Maneaters in the new book - worth trying?

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Aussie dark elf
Warrior

Maneaters in the new book - worth trying?

Post by Aussie dark elf »

For something different to the normal hydra + 2RBTs, I'm thinking of trying 3 maneaters with handguns in a combined force list (dragon, infantry, crossbowmen, cold ones etc). Just wondering if anyone has tried maneaters with the new book and if so how did they go.
Amras
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Amras »

"Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer."
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

There is no reference to Dogs of War in the new army book, so no Maneaters unfortunately.

My leadbelchers got retired for the same reason.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Rabidnid wrote:There is no reference to Dogs of War in the new army book, so no Maneaters unfortunately.

There is no reference in any of the new books. The rules of the respective units say whether and by whom they can be used as mercenaries. So yes, it works. Mengil's for example can still be hired (though mine are shades now because I have a great need for shades :D )

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Hehe, funny. Normally, I'd warn you for spam, but this is a good joke and a good song (and it does sorta fit the topic of the thread in a weird sorta way) so no worries.

But in the future, let's stay on topic ;)
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Anderson wrote:
Rabidnid wrote:There is no reference to Dogs of War in the new army book, so no Maneaters unfortunately.

There is no reference in any of the new books. The rules of the respective units say whether and by whom they can be used as mercenaries. So yes, it works. Mengil's for example can still be hired (though mine are shades now because I have a great need for shades :D )

HUZZAH!

The rules aren't currently on any of the GW sites so they may be on the way out. OPs choice if he want's to spend money on something that might become redundant in a year or so.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Rabidnid wrote:The rules aren't currently on any of the GW sites so they may be on the way out. OPs choice if he want's to spend money on something that might become redundant in a year or so.
They are still available in the French website... soon to be "up"-graded and aligned on the new UK website.

But don't say we're late in France: we had a warning:
GW plans to stop availability of DoW for non-DoW armies.

I am not sure whether giants will be available to any army or only to those listing them.
Ogres might remain available to any army, as it is mentioned in their army book.
The models being available, there might be a new Mercenary Army Book on its way.
Wait and see...

Anyway, why would a Corsair share its loot with expansive mercenaries?
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Grogsnotpowwabomba
The Aspect of Murder
The Aspect of Murder

Post by Grogsnotpowwabomba »

Calisson wrote:Anyway, why would a Corsair share its loot with expansive mercenaries?

Because he needs them to obtain that loot perhaps?
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

What the hell sort of Corsair are you Calisson? The moment a little doggie-o'-war has done his work, he's Sea Dragon bait. How the devil d'you think we catch them?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The Dogs of War codex was made way back in 5th edition. Unless someone has a link to something I haven't seen, DoW are dead. Just like the items from the 5th edition Albion campaign are dead. And the Dark Emmisaries. And the Storm of Chaos book. And all the other 5th edition made-up stuff.
Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Q. May an army which does not have a specific entry for Dogs of War
in their Army Book or Army List hire and field Dogs of War /
Regiments of Renown units?

A. The rules for including Dogs of War in other armies are found
in the Dogs of War army list and Regiments of Renown list. If the
Army Book / Army List in question or the Dogs of War / Regiments
of Renown list allow the Army Book / Army List in question to field
Dogs of War / Regiments of Renown then it is legal to do so.

For example, in the Orcs & Goblins army book (2006 version), the army
book does not include any language about hiring Dogs of War, however
as the Dogs of War rules allow Orcs & Goblins to field units of Dogs of
War, it is still legal to do so. Orcs & Goblins may also hire the
Regiments of Renown as outlined in the “For Hire” rules for each
particular Regiment of Renown.
S. Gav Thorpe – Warhammer Design Team / Dogs of War Army List /
Regiments of Renown List

The only real issue would be if your opponent wasn't ok with it. As for Maneaters, yeah they're great but not really needed in a DE army in my experience.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I did a quick search on the GW page and can see no references to the Dogs of War under available armies nor their "gaming articles" section. Can you paste the link for that please?
Thomus darkblade
Shade

Post by Thomus darkblade »

While the Dogs of WAr may be an obsolete list, that certainly doesn't mean that the Ogre Kingdoms Dogs of war are obsolete. As long as the Ogre kingdoms list is up to date, they're legal in most settings.

That said maneaters are terrible because they take up 2 rare spots. I used to run one with my 6th edition Druchii on occasion, but stopped when I discovered that clause. (Oddly enough no-one ever called me on it, not even ogre players) As a single rare choice they're pretty good, a bit overpriced but usable.
Desert icon
Assassin

Re: Maneaters in the new book - worth trying?

Post by Desert icon »

Aussie Dark Elf wrote:For something different to the normal hydra + 2RBTs, I'm thinking of trying 3 maneaters with handguns in a combined force list (dragon, infantry, crossbowmen, cold ones etc). Just wondering if anyone has tried maneaters with the new book and if so how did they go.

If you can dish out the 270 points for 3 fully-loaded killing machines then they can be very effective, but as has been said before they are both overpriced and limit your army's versatility greatly by taking up 2 rare choices. Great for chariot and knight busting, sure, but personally I'd rather take 3 bolt throwers. You can be almost guaranteed those Maneaters are going to be the priority target in your opponent's mind.