Giants

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Dark desire
Slave on the Altar

Giants

Post by Dark desire »

Hello, does anyone have any comment/experience using the DoW giant in a Dark Elves army?

Im looking at including one first purely for modelling reasons, you know chains and a collar. Maybe even a beastmaster on the base pulling the stings. Simply an enslaved giant.

What could a Giant accomplish in an Dark Elves army that something else couldnt? How best to use him in game? Or should i simply ditch the idea and go for another hydra instead?
"These moonless, foreign skies keep me in thrall. Dark whispers echo in the night, and I cannot resist."
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

It could die and fall over on your troops :lol: :lol:

With the Hydra and RBTs in the rare slots already, unless you are doing it purely for modelling or a laugh I fail to see what it will bring of any major benefit.

I'm not saying don't do it, because eventually I will model one of my own as a painting project. Just be sure of why...
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

It's too random to be completely effective (as an Ogre player I use Slavegiants on occasion, and they're basically the same thing with a few slight tweaks). They are useful as an anti-monster monster, and if you're lucky can do lots of hilarious stuff (when your giant picks up the enemy general and stuffs him in his pants, there is hilarity to no end)!

On the downside, they have absolutely no armor and only T5, making them very expensive missile magnets that have a hard time making it into combat. Just make sure that you don't leave any of your troops in the immediate area around the giant, because they fall over when they die. They can end up landing on one of your own units!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

They used to be good in previous edition since they were cheaper than the hydra and could hold up units with their stubborn while slowly munching them down.

Right now if you want an effective monster Hydra is in all respects a better choice.

If you want one for modelling purposes, then go ahead. Giants are fun :D
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Svennh
Warrior

Post by Svennh »

I would only use them for a friendly battle. For competition , I'll trade him for a hydra anytime.
ImageImage
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Well, he could have a big caldron in his arms and naked witches hanging off him :)

As a combat unit he is kinda worthless compared to a hydra.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Geoguswrek
Highborn

Post by Geoguswrek »

The giant used to be a good tarpit that killed things. now the BG are better at that. and the hydra is better for everything else.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

I agree with everyone. My giant is used exclusively in my all goblin list that was pretty much just designed to amuse me and my opponents.

Essentially, if you don't really care about winning and just want to see one of the members of your army do random things, while you and your opponent laugh uproariously, then take the giant. If you want a competitive list, take another hydra or 2 RBTs. Of course, you could always get lucky, if the giant stuffs an uber combat character in his pants or rolls yell and bawl, and runs down a tooled up unit of longbeards. ;)
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Well, when fighting a ST, the Giant surely has the advantage over the hydra...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

of being ground to dust much faster?

Sure, it can roll 2d6 wounds with no AS... but it's random, and tank will just kill it... not to mention that against good player the giant will never reach its target.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Friends, sorry for the question, but:
How do you include a giant? Where do you get the stats for a giant? I thought only certain races could have them and that we, the DE couldn't.

Thanks for any insight,
Rafa.
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

The answer is right there, RafaPolit :)
Dark Desire wrote:Hello, does anyone have any comment/experience using the DoW giant in a Dark Elves army?
Got it? ;)

The stats can be found in WD number..... X and O&G armybook. I have used it once or twice (with the old DE book) and it was good for laughs but even back then, Ironguts were superior choice.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

Thanks Zakath, but the Dogs of War section, listed on other races, is not present within the 7th ed. DE Army Book, can DE use Dogs of War? The manual has no entry either from Dogs of War.

Thanks once more,
Rafa.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

RafaPolit wrote:Thanks Zakath, but the Dogs of War section, listed on other races, is not present within the 7th ed. DE Army Book, can DE use Dogs of War? The manual has no entry either from Dogs of War.

Thanks once more,
Rafa.

I am pretty sure that none of the 7th ed books have dogs of war as entry. The rules for the dogs of war state by whom the unit can be used, not the army book.

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.