Terrible rolling odds

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mark of stark
Warrior

Terrible rolling odds

Post by Mark of stark »

Well, I just had a game against my friends O&G army. I won, but there was one turn where my jaw was on the floor from rolls I never figured would happen.

The first one was when a fanatic hit my unkillible dreadlord (1+ armor save, regen, PoK) so thats s5 ap. He got two hits so thats AS 4+, failed both, PoK anything but a 6, rolled double sixes, regen 4+ failed both took 2 wounds.

On my turn a line of ten crossbows fired into 3 snotlings, 4+ to hit, just multishot took effect, 20 shots at 4+, 3 hits, 2 wounds.

Not the absolute worst rolls of all time, but I doubt I will see the like in along time.

The game before, my ogre playing friend played my O&G friend last week, turn 2 the lord on a wryven landed next to his ogre tyrant unit with 5 bulls or ironguts and a bucher in it. Fails his ld 9 terror test and failed to rally the next 3 rounds, so 4 ld 9 tests failed until he ran off the board.

Pretty much stands as an example to destroy theories in odds.
"Winter is coming....."

Dark Elf Scorecard
W-D-L
15-2-1
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Mark of Stark wrote:The game before, my ogre playing friend played my O&G friend last week, turn 2 the lord on a wryven landed next to his ogre tyrant unit with 5 bulls or ironguts and a bucher in it. Fails his ld 9 terror test and failed to rally the next 3 rounds, so 4 ld 9 tests failed until he ran off the board.

That's actually impossible, because Terror only counts as fear when used against units that already cause fear. So in this case the Tyrant didn't need to take a Terror test, and would have only tested for fear if the Wyvern had charged the Tyrant or his unit.

I've never had something like that happen to me, but I was witness to a "WTF" moment like that just yesterday, that made everybody's jaw drop.

My Empire friend (who finally made the shooty army of death I was supposed to go against a few weeks back) tested it against a Wood Elf army with a Dragon. The Dragonrider took that item that gives a 3+ ward save until you fail a save.

Dragon moves up, and the entire available Empire gunline fires at the big target. This is about 40 Handgunners, 5 Outriders, and 2 cannons, as well as 5 Hochland Long Rifles and 3 Engineers, one with Pigeon Bombs.

Almost every single shot missed, and the 2 (yes, two shots) that actually wounded were stopped by the ward. Everything seemed lost until the last cannon's turn to fire came up. Now here's the amazing part that even now makes me curious.

Cannon fires, gets exactly enough distance to land in the middle of the Dragon's base, and the bounce is a dud (basically cannonball hit the Dragon directly). The to-wound roll is a 4, and the Dragon takes the hit as per randomization. Dragon rolls the ward save (since apparently that ward works on both Rider and Dragon), and rolls a 1, failing it. The Cannons rolls to see how many wounds are done... and rolls a 6.

Our entire group was crowded around the table at this point, and the air so tense then when the dice were being rolled that the lack of noise would smother you. Let me just say the roar afterward when the Dragon died shook the whole building.

Ever make you wonder how things like that end up happening?
Mark of stark
Warrior

Post by Mark of stark »

Desert Icon wrote:That's actually impossible, because Terror only counts as fear when used against units that already cause fear. So in this case the Tyrant didn't need to take a Terror test, and would have only tested for fear if the Wyvern had charged the Tyrant or his unit.

Yeah I forgot about that, and to be honest I wasn't paying alot of attention what scared the tyrant off, I was reading the ogre book at the time, but I do remember my friends anquished cries and repeated for a day afterward of "4 failed ld 9 rolls"

Maybe its karma and my friend and I robbed orphanages in a previous life and now its affecting out warhammer games.
"Winter is coming....."

Dark Elf Scorecard
W-D-L
15-2-1
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Mark of Stark wrote:Maybe its karma and my friend and I robbed orphanages in a previous life and now its affecting out warhammer games.

Given your Ogre and Druchii, maybe you donated to an ophanage in a previous life :)

Worst I have seen was a Chaos undvided lord (Ld 10 with a re-roll) in a 40K tournament a few years ago. He failed 3 consecutive turns in a row and flee off the board.

6 failed Ld 10 rolls - I hate to think what he did in a previous life!
"Luck is the residue of design"
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Could anything that a Chaos Lord did in a previous life conceivably be worse than his present life?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Nurik0
Trainee Warrior

Post by Nurik0 »

Every game I play is like reading binary code.
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

yer that is some prettyterrible rolling but i think i might just beat it. my imperial guard were versing grey knights and 5 guardsmen came under fire from a dreadnaught with an assault cannon. 4 shots all missed on a 3+ on the first turn. then second turn all hit and they all failed there 2+ to wound.
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Rafapolit
Cold One Knight

Post by Rafapolit »

I have been amused reading this thread. I have said before that we come from a Dungeons and Dragons background (all of our local community!) where high rolls are always good (with very, very few exceptions) and low rolls are always bad. So every 20 (we used D20s) is a great thing and every 1 is a catastrophe!

So we immediately get exited upon landing a 6 on a D6, but the other day I cast Black Horror on a unit of about 20 goblins, hitting about 18! My opponent threw the dices... one single hit!!!! To see about 7 1s, 5 2s and 5 3s chilled him (in our previous game this would have been a major catastrophe!) then he saw what just happened: 50% chances on 18 shots and he rolled one 4! That was ridiculous! (we forgot I needed to land 4s to hit half-touched models, so every unit touched rolled a ST test, so perhaps that was it! :))

He payed though, next game he threw animosity and got 1s on every unit! Including a unit with that hero that upon 1s hit his own unit to roll 6 hits, then threw double 6s on a panic or break test thrice! It was ridiculous! :)

Rafa.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You don't need to roll 4s with Black Horror, every model touched is automatically hit ;) so you did that right.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

My son was playing my borrowed DE against my Empire.
He cast a spell at my Steam Tank.
Irresistible force.
The spell made 1D6 wounds. Rolled D6 = 6, of course.
Result: 6 6 6 6 5 5 :shock: , needing 6 to wound, no armour save :cry: .
There he rushed to get his cell phone and took a picture with it. One year later, the picture is still on the back screen.
My Stank became useless for the rest of the battle and was finished off hopelessly.
That was back with the previous edition DE, and I ended the battle with a single engineer remaining along with my eyes to cry...
(all the details above provided by my son - I have a tendency to forget about these unimportant details...)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Rob the dark elf
Executioner

Post by Rob the dark elf »

When I had just started playing I took a chariot against a Dwarf player. First Dwarf shooting phase he targeted the chariot with his cannon, hit it dead on - rolled a 1 to wound.
Second shooting phase, the exact same thing happened - I like to think that my cold ones caught the cannon balls in mid air and kept on running. It was awesome.
Mat-jillam
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mat-jillam »

In my last game against HE, he brought a star dragon.

In the LAST turn, the dragon had 1 wound left. I had no RBT or magic to kill it with and as you can imagine, I REALLY wanted to kill that beast giving me so many points :) (It had captured 1 of my banners too)

So no shooting or magic to kill it off. But, I had 2 harpies left barely within charging range. I think: "What the hell, it's worth a shot" and charged.

The harpies could just reach the dragon. The lord on top had ASF, so he dished out 4 attacks against my 2 puny harpies. 4 rolls on 3+, 1 hit. He rolls to wound and kills 1 harpy.

So, my harpy strikes back with furious temper. rolling 2 dice to hit and hits with 1 of them. As I hopes for, I rolled to hit the dragon (lord had all wounds). with str. 3 vs. T a lot, I HAD to roll a 6. Dice rolling..... a 6!!!!

Now, he was rolling his 3+ scaly skin save. You should see the look in his eyes! 2 freaking harpies worth 22 points had a big chance taking out like 400 points of. Unfortunately, he rolls a 5 and saves his big dragon. the dragon of course kills the last harpy and game end with a draw.

But up untill then, it was so fun!
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I was playing against daemons one time with my old cult. Cast the magic missile scoring an impressive 6 hits against some plaguebearers.

We were both impressed by the following six ones I rolled...

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

I had a pretty rough time while playing against Skaven few days back.

First round he managed to zapp my poor dragon to death with his 2D6 S5 with roll of 5 and 6 total of 11 St5 attacks... Dragon gone.
Later in that game my CoK failed the stupidity test and then got charged by a unit of slaves (SLAVES!!), who passed the LD test for fear with his mighty Skaven LD of 5 with all the ranks he had... Woo game winning LD5... Any who, he managed to wound with all 5 slaves, and I then had a yatzy (game of dice, you roll 5 dices and based of the number you get, you score. 5 of the same kind is called Yatzy, granting one of the highest scores, also the hardest to get) of 1s trying to save my 2+ armor save. A unit of 20 slaves killed a unit of 5 cold one knights with full command, ring of hotek and a null talisman on champion. Pretty pricy unit indeed. 215 points killed by 40 points. Then his slaves over ran since he charged and destroyed on the same turn, bumped into my executioner unit with assassin who killed 2, but these stinking little saves managed to kill 3 of my executioners, won the combat by 1 thansk to out manouvering, ranks etc even though my remaining 2 exects killed one rat each... I failed the breat test, fled, he cought up - 12 execs with assassin.

This game was lost. There was little I could do after such humiliation.

1 Skaven slave is at 2pts each, ws2, st3, t3, only equiped with hand weapon, no armor what so ever...

At least your lord survived with 1 wound intact...
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Kheel wrote:A unit of 20 slaves killed a unit of 5 cold one knights with full command, ring of hotek and a null talisman on champion.

Illegal combination, the Unit Champion can't have Ring of Hotek and a Null Talisman for 2 reasons:

1. You can't take two Talisman choices on the same character. Check the BRB and the new Dark Elf FAQ on the GW website, it's against the rules.

2. Having the Ring of Hotek AND a Null Talisman is 40 points, which is 15 points more than the unit Champion can carry (he can only carry 25 points worth of magic items, which is clearly stated in his command option entry).
Kheel
Noble

Post by Kheel »

Desert Icon wrote:
Kheel wrote:A unit of 20 slaves killed a unit of 5 cold one knights with full command, ring of hotek and a null talisman on champion.

Illegal combination, the Unit Champion can't have Ring of Hotek and a Null Talisman for 2 reasons:

1. You can't take two Talisman choices on the same character. Check the BRB and the new Dark Elf FAQ on the GW website, it's against the rules.

2. Having the Ring of Hotek AND a Null Talisman is 40 points, which is 15 points more than the unit Champion can carry (he can only carry 25 points worth of magic items, which is clearly stated in his command option entry).

I know, we used house rules for champions. They could take any magic item combination, like two armors if they were not the same pieces, for example a magic helmet and shield, or magic armor and gloves. (If the item description said what the item was. Talismans are like necklaces or arm braces or just pieces of jewelry, so there was no problem to take any number of these)
The champions point limit was set to the units total amount possible for banner AND magic item for the champion. Either use all points for banner or use all points for champion. If want both banner and magic item on champion, then stick with GW rules of point limitation.

Why we do this sometimes is because we both want magic items on some champions, like I want to kit out my Exec champion with a better armor, like armor of darkness, but if I do, the unit can't have a magic banner.

This is illegal, but for friendly games, I can't see why its not ok to have some fun to bend the rules of kitting slightly.
Should have mentioned this in the original post, but the thing was how his slaves chewed through two of my most pricy units, not how I kitted out my Cold One Knights.
//Kheel

Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.
Innocent greed
Trainee Warrior

Post by Innocent greed »

I had a nice time yesterday playing Vamps:

My Dreadlord with Executioners Axe and bis ASF Black Guard charged a block of Skeletons with the Vamp Lord,...
his Champion challenged, mine accepted and so my little Lord wanted to chop some head (with +1 Attack from the nearby Cauldron):

so 5 hating Attacks on re-rollable 4+ making 3 hits :(
then wounding with S10 on 2+ for 1 wound :cry:
nevermind i thought until i rolled a 1 on the d3 wounds roll !cry!
(his Vamp Lord just had the Carstein Ring, so no saves there but just 1 wound lost)

