Heroic Performances

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Heroic Performances

Post by Rabidnid »

Sometimes the dice conspire to make one of your models looks so good its embarrasing.

Yesterday I had a game versus DoC. I made a mess of the first turn move and ended up placing some harpies in charge distance of a beast of nurgle. The problem was my army general, a level 2 sorc on a DS was just behind them and on the table edge.

Naturally the beast charged and the harpies lost, fleeing off the table, and allowing the beast to contact my general.

The beast wiffed his attacks inflicting no wounds and then the sorceress basically biatch slapped him and wounded past the T-5, 5+ ward and 4+ regen for a drawn combat.

Next turn my knights were stupid and couldn't charge to save my delicate sorceress, but the beast wiffed his attacks for the second time and my now favourite sorceress model biatch slapped him again for a wound, drawing the combat.

Naturally the knights were stupid again and the beast manages to actually inflict a wound on my Sorc and she has finally failed to wound. She has lost a combat to a fear causing enemy and so needs a double 1 to stay - not a problem :D - so the combat continues for another turn.

Finally the knights charge and put the Beast out of its misery.

The ultimate indignity was that shec had the focus familiar so she kept casting the whole time she was in combat.

So, what is your epic dice rolling adventure?
"Luck is the residue of design"
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

One game, in the first turn, my bolt thrower was charged by a skink chief who was flying. Anyway, it didnt kill anyone, so I won combat but he passed LD. He then killed one of my guys next, but my guy held. It took the next 6 combat phases for my single crewman to wound the chief, he then ran, next turn my crewman shot him in the back with the bolt thrower :P This is retarded since every turn the chief was throwing out 3 attacks that hit on 4s and wounded on 3s with no armour. Yet my crew won!! I was happy
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

In one of my games against Orcs and Goblins, I had an Orc Warboss charge my 10 man unit of RXBs with my Supreme Sorceress in it. My friend Challenged my sorceress, just because he thought it would be funny to kill her. Unbeknown to him, the sorceress had the nice Pendant on. Combat was 0 wounds on my sorceress, and 1 wound on the Warboss. The warboss fled and ran was ran down.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

One game against O&G, a Warboss on Wyvern charged my knights with the sword that is like a runefang and I failed my fear test so needed 6's to hit. The Wyvern and Rider whiff their attacks and my Knights boosted with the Cauldron's +1A killed the warboss and the Wyvern fled and was ran down by them.

With my VC against Lizzies, an Oldblood on Carnosaur with 9 str 5 attacks plus the Carnosaur charged my 20 strong Skellies with spears and double unit strength banner. Oldblood and Carnosaur only manage 6 wounds in total with one wound on the carnosaur with attacks back. It was a Drawn combat but I had a muso so he lost by one, failed his break test and fled 5 inches, my skellies pursued 6 and butchered it. That muso was the best 4 points i've ever spent...
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Svengaard
Trainee Warrior

Post by Svengaard »

Yesterday a pair of Rhinox Bulls charged my Master (Pendant and Sword of Might) on the second turn. They killed his standard bearer in the first round.
My Master managed to tie him up until the last turn.
77 attacks directed at him and he took out a leadbelcher that tried to help.
Now if only I remembered to make him the BSB. . .
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

My first game with Dark Elves, little 500pt affair, the Noble Arn Khraid, on his horse, with his trusty halberd, wearing Blood Armour, held alone against 10 Swordsmen, a Warrior Priest, a riderless Pegasus and 5 Flagellants through nine rounds of combat, losing all except the last two, killing at least one model in every combat. Unfortunately, the Swordsmen broke in the eighth, so he couldn't capture their banner. At the end, he was the only Dark Elf in the table, but he still won the game. He also had the Lifetaker, with which he rendered said Pegasus riderless, the rider being his opposite number.

Not statistically outrageous by the standards of what others have reported here, but it was fun to watch.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Imperial Knights charging unit of CoKs, due to terrain their alignment wheel clipped Dark Emissary (Albion scenario game, so ooold story).

