Tactica Crystal

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Tactica Crystal

Post by Ehakir »

The crystal of midnight. Is it as bad as it might seem?

I think it complements our magic defense aresenal quite good. Very useful against Daemons and Vampire Counts in special, two armies I have the most difficulties with to win against.

Some statistics:
Vampire Counts
You can use the crystal on two targets; the lord and a necromancer. A normal vampire usually has the worst spells and will not have any power stones. The other two choices will.
Ld 10 means that the Vampire Lord will have exactly 50% chance of failing the LD test on 3D6. Only use the crystal on this one if he has a limited number of spells, which are all annoying (like a vampire with ivocation, raise dead, vanhels, and some other spell)
The mediocre leadership of 7 of the necromancer means that he will fail the test in 83.8% of the cases. As the necromancer has to buy his spells, and as he will have a max of 3 spells, invocation, raise dead and vanhels, he is a nice target for your crystal.

Daemons
This army has a prime target for your crystal: the unit of 10 horrors, that manage to get their spell casted everytime they attempt to cast it! With LD 7 again, these guys have 83.8% chance to stop being wizards.

The crystal can be useful against other heavy magic armies as well, but IMO less effective than vs VC or Daemons. Just imagine a VC lord that cannot heal his units anymore! Combine it in a team battle with the DOC slaanesh spell Phantasmagoria, and you will be really sure that the enemy will fail the test :)
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Valvet
Shade

Post by Valvet »

I sometimes used the crystal during the last edition mostly against Skaven. It is a very effective way to stop those really annoying warlocks, since they only have one spell. But besides from the two other races you mentioned, i can't think of any other casters that would be bothered to much, or where it would not be a gamble to get that all important spell, or just some minor one.
Emperorpenguin
Cold One Knight

Post by Emperorpenguin »

Like Valvet I used it under the old book versus Skaven. It could be dispelled back then.

So other than those 3 races it's fairly marginal it seems
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

It's pooh. They lose one random spell but keep their magic level and so their dice.

For the points you would be better off with another scroll or the seal IMO.
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

The only use I ever thought for it, I don't think even works. Skaven Warlock Engineers have exactly 1 spell each, and its very painful. With a leadership of 5, its pretty much a sure thing that they will fail their test. Getting rid of 1 engineer is worth it, though I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that this isn't allowed, as their spell comes from equipment.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

It's one of those items that can be game winning (magic heavy army losing a crucial spell). Or completely worthless (mage making his Ld test).

Use at your own risk.

At least it got improved from the previous edition version in that you use all 3 dice for the Ld test (old one discarded the lowest of the 3) and it's not a bound spell anymore.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Greg
Cold One Knight

Post by Greg »

potentially a game breaker if a lizzie player brings lord kroak.
He has only one spell!
Faulkynn grom
Corsair

Post by Faulkynn grom »

How would you guys resolve the 3D6 Ld test vs. the Lizzie's cold blooded rule? Regular 3D6 add 'em all up, 3D6 take the two lowest, or 4D6 take the three lowest? This Item could be amazing versus Lord Croak, who only knows one spell and costs 600pts. Thoughts?
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

the rules for the item tell you exactly how: you must roll equal to or under you leadership on three dice to ignore the effects.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The lizardmen roll an extra dice and discard the highest.

So when you use the Crystal it becomes 4d6 and discard the highest.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Imagine this with the effect of phantasmagoria; lizzies roll 5 dice, and discard the highest and lowest :P
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Haplo
Highborn

Post by Haplo »

The potential is there, but I would properly prefer my opponent to use a scroll on it than actually getting it through. Could help to put on some extra pressure and it isn't a talisman or an arcane item so thats an advantage!
@1elbow
Warrior

Post by @1elbow »

What is the wording for Cold-Blooded in the new Lizardmen book? I ask because the wording on CoM says they must pass the Ld test on 3d6 and I wonder how our own Banner of Cold-Blood would affect the Ld test along with the Liz's special rule.

At least in the banner's case there seems to be a conflict between the item saying the Ld test must be on three dice and the banner saying the Ld test is taken on three dice, discarding the worst role, as opposed to just getting an extra dice.

I think Dalamar's one is the most fair, but I can see multiple possible interpretations and wonder if I am thinking too hard or maybe an official ruling will have to come down.
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

If i were to use the crystal against some necromancers, I am sure this is circumstancial, but is it worth waiting till the necro is out of 12 inches from the lord so that you can hit him with better odds? So that he isn't using the Ld 10 that he would otherwise get. Depends really on what spells he has to pull out on you.

Edit: I have decided to take the rather costly chance and taking this against my friends VC tomorrow. in what essentially a fast but no magic, so RoH and Crystal of Midnight are about all i have. Anyway, i am thinking of what to aim for, and i really think it will depend on what he brings and how many casters other than the lord are around. Also a key is obviously to hit casters with spells that are going to cause the most distress. Everyone is going to have at least Invocation of Nehek. But after that, I think my biggest worries are danse macabre and gaze as they are cast on lower numbers of dice, hopefully those higher ones will get Hotekked more often than not. But the idea of targeting someone with wind of undeath seems useful.

Any good suggestions in your own realm of experience?!