How do Fighty characters die?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Thomus darkblade
Shade

How do Fighty characters die?

Post by Thomus darkblade »

When was the last time you pummeled an enemy character to death? That is to say you walked rode or flew up to an enemy fighty lord, and killed him without the help of a killing blow?

I ask because on this forum and on Warseer there are threads dedicated to complaints regarding the pendant of khaeleth. The main arguement being that the character wearing the pendant is impossible to kill.

Now I for one have had very little success ever killing enemy characters by beating them to death, I've always KBe'd them or beat the hell out of the unit, and ran down/ crumbled the characters.

In my last 5 games ( about as far back as I can remember in detail)

Vs Orcs- I killed the BSB with doom and darkness/ panic test crossfire, failed to kill the warboss.

I lost no fighty characters

Reslt- DE Massacre

Vampires- Failed to kill any characters, prolonged pummeling on vampires dosn't really work.

My BSB was run down after being autobroken from fear.

Result- Vampire massacre

Empire- Avoided the combat blocks and characters with them

None of my characters were killed, although my assassin took a wound from a hochland.

Result- Draw

Brets- Killed many knights with asf Hydra banner black guard, forcing the BSB to flee, then charged the fleeing unit with harpies, forcing the BSB off the board. To deal with the lord, I killed his Hippo, and later broke him with SCR from crossbows

My Assassin was run down by a lance, pegasus captain was run down by pegasus knights.

Result- Draw

Orcs- Killed the General by s7iing his chariot, then ran him down . Killed the BSB with a KB from an assassin

- Pegasus captain was hit by a chariot, his peg was killed and he was run down.

Result- Massacre for DE

Demons - Failed to kill Herald of khorne BSB and GUO.
Result- Demon massacre

My dragon was killed by the staff of nurgle after failing 8 consecutive toughness tests, the lord (who survived) was later run down by horrors and bloodletters.

TKs- Killed the Tomb king by flanking his unit with Dark riders, and killing many chariots with s7, crumbling him. Failed to kill the tomb Prince
Result- Draw.

BSB was beaten to death by a Tomb scorpion in single combat.

So In my last 5 games I only killed one (non mage) character by beating on it (with killing blow) I lost one (hero level) fighty character to a powerful small monster, and a dragon to 30 s5 magical hits.

So of my 22 fighty characters I brought on the board ( including dragons and assassins) 2 were beaten down (one by magic), and 5 were run down, on my part, 4 fighty characters were run down, one paniced and one was KBed,

So lets start a tally

Total:
Run down-9
Beat down-2
Shot (magiced) down-1
Paniced-1
KB'ed-1

Anyone else want to contribute? How do your characters die? how do you kill your opponents characters?
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Most of the time my fighty heroes have been squashed by bigger enemy fighty heroes. e.g Bloodthirsters, Dragons, Treeman. Usually this has involved some mistakes in getting them in combat in the first place.

With very fighty lords I think the best way to defeat them is to get them to run away by static combat resolution. As this then bypasses all their nasty ward saves, regeneration and so on.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Emal
Executioner

Post by Emal »

Ok lets try this out.

Old warriors of chaos.
Assassin vs Archaon - Assassin victorius.

Daemons of chaos.
Herald of tzeentch vs sorceress magic duell - herald dead by tzeentch wrath (misscast)

Herald of khorne vs cold one hero - herald eaten by cold one.

Vampire counts.
Necromancer vs dark riders - kicked to death by horse.

Vampire vs black guard champion - vampire dust on halberd.

High elves.
Tyrion vs bolt thrower - elf on a stick.
For the druchii
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Dohoho!

I stopped using dragons when my lord on a black dragon got beat in combat by a unit of ~15 dwarfs, I whiffed every roll and rolled a 3 to flee. Dwarfs ran me down. Not slayers either. :<

Best game, was when a wolf from a wolf chariot killed a slann. The store was roaring! The mounts almost always do better than the riders, it's just my luck.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Blew up a Daemon Prince with a single cannon shot.

Last week, my fighty Master was outnumbered Brets and run down. There was a BSB in that unit, but I couldnae touch him. His general was killed by my Draichmaster, who was standing in front of my Cauldron. That's what I can remember, but usually, my or my enemies' characters are lost to pursuit or panic. I've had a few mano-y-manos, but they usually end up in two guys standing there on turn six, whaling on each other without success, unless someone piles in the troops and pushes them away.

So, one shot, one ran, one KB [two, actually, but it makes nae difference]

Anyway, my personal best character kill was a Halberdier knocking off a Chaos Sorceror's wacky blue noggin, with a heave ho and a Die, Heretic!
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Furgil
Warrior

Post by Furgil »

I haven't played enough games with my DE to give an accurate response, but I've accepted challenges with nothing but ASF, Soulrender, and 1+ armor save on my Lord and have killed a few enemy characters and also lost my lord to an enemy general (just for fun I could have accepted with a champ or hero). It would appear that DE shoudl be able to pick their fights in most cases and kill anything they are built to kill and avoid anythign they can't kill. I've always found it's way easier to crumble a unit aroudn the character than fight them in single combat... seems like suicide most of the time.

