500 Point Escalation League

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Vutall
Trainee Warrior

500 Point Escalation League

Post by Vutall »

Hello all, We are having a fantasy escalation league starting at 500 points, going up 250 points every other month, totalling out at 1750. So, I was wondering if you could review a list I made.

So far, I know of a Vampire Counts player, and who knows what else.

Master:
Heavy Armor
Shield
Biting Blade
Pearl of Infinite Bleakness

Assassin
Rune of Khaine
Extra Hand Weapon
Manbane

10 Repeater Crossbowman

18 Warriors
Full Command
Shields

What do you think?

((characters in warrior block))
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

2 characters in 500 points?

Get more troops instead, especially something with punch (COC, COK, BG, RBT, or a Hydra if you are feeling nasty, but that's a bit OTT for that size)! :)

Bye
Thanee
Vutall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Vutall »

Its taking a gamble, but I dont have to worry much about cannons since I dont think we have an empire player, and i dont know if anyone is going to be taking stone throwers.

The warrior block is kinda all eggs in one basket, but for its size, it is NASTY. I see the problem of it getting shot to heck though.

I thought about a hydra, but honestly, thats almost asking to get punched.

The VC player ran a vargoth ((however they are spelled)) and continually terrored everyone off the board on his turn 2 during their "Army building" phase. and people seriously wanted to end the guy's life.

I am open to suggestions though, I just would like to see the reasoning to help me understand. Ive never played at small points games, so this is a whole new game for me.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

Drop the assasin for sure. At 500pt., he is just not worth the cost of the units you can get for his price. If you are going to spend your master's full allowance, pendant and soulrender are probably your best bet for a foot master. Give him full mundance armor as well. Then I would put him in the spear unit. For the rpice of the musician I would get a naked 5 man unit of dark riders and a unit of 5 harpies. This will even you back out I think.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Yeah, the Hydra is too much, as I said... but some folks play like that, so you never know. ;)

I would probably drop the Assassin for a Cold One Chariot and some other stuff.

For example...

134 Master with Greatweapon, Armour of Darkness, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness
155 20 Warriors with Shields and Full Command
110 10 Crossbowmen with Shields
100 1 Cold One Chariot

Bye
Thanee
Vutall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Vutall »

Hrm. The only other problem i have is I dont own any dark riders ((never use them in large games)) harpies, or Cold one Chariots. I suppose I could buy them, but id like to try and avoid them if I could. If you all think its imposible to build a list without them though, again, im open to suggestions.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Well, sure... they just offer a very nice punch for a reasonable cost. :)

There are plenty options... i.e. a small unit of 5 COK or a unit of 10 BG. A bit more costly, though.

Bye
Thanee
Vutall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Vutall »

I tried a unit of 5 COK with a master on Cold One, and I failed stupidity once, got charged by 2 Cairn Wraiths and a Banshee, and they were decimated. Im assuming that they normally dont have that kind of performance, and would like to try them out again though..
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

Well, to even things out, I once won a combat against 2 Cairn Wraiths and a Banshee with just 10 Repeater Crossbowmen (yes, he rolled abysmally bad). :lol:

Ethereals are also very nasty in such small games, not much around that can harm them (I suppose that's the point of the biting blade in your list).

Maybe you really should get a magic weapon, if you know that VC are around and he is prone to using Cairn Wraithes. A Master equipped like druchii77 proposed would be ideal then, I think. Good punch and good protection, but no immune to psychology unless you put him on a Cold One (which makes the Soulrender a bit weaker) or into a small unit of Black Guard.

Hmm...

140 Master with Soulrender, HA, SDC, Shield, Pendant of Khaeleth
180 20 Warriors with Shields, Full Command and War Banner
115 10 Crossbowmen with Shields and Musician
65 5 Black Guard

Bye
Thanee
Vutall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Vutall »

Hrm, I like it, Ill give it a test play.

So, out of curiosity, how did your repeater crossbowman kill the ethereal unit? I thought only magic weapons could harm them.
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

In melee. They didn't attack. They won by static CR (which was small enough... one extra rank (at least initially), outnumber, and higher ground + musician).

Bye
Thanee
Vutall
Trainee Warrior

Post by Vutall »

Hehe, Nice!