes First
4 – enemy units in base-to-base contact get -1 Ld modifier
5 - +1 Attack
6 - +1 Movement
7 – No effect
8 – Poisoned Attacks
9 - +1 Ld
10 – Fear; if the unit already caused fear, it now causes Terror
11 – 5+ ward save
12 – Stubborn & 4+ ward save
VARIANTS & IDEAS

1. Not sure about order of bonuses in EoS table, it may change

2. I considered allowing also Supreme Sorceress with EoE to be BSB. Fits well fluffwise, but not sure about it rule-wise.

3. I also considered giving EoE War Machine rules - the main difference is it its current version it's allowed to charge. If given regular War Machine restrictions (making it more similar to CoB), I think we can remove ‘takes additional rare slot’ part.

4. As mentioned above, I’ve also considered removing Fear, though probably only if playtesting shows it’s needed.

5. The cost is also subject to change; as I already wrote, it was hard to establish on paper.

6. This version of EoE means Sorceress is likely to end up in CC. So I think including some protective item in Slaaneshi Magic Items would be nice (though nothing powerfull – I was thinking of something like ‘enemy must pass Ld test to attack bearer; otherwise they must allocate their attacks against other models in b-t-b contact’ or something similar)

7. As noted before, I think Anointed should roll on the Eye of Slaanesh table after slaining an opponent in a challenge or a monster.

Ok, so that’s all, unless I missed something there are rules for every entry now. Waiting for comments (especially from you, Kyrel & MA – if you’re still here ;) ). Also, anyone interested in playtesting this version of the list – let me know, I’ll send you a compiled set of rules as soon as I make it (should be in about 2-3 weeks).

[Edit: changed the rules of EoE a bit; also included cost I forgot to write the last time (though it could be deduced from comments).]
Last edited by Weenth on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Merlin
Slave on the Altar

Post by Merlin »

Weenth wrote:Ok, so that’s all, unless I missed something there are rules for every entry now. Waiting for comments (especially from you, Kyrel & MA – if you’re still here ;) ). Also, anyone interested in playtesting this version of the list – let me know, I’ll send you a compiled set of rules as soon as I make it (should be in about 2-3 weeks).

I Just got back into playing Warhammer this summer and have been playing with DE pretty extensively. I always liked the SoC lists, esp. the CoS. If you could send me the rules, I will be playing some warhammer over the weekend and could do some playtesting.

Thanks for all your hard work! this looks like good stuff to me.
Weenth
Black Guard

Post by Weenth »

Hi Merlin! :)

Glad to hear you want to try out the list. :) Just give me your e-mail, so I can send you the file.

Cheers
Weenth
Join the Pink side! ;)

7th ed Cult of Slaanesh
projectlinky here
Bazooka-101
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Bazooka-101 »

I can help anyway i can either by posting some art or by play testing as i usually play my cult(using normal DE rules normally :() every thursday...
With 7th Edition Dark Elves

W:18 D:3 L:4