Battle Report: Shade Deathstar vs. Empire

Post Battle Reports here for bragging rights...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Dark jeebs
Warrior

Battle Report: Shade Deathstar vs. Empire

Post by Dark jeebs »

Map: Open central battlefield with cliffs to both sides and a bit of trees.

Druchii Army:1493
Master-BSB=Banner of Hag Graef, Hvy Armor, GW, SDC,RXB
Master-Guiding Eye, Ring of Hotek, Hvy Armor, GW, SDC,RXB
Master-Ring of Darkness, Hvy Armor, GW, SDC,RXB

5 Dark Riders + Mus.
5 Dark Riders + Mus.

34 Shades w/ GWs Including Bloodshade

Hydra

Empire Army:1500
Battle Wizard-lvl2, (2)DS, Horse
Battle Wizard-lvl2, DS, Horse, Ring of Volans

10 Knightly Order w/ Full CMD, Magic Banner
10 Knightly Order w/full CMD. Magic Banner
10 Handgunners
10 Handgunners

16 Greatswords w/ full CMD
2 Mortars

Helstorm Rocket Battery

Deployment:

I put my Death Star right smack in the center, he countered by placing all his artillary central also. He also played both Knightly orders to my weak side.

Turn 1 Empire::

The Gods Smile upon me! Empire recieves first turn and decides to sit back and pummel me with artillary barrage. All three war machines MISFIRE! They roll well however on the chart except one mortar cannot fire next turn. Is this an omen?

Turn 1 Druchii:

I move my force forward, but keeping my Dark Riders back a bit and out of Handgunner range. A full salvo from the D-Star on his mortar gets just enough hits to kill all three crew! Huzzah!

Turn 2 Empire:

He decides his war machines are a little fickle so he decides to move in with his magic. His first wizard attempts to casts Fiery Blast on my Shades with 3 dice but the Ring of Hotek spells out the caster's fate as he rolls; 666! His miscast reveals that I can cast a spell, but seeing I don't have any casters it is wasted. This time his Helstorm hears the call of 666 and reigns down destruction upon my shade enough to cause a panic test on a unit of 37! And they pass.

Turn 2 Druchii:

The Dark Riders and Hydra press forward crossbows blazing and breath weapons on full burn. Both Handgunners take casualties as the D-Star unleashes it's wrath on the wizard and his Knightly bodyguard, killing him and some knights.

Turn 3 Empire:

In this turn he has decided he's had enough and charges both Orders at the D-Star, I stand and shoot the weaker knights killing enough to cause panic and they flee. the other order slams into the shades but the Banner Gives the unit Strike First with hatred and Great Weapons, killing eight and making them flee. The artillery gets off, but they are over shot.

Turn 3 Druchii:

My hydra charges the Helstorm crew, they fail the terror test and flee off the board. The sky is yet again filled with bolts!

Turn 4 Empire:

Both knights flee off the table, and the last crewman of the mortar fails the proximity terror test and follows. The Handgunners do manage to kill some Dark Riders, which after fail a panic test and run.

Turn 4 Druchii:

THe Dark Riders rout, and the hydra charges the Handgunners who flee in turn. Shooting phase sees 9 Greatswords fall, but they pass their panic test.

Turn 5 Empire:

The gunners rout, and the Greatswords charge my Dark Riders and I flee as a responce.

Turn 5 Druchii:

Feeling the inevitable grasp of death the Handgunners meet the Hydra face to face with bravery, for which they are slaughtered by the beast. Yet another round of firing whittles the Greatswords down to just the champion.

Turn 6 Empire:

The Champion charges my Dark Riders and being a good sport, I let them take the charge...with 2 attacks the champion kills both of the remaining Riders slaying the unit.

Turn 6 Druchii:

Play scene from The Last Samurai....

Thoughts:
I got very luck this game. His artillery back fired on him, and judging by the one Helstorm hit this battle would have been very different if they worked. His magic didn't get one spell off, and his heroic Knightly charge did little more then stir the air. I can see the extreme effectiveness of this tactic even against 1+ armor saves the sheer volume of fire lays waste to them, coupled with the GW attacks leaves little to attempt a charge. If I were to play this game again I would drop the hydra for some harpies and go right for his artillery and mages becuase next time I may not be so fortunate!
Last edited by Dark jeebs on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

Turn 4 Druchii, the DR's shouldn't have lightning bolt at they didn't fire that turn after routing.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

Good Job! I've been eager to see how the Shade Death Star works out and I'm glad to see a battle report on it. Just one note, I don't think your hydra can use his breath weapon when it failed its charge in turn 4.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

I wasn't 100% sure about this either, but I looked up breath weapon rules and it says that a breath weapon could be used on a march, so my opponent let me use the breath weapon as if the creature had marched. But I would like to know if it is stated somewhere that I cannot on a failed charge.
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

The Hydra looks like it does things not supported by the rules.

In turn 4 the Hyrda charges a unit out of the monsters LOS (it does not have 360 LOS) it then fails in its charge and is shown shooting at the greatswords.

