Worst battles you've ever played

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Pops71408
Shade

Worst battles you've ever played

Post by Pops71408 »

I rellay need a pick me up after a game i played last night. I was playing my TK against HE. It was the first time I've played TK in a year. The first turn my opponent caused 4 wounds on one unit of chariots from shooting. The second turn both of my tomb scorpions fail to show up and he deals 2 wounds to my other chariot unit. ON the third turn, my tomb scorpians fail again, I charge a unit of SM, only get 3 impact hits which caused 2 wounds, opponent stops all of my magic (Wich would have allowed my chariots to make 1 attack in the magic phase), then proceeds to kill 2 of my chariots leaving my tomb King against 17 SM. IN my opponents 3rd turn he kills my heirophant. The subsequent crumble caused 4 wounds on one of my bone giants, wiped out 8 Light Horsemen, 13 archers and 3 carrion. Turn 4:! Tomb scorpian shows up but my opponent got to place him wherever he wanted...a waste of 85 pts. I charged the swordmaster with my other chariot unit hoping to save my Tomb King...3 more impact hits and only 2 wounds in close combat...TK dies along with 2 chariots. I also charged a unit of scouts with one bone giant. Scouts flee but Giant only follows 3 inches to stop right infront of 10 Dragon Princes. Crumble test finishes of my carrion, one unit of archers, and both units of light Horsemen. my opponents turn he deals 6 wounds to the bone giant that only had 2 wounds left and finishes of my 2nd unit of chariots. Charges my Bone giant with PD but ,thank goodness for rubber lance syndrome, he didn"t cause any wounds. I killed 2 knights. In turn 5 in only had 1 bone giant and 2 tomb scorpians one of wich was usless. MY other tomb scorpian finally shows up. I charge a unit of spearmen and kill his mage...the tomb scorpian dies from combat res. again DP can't wound my giant and i Kill 2 more. nothing crumbles. Opponents turn my giant finally breaks his knights and runs them down. Turn 6: my giant takes 3 wounds from crumbling. Opponents turn: he pot shots a single bolt at my giant...and caused 3 wounds

Final score was roughly 2800 to 500... I only had a tomb scorpian left while my opponent only lost a mage, half a unit of scouts and a unit of 10 DP.

All I could do was laugh or cry...I chose to laugh
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

I was playing a magic-free dark elf list in a tournament, and my second opponent was a VC player with 10 cairn wraiths. I got steamrolled.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Thats nothing, I played one game against High Elves with Star Dragon.
His turn 1 the Dragon moves up next to my Witch Elves. The Witch Elves charge in get massacared he pursues into my CoK kills them all in my turn 2 and then overruns into my Warriors they break in his turn 2 and then he over runs into my corairs who also break in my turn 3. While this is going on my Dark Riders panic and run and the Bolt Throwers get taken out by Dragon Princes.
Entire army wiped out by my turn 4 for no losses whatsoever, he also picked up like 4 banners, 4 table quarters, BSB and slain general.

Another game against a different High Elf list. First turn shooting, both my chariots and both my bolt throwers dead from his bolt throwers, magic and hero with reaver bow. A couple of turns later his swordmasters charge my Witch Elves who get wiped out and then charges the Corsairs who get wiped out. My big unit of CoK with Lord and BSB fail stupidity 4 turns in a row and then get combocharged by Dragon Princes and Swordmasters and are wiped out. Again not a thing left on the board by turn 5 and I killed 2 archers and 1 swordmaster in a 2500pt game

Yet another game vs Vampire Counts, turn two my Witch Elves who got charged due to Danse Macabre flee and also panic my High Sorceress and my corsairs who all promptly leave the board the next turn. By turn 4 when my reinfiorcements turn up I actually have no one on the board for them to 'reinforce'. They proceed to get smashed. Again game over by turn 5 , I killed nothing

Those are probably the three worst, but I could go on about the heaps of 20-0 Massacres I have had. I like to think I am getting better though due to a reduction in stupid tactics leaving my troops getting flanked coupled with appaling dice rolls
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

First game ever.

Blowpipes kill 3 RXB in a 10 man unit with a sorceres, they fail panic and run thogh a CoK unit. The CoK unt fails panic and flees flees as well. Nest turn both fail to rally and run off the board. 600 points lost out of a 1000 point game lost to the first shot of the first turn.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Darkxlord
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkxlord »

wow that's rough.
Desert icon
Assassin

Post by Desert icon »

Rabidnid wrote:Blowpipes kill 3 RXB in a 10 man unit with a sorceres, they fail panic and run thogh a CoK unit. The CoK unt fails panic and flees flees as well. Nest turn both fail to rally and run off the board. 600 points lost out of a 1000 point game lost to the first shot of the first turn.

Similar thing happened to me with my Ogres, we were playing on a small table. High Elf mage casts Pit of Shades turn 1 on a unit of 3 bulls, kills only 1 (first spell of the game, I let it through because I didn't care). Panic test is failed, they run away and panic another 2 units (back then I used silly tactics and formations) and the cascade begins of failed panic tests, making pretty much my entire army run off the board and leaving me with a unit of Bulls with a Butcher in it. Turn 1, my 2k point army now consisted of 4 models. We ended the game on my turn 1, because it was pretty much over by then.

The whole thing took maybe about 10 minutes from set-up to ending.
Pops71408
Shade

Post by Pops71408 »

Thanks guys! This makes me feel better (no offense meant)
Akyro
Warrior

Post by Akyro »

I was trying to get a friend into the game by showing him how a battle went. We played with the skull pass set and some additional models, so we got around 1000 points each. Because we played on a small table and terrain wasn't in my favor my goblins were deployed rather badly.
Dwarves got first turn. A few panic tests later my army was gone.

