Dark Elves win Baltimore GT!

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Dark Elves win Baltimore GT!

Post by Drek »

Go druchii! To the winner- congrats! We'd love to see some batreps and your list!
link

What makes it even better is that the next six finishers were half VC, half Daemons. In fact, 10 of the top 13 were VC or Daemons. But they didn't win. :twisted: Given that DE also won heat 3 in the UK, it seems that 7th ed DE are a viable tournament army. Which is a nice change.

Again, congrats to the winner, and go druchii!
Last edited by Drek on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Animatronicdemonskwerral
Beastmaster

Post by Animatronicdemonskwerral »

sweat! just barely edged out in the end but it still looks nice to see us on top of the tournie scene rockin' socks.

i wonder if this is going to start some DE = Overpowered stuff... i honestly think this is the result of making DE players bust their hump with something subpar over the years, then when they get a tune up you get a nasty great player + great army combo.
THR/////////\\\\\\\\\\ZZZZZZZHHHHHHH TILLL D////\\\\////\\\THHHHHHHH
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

I would say to anyone who things DE are over powered to try the army out themselves, its not a walk in the park like daemons it takes a lot of practice to be good with dark elves who dont have the damage resistance of daemons and vampires
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Grandmaster EJ wrote:I would say to anyone who things DE are over powered to try the army out themselves, its not a walk in the park like daemons it takes a lot of practice to be good with dark elves who dont have the damage resistance of daemons and vampires

I think they would point to the Hydra and Pendant of Khaeleth and disagree with you. I don't want to distract too much from this thread, but the idea that Dark Elves are somehow "less powerful" than Daemons or Vamps is pretty ridiculous. Daemons and Vamps simply require less skill and finesse to play, but Dark Elves can easily be cheesed out, broken and overpowered like those other two armies. We have all the tools for that.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Slortor

Post by Slortor »

Tethlis wrote:
Grandmaster EJ wrote:I would say to anyone who things DE are over powered to try the army out themselves, its not a walk in the park like daemons it takes a lot of practice to be good with dark elves who dont have the damage resistance of daemons and vampires

I think they would point to the Hydra and Pendant of Khaeleth and disagree with you. I don't want to distract too much from this thread, but the idea that Dark Elves are somehow "less powerful" than Daemons or Vamps is pretty ridiculous. Daemons and Vamps simply require less skill and finesse to play, but Dark Elves can easily be cheesed out, broken and overpowered like those other two armies. We have all the tools for that.

the same logic applies to most armies - pretty much every army can cheese out in some way and make a very bent army, the real decider is how difficult these cheese lists are to win with at that point DE are less overpowered than some other armies, like VC, DoC and prehaps HE.
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

AnimatronicDemonSkwerral wrote:i honestly think this is the result of making DE players bust their hump with something subpar over the years, then when they get a tune up you get a nasty great player + great army combo.

I agree. For years DE players had to be better than others just to break even. Heck, I went something like 2 years without winning a game, but I learned a ton in that time. Now that we've got a good book, our skill really shines.
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

For those that are already jumping on the overpowered bandwagon, if the #2 player (vamp) had paited/based his army a little better, he would have won...look at the points breakdown. Regardless, congratulations to the winners, better luck next time to the rest.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Grandmaster ej

Post by Grandmaster ej »

I still think that in terms of brute force, Vamps and Daemons are more straight forward, i saw loads of 'pendant and 2 hydra' lists at GT and they were mostly on the middle or bottom tables, doesnt exactly scream cheesy to me.
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

IIRC Charles Addison came second to our own Anthony Spiers at the Vegas GT. In that tourney he was pretty much all infantry I think, and ran with 3/4 Masters.
El hombre
Executioner

Post by El hombre »

any news on the list of the winner?
From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken
the crownless again shall be king.
Silentdeath
Warrior

Post by Silentdeath »

Well indeed !!

It comes as no surprise to me that he came and won that one,it was coming, he is pretty darn good. I was desperate to get over and enter but the money would not have stretched, would have welcomed the opportunity to play him again.

I like him because he uses different lists not jumping on the bandwagons, instead creating his own flavour. It takes a better calibre of player to do that !

Does anyone know his user name on here? Very curious to know what was in his list?!

Anthony
'Make Love Not War'
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Very well done lord of the Druchii!! I wonder if he'd be so nice to post his tournament winning list, like to try it :P .
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

Excellent - especially since I was quite worried about the potential destructive powers of combined Tz/Kh ... great win for the druchii!
"... Why so serious? ..."
Girathon
Cold One Knight

Post by Girathon »

You can find the list at the following link (its about 2/3 of the way down the first page):

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3096091

Cheers,

G
Cold One Knight

Girathon wrote:You can find the list at the following link (its about 2/3 of the way down the first page):

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3096091

Cheers,

G

I'll just post the list here (and it sure does look like a nasty list):

Dreadlord on Dark Steed
-Heavy Armour; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield
-Hydra Blade;Pendant of Khaeleth; Potion of Strength
Hag Queen
-Cauldron of Blood
Master, BSB
-Heavy Armor, SDC; Soulrender;2 Null Shards(MR2)
Sorcerer;Lvl 1;Dispell Scroll;Dispell Scroll

25 Spearmen; Full Command; Warbanner
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen;Musician;Shields
10 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen;Musician;Shields
3 x 5 Harpies

20 Black Guard;Full Command;Ring of Hotek;Banner of Hag Graef
7 Shades;Great Weapons

2 RBTs
1 Hydra
Last edited by Enfant terrible on Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

I like that list and I suspect you will too Mr. Spiers... ;)
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

AnimatronicDemonSkwerral wrote:I honestly think this is the result of making DE players bust their hump with something subpar over the years, then when they get a tune up you get a nasty great player + great army combo.

I agree completely.

Although the DE were 3rd in turns of battle score, beaten by two VC armies. I'm surprised at the low battle scores for the Daemon armies...
3 bots slain in Khaine's name.
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

I wonder if he ran those rxb's 2 X 5 or 10 across.

A couple of observations about this list.

1. I would not consider this an over the top list. Nothing really jumps out and says "cheese". It looks like other builds we've all seen.

2. No Khainite units or assasins to support the cauldron. Proving you can be successful without khainite units in a cauldron list.

3. No dark riders. Everyone's favorite unit sits on the sideline for this one.

Congrats to Charles on the win.
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

cougar_roger wrote:2. No Khainite units or assasins to support the cauldron. Proving you can be successful without khainite units in a cauldron list.

3. No dark riders. Everyone's favorite unit sits on the sideline for this one.

Congrats to Charles on the win.

Ad.2) BUT he has a HUGE unit of hard as nails BG's and of course the Hydra - which makes for two units that makes good use of the cauldron; that build has proven its value before.

Ad.3) I was surprised by this as well - might just gonna try going down that road!
Charlie
Slave on the Altar

Post by Charlie »

silentdeath wrote:Does anyone know his user name on here? Very curious to know what was in his list?!

Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I mostly sit on the sidelines on this forum, but I'm here under my super sneaky user name. I thought it was pretty funny when I started tweaking my list after Vegas and then saw what you were running in the UKGT. Our lists are getting spooky similar. More power to you for putting the Witch Elves out there though; I can't get mine painted up to snuff to even try it.

My battle reports are scattered all over the place, but I'll try to post them here seperately. This link to the WPS ones should suit most folks.

http://warhammer.org.uk/PhP/viewtopic.php?t=50997&highlight=

Cheers,

Charlie
Silentdeath
Warrior

Post by Silentdeath »

Hi Charlie,

well done on your success, I have seen come of these character set-ups before... mmm let me guess LOL

Interested in your little tweaks, I cant help but miss the cauldron by the way!!

Anthony
'Make Love Not War'
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Great Battle Reps... had fun reading them!

Congrats on the win!
Cougar_roger
Cold One Knight

Post by Cougar_roger »

Charles, I have a question...

I noticed that your BSB has two null talismans. Going on the assumption that you put him in the unit with the ROH, did you find people still casting at that unit and actually having to use the talismans?
bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve...
Silentdeath
Warrior

Post by Silentdeath »

I used this exact same combo at the GT heats and didnt use it even once !!!!
'Make Love Not War'
Charlie
Slave on the Altar

Post by Charlie »

Like Anthony, I never had a spell cast at the Black Guard, and only ever had the Ring go off on a Van Hel's Dance in round 2 near the end of the game. Having the MR2 and the ring probably saved me from being targeted by some magic missiles in round 1 and Curse of Years in round 2. I suppose the evidence that either item works, and that the combo works even better, is that you never get to use it. :oops:

Without the MR2, I would have probably spent some dispel dice against Burning Iron spells trying to pick off the Ring. In my mind, the MR2 is really there to defend against Tomb Kings, Ogres, Slaan, and bound spells (read Empire War Altar); i.e. armies that can cast offensive magic on 1 die or without caring about miscasts. I would also expect new Chaos Mortal armies to keep casting at the unit if they have the Puppet to effect miscast rolls, so maybe the MR would be useful in that situation too.

Charlie