I think you got lucky, as you noted if the empire artillery had all hit you on the first turn you would have lost a lot more shades and not had the firepower to stand off the knights when they charged you.

you also got lucky in that they empire player did not take units with the hockland long rifle to snipe your BSB.
Last edited by Kargan daemonclaw on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You got lucky with the misfires... three large templates should make a short work of your death star.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

As for the LOS for the hydra Question. I know the hydra cannot see the unit, however the beastmasters controlling it can. I have fought this one with some people and it is sort of a reality vs. game mechanics thing, but for this battle I was allowed to use the Beastmaster LOS instead of the Hydras as they control where the beast goes!
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

One large template - mortars are small template. It takes some luck to get the Helstorm on target too. Also, mortars are only an even chance of wounding your Shades at S3, the Helstorm is S5. It could have been worse for sure, but they had pretty much no answer to the Hydra. Having said that, I think your idea of using Harpies instead is good.

Also, you say on turn 4 your Riders actually didn't fire after "routing". The word you want is rallying, and they should have fired because they're Fast Cavalry and they can do that.

EDIT : on the Hydra - when charging the Handlers are ignored. This means the model is, from the moment of declaration, no longer a Skirmisher. Frontal LOS only, penalties for difficult terrain, all that jazz.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

eh? mortars are small template since when?
I always remember them being large S3/S6 template.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

On Turn 4 the Dark Riders did not fire their RXBs after rallying because they fled due to a failed panic test not as a response to a charge. 7th edition Rule book specifically cites Feigned Flight as "A unit of fast cavalry that chooses to flee as a charge reaction..." They however did not choose to flee but fled due to failed psychology.

And a mortar is the 5" template, I just double checked the Empire rulebook.
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

Very nice battle report, but previous posters are right, no failed charge then shooting (even breath weapon) and only the hydra's LOS counts for charges.
Shrike
Dark Rider

Post by Shrike »

Beuatiful maps, ugly game. On top of his attrocious luck, it was horrendous to see so many favourable mistakes made towards an already stupidly nasty army. If you're going to take a gimmick army, get its rules right! Hell, a Hydra is underpriced to begin with, if you have it charging 360 and shooting after failing a charge, then that's just ridiculous. And what was with the three dispel scrolls?

Was wondering how you killed the Wizard when you shot at the Knight unit in turn 2? Similarly the other Wizard should have charged in with the Knights, he can't have it stay behind...
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

I would like to see this game played over, with him taking 2 steam tanks and 4 wizards maxed out - with life lore to try to get some howler wind, and 4 mortars.
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

And what was with the three dispel scrolls?

He Didn't know my army list before hand so he had to take what he thought was necessary. In the past I played with very magic heavy tactics so he prepared for this with the scrolls.

Was wondering how you killed the Wizard when you shot at the Knight unit in turn 2?

Mistake

It's been a few years since we last played and just started picking it back up, so we were bound to make mistakes but this way at least you pointed them out so I wont make them again!
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Shrike, isn't that a bit rude? :? Everyone makes mistakes and thinking Hydra has 360-LoS is quite understandable.

About shooting the Wizard, if the unit is small enough, shooting hits can be randomized against characters.

I begin forgetting rules after just a week of pause or so, I can't blame Jeebs for forgetting something that minor after years of no gaming!

Agreed, the map is beautiful. Congrats on the sounding victory :)
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Cisse
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cisse »

Pity to see the Empire losing (the're my first army, DE's second). I think a combination of very bad luck and rules mistakes (don't worry, it happens to everyone) did him in. If he has a bit of luck with his war machines, he can kill half of your deathstar in one turn... And if he had taken crossbowmen instead of handgunners he'd have been able to deal with the DR's better, a tip for him for next time. ;)
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

What did you use to make the batreps?

On topic: Very nice win, nice to see the hydra kicked bum alot :)
Caboose
Warrior

Post by Caboose »

VERY nice battle report!! Well done in your victory Jeebs! I have been curious to see how the Death Star plays out, and overall, not too shabby! ;)

As for the mistakes, dude, don't sweat it. ;) It happens to everyone and honestly, it's the only way you truly learn. haha I too was once in your position....Rather recently in fact. Just started playing again after about 10 years off. lol Been playing for the last year or so. VERY glad I started playing again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. :)

As for replacing the hydra with harpies....I like that idea. It will give you more mobility and perhaps draw some attention away from the Death Star....if they don't, then at least you know the harpies will whomp those crewmen. lol

Overall, VERY well done sir! Keep up the good work! ;)

On a side note...what DID you use for that report?? lol Me likey. :P
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

Well done battle report, I'd like to see one with an army worthy of some respect. Your opponent took a list that would make for a good game, next time you should.

Don't use the deathstar, it's for punks. I'm sure your a better player than that. Shame!
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

Thanks everyone. as for fletch395's question, I used photoshop to make the battle report.
Aimbob
Warrior

Post by Aimbob »

bevel and emboss seems your best friend in photoshop :p

Looks nice though.

As for the battle, I'm not so fond of uberunits but everyone gets to try it! :P

To bad the empire was a bit unlucky.
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

bevel and emboss seems your best friend in photoshop

your forgetting drop shadow :lol: