Corsair Cauldron list, Brothers of the Coast come tweak!

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Corsair Cauldron list, Brothers of the Coast come tweak!

Post by Zardock »

Well we at the Brothers of the Coast have indeed been doing some thinking and decided that with suitable tweaking we can create a valid corsair list with fluff back ground and still include the COB and Khainite units. They just worship the Sea Dragons now not Khaine :D .

Here is the proto-list I knocked up.

Corsair Serpent Fleet
2000pts

Dreadlord @ 225pts
Equipped with Crimson Death, Armour of Darkness, Pendant of Khaeleth.

Death Hag @ 275pts
Equipped with Rune of Khaine + Manbane.
With the Cauldron of Blood, BSB.

Corsairs @ 230pts
18 Corsairs with Full Command and Sea Serpent Standard.

Corsairs @ 113pts
10 Corsairs with Repeater Hand Bows, Reaver with Pair of Hand bows.

Corsairs @ 230pts
18 Corsairs with Full Command and Banner of Murder.

Repeater Crossbowmen @ 110pts
10 Crossbowmen with Shields.

Repeater Crossbowmen @ 110pts
10 Crossbowmen with Shields.

Harpies @ 55pts
5 Harpies.

Harpies @ 55pts
5 Harpies.

Witch Elves @ 110pts
7 Witches, Hag with Rune of Khaine.

Executioners @ 112pts
7 Executioners, Draich Master and Musician.

Black Guard @ 264pts
13 Black Guard with Full Command, Banner of Hag Graef, Ring of Hotek.

Shades @ 126pts
6 Shades with Great Weapons, Bloodshade.

Points= 2005.

Models = 113

Dispel Dice = 2 Power Dice = 2

To be honest I really skipped some of the things I love about Druchii and that is Bolt Throwers and Dark Riders, but in order to fit them in I would have to remove all my Khaine units and would end up with my standard corsair list anyway.

Black Guard, now I know I am going to get some gripe about their inclusion and this is because I needed a fall back combat beast who could carry my army a bit if the flanking strategy falls to peices and also Ring of Hotek caddy was needed so I just used this unit again, so before the Flaming starts there are my excuses but any alternatives would be appreciative.

Standard double block of Corsairs for the Combat res and the lovely slavers rule. Harpies and Shades for march Block, war machine or mage hunting what ever tickles my fancy at the time.

And now to the additions the Khainite things, Never having used witch elves before I decided to use a small unit of flankers to add alot of attacks to shred through lightly armours foes and break annoying prolonged combats. They will also be able to remove enemy light flanking units or fast cav that gets to close, and hopefully will not get lured to much...

The same applies to the Executioners, high strength flanking unit who will be deployed to take out those heavily armoured units and with a cauldren blessing or +1 attack and hatred I am hoping to see alot of Killing Blow.

The Cauldren is the centre of this army, not only because I am planning some epic conversion of the thing but also because it is the BSB standard build which will be able to turn my units into killing machines, the frenzied corsairs with KB or +1 attack likewise with the BG's should prove a nice little way to take down the enemy and if charged should hold its own due to the Death Hags Rune of Khaine truckload of attacks :twisted:

Really hoping to playtest this soon or if anyone else would like to take this out and try it and post back that would be nice, I want to know if the small units of Khainites will have an effect or if the lack of a Bolt Thrower or DRs will affect the out come of the game.

Any tips or experiance with similar lists would be nice, I will probably proxy this list before I embark on the converting of Corsair themed Witches and Execs, but I intend to get the Shrine of the Serpents project on the go asap and will be posting pics of its progress on the site as soon as its more than a pile of bitz.
Last edited by Zardock on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

This doesn't look too bad. You are going to have to be careful with two frenzied units in your army. They will be easily baited. I can't say that I would trade anything beside the obvious non corsair parts. Actually, if you wanted a corsairs themed army, you should drop the khainites altogether and replace them with dark riders and RBT as those are more raider oriented than most.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Hulkster
Beastmaster

Post by Hulkster »

I like this army a lot

Nice theme and it looks quite strong, though a fast army will prob take you apart

Overall, nice
I love you
Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Hulkster wrote:I like this army a lot

Nice theme and it looks quite strong, though a fast army will prob take you apart

Overall, nice

I think it will depend if it's a light fast army or a heavy fast army. Light cavalry, skirmishers and the like will have trouble negating the crossbows. Heavy cavalry and worse, monsters, will be harder to deal with.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Yea to be honest my only regular opponent is Tomb Kings in the forseeable future, and yet I will not be playing him for about a year and because I'm moving to an entirely different island to go to Uni, I don't know the gaming scene there if its casual based or whether it is all Tzeentch Daemons and VC spam raise lists.

The sheer driving force is the theme at the moment and yet I think lacking Dark Riders may harm me, or rather some RBT would allow me to get rid of the heavy cav that will break my lines.

Though if i can get the jump on them then I might be able to tear them up with Killing Blow.

Really it does need testing though I refuse to use it until I have suitable models and atm that seems to be an enormous problem mainly with the Witch Elves, there is a lack of topless male elf models and thats just UGH.

I suppose if it was 2250pts some Bolt Throwers or a Hydra and a beef up of some units with extra models would add some much needed chomp to the list.

Zardock (Group 27)

Thanatoz
Noble

Post by Thanatoz »

Me thinks you need to trade one of the crossbowmen for dark riders or 10 man RHB corsair squads, they are very good for baiting, stand and shooting and fleeing, so you can get the pounce. You currently only have one of those, while you have enough hitter.
Zhai
Slave on the Altar

Post by Zhai »

Like the list but I just letting you know that your Death BSB is a total of 275 not 225 because I was a Death Hag with a BSB alot and I with not gifts of Khaine and that is 225 base.

115 for couldron

90 for Death Hag plus 25 for BSB is 110

Just feel like you should know.
"Death it self is far too simply. It is what is done before the moment of death that make it exqusite." - Valikar Ur'Mordain
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Yea sorry Zhai I forgot to edit the list when I added in the gifts of Khaine. I had 45pts to spare and decided to kit her up with some juicy goodness hence being 5 pts over at the moment.

I'll just change that and thanks for the call.

Thanatoz, I also agree that some DR are needed and yet I don't want to sacrifice my shooting for less shooting if you catch my drift.

Zardock (Group 27)

Cal'mihe
Dark Rider

Post by Cal'mihe »

Are you confident in your level of magic protection Zardock ?

Granted, you have Hotek's Massproduced Ornamental Circular Wonder, but is it sufficient in 2k and do you think it can cover your army sufficently well ?
What I mean is, you have a good number of units all posessing good combat ability, so they'll be prime targets for a magic offense, but the RoH can't cover them all.

I like the non-standard size for the witc...Serpent Fanatics and the execu...Slavers, but do you suppose they will be resilient enough to maintain combat effiency ?
If someone sneezes at those two units, and they take more than 2 casualties, then their combat potential will drop dramatically. Granted, you're probably going to screen them with the harpies.

Also, don't your Dread Captain need a sea dragon cloak ? ;)
Lokhir khial
Slave on the Altar

Post by Lokhir khial »

Great list should be good fun to play.
Magic could cause some harm to you so if you could use your fluff about the cult to add a corsair wizard, so you could stand a better chance in the magic phase.
Kaine calls to you, i shall help you to see him.