xTickx's Army Blog w/pics (Converted Shades painted)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Xtickx
Shade

xTickx's Army Blog w/pics (Converted Shades painted)

Post by Xtickx »

I started collecting my DE about 2 years ago to play with a group of friends. While I did manage to assemble and paint a good 1.5k worth of models, I really didnt have any rhyme or reason on how I collected my army and hence had a poor showing in my games ,so I lost interest. I did however play alot of 40k and pretty much gave up on fantasy. The release of the latest codex along with a campaign peaked my interest with DE once again, so around late Oct I picked up the new codex and away I went. This time however I have done alot of homework (thanks to this site) and came up with many ideas with what I wanted to do with this army. So to start here are a few of my models.

My newest creation is my Darkriders ,here is my 1st

A few of the models need a bit of basing done. Mostly just snow ( I get distracted easily :D
Last edited by Xtickx on Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Druchii_jesse
Warrior

Post by Druchii_jesse »

ya messed up the coding, real nice DR though
Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

the dark rider is exceptionally good. I have to make a note for myself to get a box of corsairs when I feel like converting some.

the harpy has cool wings, but I just don't like her pink clothes. in general, I think a harpy should have no clothes at all, but if it does have some, then I'd prefer it to attract less attention. however, that is entirely a matter of personal preferences - the work you did is still good.
Last edited by Lakissov on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

I like your models, we have about the same colourscheme, I use red too instead of purple :P I like the Dark Rider too, he looks nice and it's original. The assassin looks also pretty nice. Your painting is neat and looks great (especcially on tabletop). Looking forward to see more of your army!
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

any clue what im doing wrong with the coding?
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

remove the spaces between the code and the URL. That should do the trick.

Nice conversions, by the way. Can you get your images to 800×600 resolution? They're a bit small as they are now.
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Leerd
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Leerd »

I really like your Dark riders and your harpies. Can't wait to see more. :D
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Nice job.

I think your color scheme would benefit from the use of a small amount of another color aside from red just to add a little bit of visual interest.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

Looks good! I actually saw your pics at the warhammer group on flickr! :D

heres how to add photos from flickr here:

Step 1: Go to All Sizes

Step 2: Copy the #2 direction.

Step 3: Back to druchii.net, enclose the code you copied in between the [ i m g ] <code here> [ / i m g ] tags.
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

really nice conversions, the ahrpies as I told you look superb, as the dark raider..I´ll steal some ideas from you
Death before dishonor
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

druchii_jesse: thank you, yeah had issues with coding
Lakissov: I agree with the harpies, I am just not a fan of the metal ones. I saw voodoo boyz and went in the same direction as his harpies.
Farodin: Thank you, still trying to work on the neatness hehe, I will probably post some of my earlier stuff, I have changed my DE scheme 3 times now. They started out purple :P
Sarcon: Thank you, the pics are nice and big now :) smaller pics seem to hide the flaws better though :P
Dyvim Tvar: Any suggestions? I tend to like to try and keep color schemes simple, once I make it more complex my painting tends to slow down.
ampao: THANK YOU!! I was getting frustrated trying to find out where the link was hiding, I think I tried everywhere but there!
Lord_Azoth: Thanks! Nice thing about the corsairs is that they have soo many cool bits to use to convert things with.
Ampao
Assassin

Post by Ampao »

oh, btw, do you have a pic of the DR from the back? Im interested to see how you did the cloak on it.
Sathnir tempestmaster
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sathnir tempestmaster »

I like, especially the cold one and assassin.

Only suggestion is perhaps add soem metal to the witch elves, make them abit less red.

Other than that though the models look great, and the DR is similar to mine, though prolly executed alittle better(I tried to ebd the corsair cloak with a lighter, and the model caught fire). Id also agree with lakissov on the harpy front, a drown or very dark red might suit it better.
Sathnir Tempestmaster
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

Ampao: Here you go, upon amplification I noticed some areas that need a bit of touching up, mostly on the right side of the picture.

Sathnir Tempestmaster: You are very right sir, the witch elves you see are phase 2 elves, but atm they are painted, so once I can I will get back and touch them up, they should end up looking similar to the hag once im done. I may even have them take a bath in simple green, and start anew.
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

While im still building more DR, I veered off to make a BsB on foot. Here is what I came up with.
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

Very nice indeed. As it is the holidays, I will be on more frequently now, for those that remember me from way-back when, but thats off topic...

I have been seeing a lot more of the red colour scheme in Druchii armies, and I must admit it is growing on me. Love the DR, where did you get the horse from? My only suggestions would be to dull down the red on the WE to make them more like the hag (which you already addressed) and to make the red on the harpy a bit more sinister, as the fluff has always made them seem dark and terrifying, not clothed in red :D but I suppose that is a matter of opinion.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

Lonely : The horse is from the glade riders. Im going to try and dull down the red with a coat or two of badab black and see how that turns out. I was thinking of way to adress the harpy with clothes. What I came up with is, that there wasnt simply enough harpies, so my sorceress simply created some using some wood elf captives and a wee bit of dark magic :idea:
Lonely shade
Beastmaster

Post by Lonely shade »

O.o I completely don't recognize the glade guard horse. Strange. And I like the idea, I'll be waiting for pics.

- Lonely
"You boys look pretty clean cut, but then again you could have murdered your grandmother with a hammer..."
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

Ah you probably dont recognize it due to me adding its headdress which I think was from the corsair sprue :?: I pretty much have the next 4 assembled, I just need to greenstuff a cloak or 2 and then the horse markings.
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

Well I picked up a box of gladeguard, because of all the wonderful shade conversions I have been seeing on this site. Here are my versions I have converted. One of the poses was inspired by Sarcon's awesome shades. Next set I do will most likely have great weapons. Now that holiday season is over I should have plenty of time to pick back up those paint brushes I have been ignoring....hopefully!

Lakissov
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lakissov »

Your shades are very very good, although I think that the second and third from the left might have been attached to the base at a slightly different angle. With the right-most shade, I'm not convinced with the positioning of the dagger.

By the way, what are you making your bases from? This looks like greenstuff to me, but I guess it's something else - GS bases would have been a bit too expensive...
I assume, you are trying to model limestone with those bases?
Xtickx
Shade

Post by Xtickx »

Thank you Lakissov, the angles pretty much are corrected on those figures as I didnt pin them yet. They were just pushed onto the base to show a foot print for when the GS dried. Its not GW GS, its called Kneadatite, here is the link: http://www.thewarstore.com/kneadatitepu ... pting.html
It is relatively cheap and easy to use. As good as its GW counterpart imho. As for the angle of the dagger, I know its is a bit odd angled, but I kind of like it.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

The shades look great. The corsair weapons them are really cool. I wonder if perhaps there would be a way to get different heads on them so that they look a bit more Druchii-ish. Perhaps add some uncovered wood elf heads.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Caiaphus
Corsair

Post by Caiaphus »

Oh. Your shades look so much better than mine. How did you get the cloaked heads to work? I could not figure it out.

EDIT:

I worked it out. Sorry, I should have look harder before posting.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I like the dark rider conversion a lot.

One thing that I think it needs, is the join between the horse neck and body needs a bit of fill (if you haven't done this already). You've put in so much effort to make a cool conversion, but the simple work needs done to avoid having a distraction to what is otherwise a great figure.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?