Knights from both sides failed to do any wounds on anyone.
Emissary with his one attack, hit a knight, wounded a knight and knight failed his 1+ armour save... after which the unit had less US than CoKs and broke from fear :D
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Shadow dark
Noble

Post by Shadow dark »

My dreadknight ends up in a challenge with a Chaos Lord with a Great Weapon. After dodging 4 out of 5 attacks and making a 6+ armour save against the hit, he swings back. He (and his Cold One) hit with every attack, not even needing Hatred. The Chaos Lords Armour of Damnation made me reroll every hit, which all still hit! My bubble was burst when i failed to wound, but the look on my opponents face was priceless. :D
Hi, i'm Shadow Dark. I spend my time teaching dragons the difference between their food and the slaves that bring it in
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

a champion of chaos on juggernaut(spell?) with chaos runesword fights my dreadknight in a challenge: out of his 6 attacks 2 hit, needing 2's to wound, no wounds. then the juggie:3 attack, 3 hits, needing 2's to wound, again no wounds. it was so funny to see!
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Pokatchu
Trainee Warrior

Post by Pokatchu »

in a game i play dwarf VS vamp!
in the first turn, i shoot at the general unit whit a cannon!
he miss the look out sir roll, i woug him and make 3 wound!

game finish right away! even before i finish my 1 st turn!!
Lesmiserables
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lesmiserables »

Dundracon in San Ramon, CA...2008
Top of first turn I fire I my cannon at a dwarf bolt thrower. It shoots long, going clear over the hill into BFE and landing right on Thorek Ironbrow.
1 missed look out sir, 1 missed ward save, a successful roll to wound and then 4 wounds later I had cannon sniped McCheese himself in the top of turn one.
Sirius dragonbrood
Corsair

Post by Sirius dragonbrood »

ages ago, 1 of my first DE battles in 6th ed, a unit of 3 fell bats came up my flank, looking to make a meal of my RBT crew.
they opened up with 6 bolts and destroyed the unit.
Vote 1 Druchii!
Why vote for the lesser evil?
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Most heric moment I have had is my either my small unit of Witch Elves getting charged by an Oldblood on Carnosaur who failed to wound them and they attacked back inflicted three wounds and the Lizard ran off and was chased down.

The other time my last unit on the board, Cold One Knights managed to hold off A charging grail Knight Champion, Realm Knights with Duke, Pegasus Knights and Errant Knights . I passed every armour save and then killed the Grail Knight Champion to show how awesome they were. This back when they were only S3
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Unit of High Elf Spearmen charged in the front and the flank by two units of my Ironguts (6th edition High Elf Rulebook, before all these Always Strikes First shenanigans). The entire unit annihilated... except for 1 lowly spearman (hell, it wasn't even a champion, just a regular spearman).

This 1 heroic spearman holds up my Ironguts for TWO turns in the same place, each time avoiding getting crushed and each time rolling double 1's on his break tests. I eventually broke that single spearman, but not until I rear-charged it with a single Leadbelcher.

Talk about annoyance...
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

War Altar charges Executioners (hmm you feel it coming already?), champion challenges with ASF, hits once, kills of the dear lad with a nice chop through is holy body. Bye.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Bolt thrower gets blown up by a cannonball turn 1 from the empire. The crew proceeds across the board to charge a detachment of 10 rifles while my knights charge his greatsword unit under their, now distracted, protection.
Those two crewmen proceed to not die from stand and shoot, win combat by 1 by causing two wounds, break the detachment, and overrun into the cannon that killed the bolt thrower machine originally in order to later win that combat and destroy the cannon in retaliation.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

My 20 DE spearmen hold a charge against 10 Knights Panther and a flank charge of 20 Men-at-arms. They somehow managed to win the combat by 1 combat res point. Both empire units failed their Ld tests and fled. My spearmen ran down the Knights, and the Men-at-arms eventually fled through a unit of 12 handgunners. The panic test for the handgunners was failed and both units proceeded to flee off the board. It was awesome.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Haf
Dark Rider

Post by Haf »

First battle against a nurgle army:

One unit of RXBW is charged by 3 dogs of khorne. SaS, one is dead. He missed all. I scored Another wound to the dogs. One dog remained. In 2 other phazes i reduced him into 1 last wound. But he broke my last 2 crossbowmen on autobreak.

Battle against wood elves. 2 fast cavalrymen, 4 elves on eagles are going to kill my EXBW unit. I shot down one rider, he came, did 0 wounds, 2 wounds received. Next turn, draw. Next turn, he won by one point (ld9+bsb). Next turn, he came from the flank with second unit of elves on the eagles. DRAW! I scored 4 wounds. Next turn, i passed my test on 6. Next turn, i passed it again. The last combat of my unit-two last guys fled away.

Another rxbw unit in the same battle: got charged from the rear (they were in a linie of 7 models), they hold his elves on eagels for 3 turns.

Second battle against nurgle army. The situation with dogs was there again! But he supported them with 2 furies intho flank, did nothing and one died! The last brave crossbowman was outnumbered by one dog and one furie and fled in panic.

