Corsairs... unit size

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Leviathan smiles
Slave on the Altar

Corsairs... unit size

Post by Leviathan smiles »

Ok, the campaign I am involved in is a fairly brutal free for all cheesefest, but I can't shake myself from wanting a corsair theme.

Is 7X2 or 6x3 a better configuration (for ahw corsairs)?
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

By going wider but with less ranks you trade in 1 staticc combat res for a chance at more kills. The chance of 1 extra corsair killing one model is not high let alone 2.

You are better off with 20 models in a 5 by 4 frontage or using 10 in a single rank as a screen for more elite units.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Depends on the foe and on the banner.
On soft targets, 7x2 are better, especially with a banner such as SSS or AP.
On hard targets, 5 frontage is best, especially with the war banner.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Calisson wrote:Depends on the foe and on the banner.
On soft targets, 7x2 are better, especially with a banner such as SSS or AP.
On hard targets, 5 frontage is best, especially with the war banner.

Take it from the master ;)
Lidlesspraetor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Lidlesspraetor »

I'd say go 6X3, mainly because it's a good mix of the two options. You still get a little CR while still maintaining more attacks.

The only other thing I can say is: reform. If you anticipate, at the beginning, to send your corsairs against lightly armored troops, then go wide. If later on, you think you might be charge in the face by heaviers units, reform down. There are alot of times where there isn't anyone in their charge arc after a combat, so I generally end up having to reform anyway just to face the direction I need them to. I mean, I gues I could just pivot, but I'd be willing to sacrifice acouple of inches if I really thought that the rank bonuses were going to be important.
Valvet
Shade

Post by Valvet »

My vote goes to a unit of 15, with musician and SSS or AP banner.

Why 15? The reason is simple, as said before the question wether to go with big front or more ranks depends on what you are facing. So a unit of 15 has the option to go with 2x7 having one spare, but can also be deployed as 3x15 adding the rank bonus.

Obviously 15 is a tight calculation, as it doesn't allow for many losses to shooting, but i tend to run very short on points and this size fit's just what i need without taking up points that can be used somewhere else. On top of that, my opponents usually don't even bother shooting at them, as they are better protected and don't panic with the frenzy banner.

One thing i forgot to mention, i usually start with deploying them with a wide front, with the good protection against shooting they serve as a good screen for my execs, which usually move right behind them. If the opponent they face is a hard nut and needs my execs to charge, i simply rearrange the corsairs formation and make way for the execs.
Has worked well for me.
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

I always like running my corsair themed lists MSU style with a bunch of small units of 10 with a frontage of 5. If they need more hitting power I just add assassins. In my opinion, It just sems more fluffy to have a bunch of small bands of roving pirates instead of having them all congregate in one unit, and it doesen't seem to sacrifice your tactical abilities as long as you adhere to the tried and true rules of MSU.
Stonecutter
Noble

Post by Stonecutter »

As one of the influencing factors is that the campaign is a cheese fest, then I think you should take this into account. While corsairs are good, other druuchi units exist that perform better for the same points in such an environment. All is not lost however as devious use of corsairs will allow you to not only keep your corsair theme but to use them to surprising effect against your opponents. The easiest way to accomplish this is to assign a corsair "detachment" to each hard striking unit in your army (CoKs, hydra, FC spear unit for soft targets, etc.). Keeping them down to units of 10 with musician, you can move them to threaten the flank of an opponent while your opponent remains focussed on the "real" threat. A combined charge will usually start you with +1 or better combat resolution as your opponent's ranks will be negated and you will have a flank. Since the 10 corsair attacks are from a flank, the armour save doesn't get HW+shield bonus, the corsairs will contact at most one character and they only have to deal with 4 models in contact as fight in ranks won't apply. Your hard striking unit will give you the wounds to win combat (or static resolution bonuses) and that is where the corsairs really show their value - during the pursuit!! Forcing your opponent to re-roll the highest flee die will vastly increase the chance of destoying the unit through pursuit and bringing those slaves home!!!
Dark jeebs
Warrior

Post by Dark jeebs »

My point may be moot, but I say maximize the frontage of those 2 handers! Screw SCR we are DE lets get that hatred running!
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

I'd go 2 units of 5*2 rather than one unit of 18 with command. Most units in the game, corsairs can't beat one-on-one. s3 and 5+ armour just won't do it, sorry. Better to use corsairs as support troops for other units (that's where their special rule really pays off). In this instance quantity is better than quality.

More units of flankers with musicians and no other command. That way, you can remove ranks in existing combats or shield valuable units with them or even sacrifice them as neccessary without shedding a tear from a single bad cc result seeing 200+ pts get run down by 160pts of ghouls or chaos warriors or saurus or some other core unit...
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I ran 14 today with full CMD and SSS... they ripped through unit of gnoblars (not hard), ogre bulls (a bit harder) and Ironguts with Tyrant (now that's something) without breaking a sweat...

Ok, so I had an assassin in there who slaughtered the ogres so what?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

Dalamar i have done that as well. manbane rune of khiane and the assassin is frenzied. Callison has it ont he head adapt to the situation like all DE's do.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
Leviathan smiles
Slave on the Altar

Post by Leviathan smiles »

I think I like the sound of the 5*2 option, using the corsairs as flanking support.