CoB + RHB Corsairs

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

CoB + RHB Corsairs

Post by Smiler6310 »

I've been toying with this idea for awhile and would like others opinions on it-if this has been covered before I apologise but I searched and couldn't find anything.

The idea includes the following;

Master, AHW, Pearl of Infinite Bleakness, AoD, 2 RHB
CoB
14 Corsairs, RHB's, FC, BoM, 2 RHB's on Reaver-deployed in one rank of 10 and 2nd rank of 5. Master deployed in here.
6 Harpies

Ok here goes:

1) Harpies screen the corsairs while the enemy advance into range then fly off
2) Corsairs move into RHB range and fire 24AP shots.
3) CoB gives Corsairs ward save
4) Surviving enemy charge Corsairs
5) Stand and shoot gives another 24AP shots
6) Surviving enemy (if any) should do minimal damage due to armour and ward saves
7) Reform unit into 7x2ranks
8) CoB gives +attack to Corsairs
9) 15 AP attacks should finish off the enemy

I think it would work out well and is a different use of our RHB corsairs. If the enemy does not charge then the Corsairs keep firing into the enemy or go for a flank charge where possible.

The remainder of the force consists of COK's and a Hydra so the CoB is not just there for the Corsairs benefit.

So is this a good idea?

Edit: Why does the number eight give the smiley with sunglasses? :D
Death on Wings!
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

I think it is a brillient plan, but as they say "Battle plans never survive contact with the enemy" i doubt many enemys will fall that easily into your trap, but if they do their gone for :D
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

About a large RHB unit, it has been tried:
see => Corsair Handbows

No definitive conclusions have been reached.

1 ) Harpies screen the corsairs while the enemy advance into range then fly off
=> not needed. Corsairs are resistant to shooting and magic missiles. Why would you need a screen?
2 ) Corsairs move into RHB range and fire 24AP shots.
=> remember, thay cannot double-move and shoot. Effective range is 5+8". An advantage over charging is that you need no LOS before moving!
3 ) CoB gives Corsairs ward save
4 ) Surviving enemy charge Corsairs
5 ) Stand and shoot gives another 24AP shots
=> all corsairs can shoot if charged by a large target. Only the front ones can shoot if the target is normal-sized.
6 ) Surviving enemy (if any) should do minimal damage due to armour and ward saves
=> armour is 5+, not great. COB is nice, but would it not be better used elsewhere?
7 ) Reform unit into 7x2ranks
=> I'm afraid not: BRB p.46: reform in melee:
- only if you win the combat and the enemy did not flee
- only if it increases the number of models in the front row.

8 ) CoB gives +attack to Corsairs
9 ) 15 AP attacks should finish off the enemy

As long as the COB is not dedicated to the corsairs, it is nice to remember that it can be used.

I understand that the unit's second rank is there mostly to provide bodies and, if lucky, +1SCR. Not sure if it is worth going above the minimal 10.

For the smiley, it comes from the original smiley coding:
: ) represents two eyes above a smile, ; ) represents one blinking eye, : D represents very happy, : ( is sad and so on.
Modern software detect that and create emoticons instead.
If you don't want a smiley, don't use the smiley codes!
or disable smilies in the post, by ticking the box below where you're writing.
Or select the appropriate part and click the "code" box above.

In my examples, I inserted spaces, otherwise : D : ) : ( : o : ? 8 ) : x : P ; ) would read: :D :) :( :o :? 8) :x :P ;)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

oscar1492-Thankyou and your 100% right, plans never last!

Calisson-Many thanks for the in-depth analysis sorry for the mistakes, I'm still very new to this and havn't got it all worked out yet! Also thanks for the smiley explanation :D
Death on Wings!
Svengaard
Trainee Warrior

Post by Svengaard »

Repeater Handbows don't get AP I'm afraid.
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

They do with the Banner of Murder :D
Death on Wings!
Svengaard
Trainee Warrior

Post by Svengaard »

Oh, I missed that. Sorry
Stupid, dirty glasses. . .
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Corsairs are S-3, so even with the AP-banner, not good against everything.

15 RHB corsairs with the frenzy banner would be 185 or so. 10 in the front rank and 5 in the back rank would give 14 melee attacks due to the frenzy and 20 shots or stand and shoot reaction with no need for the CoB. Interesting versus someone like HE, but not a blanket solution by any means.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Kbolster12345
Warrior

Post by Kbolster12345 »

I like the idea and it's thinking outside the box but it's unpracitical. It really requires so much to come together and work like a swiss watch that I am afraid that if one "gear" gets out of whack the other pieces won't work well on their own.
Is there a way to make this unit a force onto it's own without a CoB?
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

kbolster12345-Thankyou, you are right it may indeed be a one trick pony....however, if an opponant chooses to avoid the unit you can position yourself for a flank charge and take advantage of the slavers rule. Also if avoidance does occur you are then potentially protecting your General (in my army anyway :D) and denying VP to your opponant.

I do think Rabidnid has got a strong solution by swapping the BoM for the SSS. You wouldn't need the Master with the Pearl but you would becomed frenzied. Also the CoB would add killing Blow which as many have mentioned in other posts combined with this SSS Corsairs becomes a nasty combination :twisted: Even with no CoB it works wonders!
Death on Wings!
Oscar1492
Dark Rider

Post by Oscar1492 »

I'm curious if you have ever tried this? If not please do and tell us the results because i like this tactic and wouldnt mind employing it for my army, if you dont mind smiler6310 :D
If you ever need anything, please dont hesitate to ask someone else first.

Khel wrote: I mean come on. He had WS9 and they gave him a "Sword of Lame Anus Cheese"?

Mr Shadow wrote:In fact it's just like making love; down, left, turn 45 degrees and engage rotor
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

oscar1492-Sorry mate but I havn't tried it yet. My models are in the painting process, however I will once trial it once they get finished and I'll post the results as soon as I can.

In the meantime mate feel free to use it yourself I'm also keen to hear how it works for other people! :D
Death on Wings!
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

For anyone who wishes to see it-the remainder of the list that supports this idea can be found here;

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=753053#753053
Death on Wings!
Demetrius
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Demetrius »

This can be better incorporated by RXB elves, as they have 3 times the range and AP by default. However, a question, if you have RXB the BoM, would they get AP-2 or would it not stack?
Smiler6310
Cold One Knight

Post by Smiler6310 »

Demetrius the Betrayer - Stackings a nice idea but RXB can't take magic banners.
Death on Wings!