In the same battle, second unit hold two beasts of nurgle! And in second combat turn they finished them off (yeah, he did nothing to my crossbows and i got outnumbering, one rank, two wounds...and his unit disapperead).
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

2 cold one knights left standing against a Keeper of secrets.
They had to make a break test on 3 dice (lowest doesn't count) to not break.
I rolled 1,1,1

A captasus charged a unit warhounds.
he did nothing, I did one wound and broke him.
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
Clivegh
Trainee Warrior

Halflings Kill a Chaos Lord

Post by Clivegh »

LA GT:
6th Edition. Lupin Croops Halflings are behind a wall and are charged by Chaos Knights and a Lord. The Knights and Lord Wiff and only kill one halfling (He needed 6's to Hit with over 18 S5 Attacks). Lumpin does a wound on the Lord. Lord Loses by 1 and is run down by Halfling shooting "Food or Death!".

I and the other player laughed so hard we were crying.
Its all about movement and tactics. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

At a local tournament in Deecember, I had an Executioner Champion personally kill 3 different Dwarf characters -- 2 Thanes and a Runsesmith -- in challenges. Obviously, Killing Blow had a little bit to do with that ;)
Truly These are the End Times ...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Another old story

5 Dark riders charge salamanders, stand and shoot kills 4.
The remaining dark rider (musician!) passes panic test, proceeds to draw a combat, win by being musician.
Runs down the fleeing salamanders, hits a unit of skinks
Beats them by the virtue of having his trumpet and overruns into another unit of salamanders.
Beating those too... <.<

Dark Rider with a vengeance.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Scorpioni
Cold One Knight

Post by Scorpioni »

My most lucky match was in 6th edition.

My beleagered Druchii force of 1000pts is attacked by 2000pts of cowardly asur in a Last Stand Scenario.

He began the first two turns by encircling my army while I start being pushed back into a corner, slowly backing away and biding my time.

Then it happens: 2 of his chariots declare a charge and fail because I flee, while his spearmen fail a charge because my witches are too far away.
My next turn, all hell breaks loose. My COK's charge and destroy a chariot while it flees, my witches utterly kill 16 spearmen in one CC phase, overrunning in a juicy SM unit with a mage. My dark riders + noble charge his dragon princes with lord and manage to hold, my executioners positioned for a charge next turn.

Needless to say I wreaked havoc on the Asur. My executioner champion managed to killing blow the lord, driving the DP away and catching them with my dark riders, the witches took care of the SM unit and mage. In the resulting turn my mage utterly dominates the magic phase without asur mages to worry about and proceed to magic missile the last pieces of resistance into oblivion.

At the end of turn 6 I had managed to wipe an asur force twice my own size while only losing 300 points in total. That day was a good day for the Druchii! :D
Let your blades drink deep, my fellow executioners!
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Lizzies vs bretonia (GT)

after moves no magic in range, my first roll, bolt thrower from stegadon, hits a lance kills 3 knights, failed panic, unit and damsel ran off the table. Sweet.

a turn or two later
10 Skinks get charged by a bretonian lance with BSB, Stand and Shoot, one knight down, hth bunch of skinks die, but another kninght goes down, the skinks failed to brake, next hth, 2 skinks left remain, killing another knight, and failing to brake, my turn 2 skink prists charge the flank of the knights, manage to get bares anger off, twice, killed the BSB, and most of the unit, the knights failed to to any harm, broke and were run down, by the remaining two skinks :lol: .

A different game
lizzies vs Imperium
FSoD, is sitting in a forest and gets charged by rangers wins combat runs them down, my turn, charge a hellbalster, killing the crew and while over running, caches a unit of fleeing hand gunners, a canon ball hits the ground na 1" in front of him, and stops, turn I charge a lone mage, killing him, and overruning into the canon crew, killein them in their turn, to draw the battle.
Also known as Kanadian
Druchiilifestealer
Slave on the Altar

Post by Druchiilifestealer »

OK this is a sad story really, But my very FIRST game playing Ogre Kingdoms was my most "Holy smurf, how did that happen?" moment. After having advance my entire army across the board against a Dwarf army, I decided, oh what the heck, I'll shoot the large group of 25 Iron Breakers with my Leadbelchers. Every single Ironbreaker fell in the barrage as I rolled all 5 10's on the artillery dice and not a single to wound roll below 5, and he rolled all 1's to save. I went on to draw that game. I've never played without my LB's ever again...... nor have I ever drawn again, my ogres went 8-1-8 before I switched over to Skaven and now the Druchii.