That was pretty bad, but my Lord did better the next cc phase and took like 7 wounds...
Then he made his 2+ Save and his general appeared on the other end of the board only to get charged by my Deathpiercer-wielding Master to be taken out for ever :D
Ebonyphoenix
Noble

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

I have a friend that has determined that my hydra must die turn 1 at all costs. He plays wood elves with 2 treemen on a regular basis. He dropped the hydra to 1 wound by turn 3 with a hail of doom, charged it with a treeman to the front and failed to either win combat or kill the hydra.
His next turn he rear charged the same hydra with his other treeman, failed to get a wound through regen with both treemen despite getting 6 wounds that round. The hydra then decided enough was enough, did 4 wounds, and broke both treemen on a stubborn 8 with a BSB reroll. That hydra then proceeded to eat 2/3 of his army including two lv2s and the BSB.
Now, that could happen as a fluke. The problem is that same hydra keeps destroying treemen every game once it has dropped to 1 wound.
175pt hydra > 250+ pts treeman?
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

Twice in the same game I cast doombolt against a TK hierophant with irresistable force both times I rolled one hit and a 1 on my to-wound roll. As if that wasn't enough the same guy and I played again 3 weeks later, and wouldn't you know it I cast doombolt twice again that game with irresistable force both times. Take a guess who the target was both times. Naturally it was the invincible hierophant where I proceeded to roll ones for both to-hit rolls. And of course my to-wound rolls both came up as 1s and he remained unscathed yet again. Later on however in this second game I was somehow able to shoot at the lone hierophant with 6 Shades, 2 RBTs and a unit of 10 Rxbs. Of course I actually scratched him that time causing a whopping 1 wound. I swore I thought that model could never die (til I massacred him in the Ard'Boyz Tourney with a list that included both Malekith and Morathi) :twisted: .
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

A unit of 5 Dark Riders dealing the 4 last wounds with their RxB in the same turn. I never thought I would be able to roll 4 6s and kill the Giant, all I wanted to to was harrass my opponent's Giant, which was a success while it was alive, my opponent kept trying to face my Dark Riders to be able to charge them but I kept turning around the Giant ;)
And the server wrote:Internal Server Error
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

On Calisson's advice... my lastest 2 crappy consecutive experiences; http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=61632
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

My Corpse Cart was being charged in its rear by a wood elf dragon who rolled just normally. I did not however. At the end of the combat the Corpse Cart was still standing with one wound left after a huge lot of passed regeneration saves...
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Malevion
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Malevion »

The game I played yesterday had some pretty awesome rolls for me both in the good and bad sense of the word

My high sorceress got three irresitable forces in a row and each of those spells did pretty much the maximum damge it could do.

To make up for that good luck though, I couldn't pass a break or panic test to save my life and most of these tests were taken on leadership 8 or 9. My sorceress was the victim of one of these failed tests and run down by 3 horrors.

My hydra is also legendarily useless. In every single game it seems to fluff its attacks, fail its regen saves, fail its break tests (because it failed its to wound rolls) Gah I think I'm going back to having four bolt throwers
He is a pimp and pimps don't commit suicide.

Dead men don't strike first
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

The worst show of my Steam Tank happend last WE: reduced to 3 wounds at the end of turn 1 :shock:
I was playing my Empire against his Bretonnians.
I start. Generate 4 steam points. Spend 2 to move 6". Shoot the cannon which misfires, and self inflict 2 wounds.
In Bret's turn 1, the trebuchet cannot aim at my STank because of a wood hiding it. However, 6" deviation later, the center hole of the template hits directly the STank, which did not pay attention to this threat coming from the top and took 5 more wounds. Ouch!

Same game, next turn, I'm happy to get the charge on his large knights unit with my 10 knights with BSB and Grand Master. Guess what? I loose...

In that game, I shot 8 times with cannons in two turns: 5 misfires...

Sometimes, you better remain in bed.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

Nurik0 wrote:Every game I play is like reading binary code.
You can roll zeroes? 0_0
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.