Now with my Vampire Counts I use a fighty lord with 2+ armor, Auto-hit Lance, immune to KB armor, and regen banner so that I can accept and issue challenges against the most dangerous foes. In most battles where I win my Vampire Lord has issued or accepted an enemy character or several character's challenges and crushed them. Including...

Vampire Lord, Vampire Hero, Wight King, Tomb King, DE Dreadlord with PoK, Skaven Warlord, the list goes on and I can't remember a tournament where I haven't crushed at least half of theenemy general's in single combat. So it happens, but not in every army build or game.
- Aaron Chapman
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

my heros usually get run down and my draich master has 3 tomb prince heads on his trophy rack (played TK 3 times :D).
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Master of arneim
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Master of arneim »

If we consider the latest releases I can say that you often beat the enemy uber character with shooting, because in hth there is quite nothing to do vs them:
- greater daemons
- He star dragon and dragons in general
- flying or mounted mortal chaos heroes

Those are by far the thoughest characters that can really be nasty (I do not consider the dwarf lord because it will be out of the game if you play properly). The only exception is the great unclean: only hope that the opponent hasn't got the glory banner, so you can try to beat it with combat resolution and even 20 spears can deal with it.

About other on foot characters like vampires or orks I think you can kill them quite easily with assassins/Kbs/combat resolution or simply with many attacks because they really lack on armour or saves.

One of the most difficult character to kill is of course the uber protected Dreadlord: regen, pendant and an armour save between 2+ and 3+ is surely difficult to manage, but on the other side he should not be immune to fear (if not mounted on cold one) and still suffer the combat resolution.

Edit: @ Fro
The mounts almost always do better than the riders

I don't know, but I'm sure this must be an unwritten rule of warhammer. There should be some trick that lets mounts always be superior to riders, always.
Master of Arneim, proud ruler of the cult of the thousand draichs, because bigger is better.
Druchiishootlord
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Druchiishootlord »

I tend to a little bit of disagreeing with the Dwarf Lord. Every good Dwarf player that knows you're going to avoid the Dwarf Lord will have tricks to make sure you engage him.

That being said there aren't really very many ways to outright kill a fighty lord. Really the best way to kill these boys is to kill their unit. I've thrown Dragon Lords with a robust 9 S6 attacks at fighty lords and have only just come out on the better end.

So you pretty much said it. You need to beat the unit and not them. You beat them but beating the weaker half of him, his unit. Then you can take care of him later on and finish it.
"Like never before will the weaker race of men tremble before our might."

Lord Yeurl to his captain before a battle in the Old World.

R4V3N wrote:do not question eldacar.

his word is law.
Right hand of khaine
Shade

Post by Right hand of khaine »

I ask because on this forum and on Warseer there are threads dedicated to complaints regarding the pendant of khaeleth. The main arguement being that the character wearing the pendant is impossible to kill.

This argument about the Pendant has been going since the book was released and quite frankly is just an attempt by players of opposing armies to relieve Druchii players of a powerful magic item.

Yes, it may offer fantastic protection against high strength attacks, but it hardly makes a character invincible:

1. Firstly Dark Elves have low toughness and so can be easily wounded by lower strength attacks which the Pendant offers limited protection against.

2. Yes, it can be used in conjunction with armour, but then you have weapons that ignore armour saves and then others with killing blow.....Wood Elf arrows anybody?..and weapons which bestow killing blow without increasing strength to a whopping level.

3. Magic items can be destroyed by spells and other magic items - therefore the Pendant can be destroyed.

4.Some spells completely ignore such protection....those that require you to take a toughness or strength test for example or lose a wound. Many have no strength value meaning the Pendant offers no protection (unless some faq says so otherwise).

5. Finally, any attempted saves made by the Pendant automatically fail on roll of a 6.

I am sure I could pick any number of magic items of opposing armies and say these are too powerful and would like them to be removed from the army book....afterall it is always easier to not have to deal with those things that would otherwise require us to use our brains and think.....

Right Hand of Khaine
Hans von darkelf
Corsair

Post by Hans von darkelf »

erm.... i blew a blodthrister up with a cannon, the big daemon rampaged through my entire army before coming to a halt right infront of the cannon then boooooom!!!!

my witch elf hag killed a tomb king in chariot in a challenge:)
Dalamar wrote:It was the alien hat!

Now we know the truth :twisted:
Kloek107
Slave on the Altar

Post by Kloek107 »

Well about the Pendant it should too fail on a 1, although there is discussion about it. So then it is easier to kill someone wearing it (so against a lord with strength 6 you would have a 3+ ward save, which is the max) It's playtested with failing on a 6 and 1.
Circus_1943
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Circus_1943 »

Just have to get this out there.
My A7 Strenght 7 Chaos Lord couldnt kill my friends lowly Dark elf lord in 3 rounds of combat. He survived the entire game duelling my lord.
I was shocked!

Over&out