We started over.
Blackfel
Black Guard

Post by Blackfel »

I played my worst game in recent memory last week. I played an infantry heavy Empire list versus a friend's infantry heavy Chaos list. First two rounds went fairly well, with a Hellstorm rocket battery wiping out half of a unit of Nurgle Chaos warriors. Top of turn three he made it into combat with my main line.

Four turns later, my Greatswords and two blocks of 25 Swordsmen, all led by characters and with two detachments each (10 halberdiers and 10 swordsmen) all of which made it into combat with his Chaos Warriors (negating his ranks) were completely destroyed. I managed to kill exactly ONE model in close combat in four turns. Most turns I never even got a chance to swing a weapon before he'd mowed down my lines. The detachments were worse than useless, as the fact that they were negating ranks was more than overcome by his warriors getting a chance to cut them down in droves.

That's the last time I'll field an infantry heavy Empire army. From now on it's guns, war machines, and knights all the way.

Blackfel
There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
Ehakir
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Ehakir »

Worst WAAC battle:
I advance with my dark elf battle line towards a WOC list, after having used my crystal of midnight on a sorcerer who had already lost a spell due to a miscast in the previous magic phase. My manticore, harpies and a unit dark riders spread out a bit. In his turn he moves this very WOC sorcerer at the end of my battle line, and uses a one-use only breathweapon on my dark riders, who panic and are destroyed due to contacting impossible terrain. This causes my CoK with BSB to fail their panic test and makes them flee through my battle line, panicing the hydra, other CoK, Dark Riders, all but the Black Guard, as they are immune. He declares he forgot to charge his Chaos Knights in my black guard with assassin, and I do not mind, as I think I can handle it. My assassin S&S's with his stars, kills 2 of them. He wins the combat with 1, and I roll an eleven for my break test. Gone as well. The only thing that rallied again was my hydra. In one turn I had lost 3/4 of my army, but I still managed to get a solid loss out of it instead of a massacre...

The worst battles I have ever played from a non-WAACY perspective are the ones I had to play against a certain guy who only visits a few tournaments a year, tends to think he knows the rules to the bone, and then fails miserably. Very irritating to hear how he swears his dark elf troops (bandwagon boy..) have some special rules of which I as an experienced dark elf player have never heard of... Brings me massacres all the time though, but I would like it better to get my army crushed by a better general.

EDIT: Not to mention my 6th ed. battle where I played against a Nurgle Daemonic Legion (cloud of flies, anyone remember?). At the end I had scored 0 VP.
"Ceterum censeo Ulthuan esse delendam"
-Ehakir

3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win.
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

Ehakir wrote:The worst battles I have ever played from a non-WAACY perspective are the ones I had to play against a certain guy who only visits a few tournaments a year, tends to think he knows the rules to the bone, and then fails miserably. Very irritating to hear how he swears his dark elf troops (bandwagon boy..) have some special rules of which I as an experienced dark elf player have never heard of... Brings me massacres all the time though, but I would like it better to get my army crushed by a better general.

That's it for me too: better be beaten by a good and fun general, then being annoyed for 2,5 hours and win by massacre.
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself
The-nurgle-infected
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by The-nurgle-infected »

one of the first games was also one of the worst. I was playing High elf vs Greenskins(/undead)... the guy I was playing against couldn´t calculate that well, didn´t have the vampire counts army book, and some more... he desidet to take.. I think it was 6 NG fanatics (for free) a skelleton unit with spears (also for free) and none of the magic items carried by his characters was counted towards his final point score... as many of you prob. can hear I was doomed from the beginning...
You never know which of the dark gods claims your guts.
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

The first time I played against my friends Dwarf Gunline was at 1000pts. I fielded 2 tooled up level 2 Soceresses, 2 units of Corsairs, 2 units of knights and some crossbowmen. It was over by turn 4..

Worst experience I had was Massacring my friends entire army (literally no models left on his side) by Turn 5. We were both playing Orcs and Gobbos at 1500 points, I only lost 2 Gobbos, 1 Black Orc, and 1 Big Un all game. I felt like a complete D-bag. It was only his 3rd game ever and he never wanted to play again (I don't blame him either). I was so ridiculously lucky, everything was way too perfect (dice on both sides, range guessing and my tactics)
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Carpet
Warrior

Post by Carpet »

I went to a Games night at my local store with my Dwarf army, with the intention of playing my mates goblins, we did (I won-miners are ace) but second game fought a 2k chaos army (while i was at 1700 points) and the only casualties i managed to cause were 5 warriors with my organ gun.

Unfortunately he was also one of those bad sportsman types

"If you dont mind, can we end the game here, its clear you have won by a massacre"

"no, we have to play this till the end"

So with that i watched my Runesmith and 4 thunderers get surrounded and charged by everything. At that point my heart wasnt in it
Let this colony know in the name of the dead we're coming
Jimmoth
Slave on the Altar

Post by Jimmoth »

worst game ever...i was playing with my orcs 4000 pts versus chaos warriors and vampires. i decided to pack an unusual amount of fanatics as they would ( or should of ) torn throw the chaos warriors and zombie blocks. 9 fanatics on the board. a big board too, and i was stupidly thinking i had the points to take a few hits myself.....or so i thought. once the fanatics were out they began to slowly turn around and all i could do was watch as this spinning mess turn and head towards my lines. grimgor dead, my wyvern dead, they just wouldnt stop. and then the panic hit. well lets just say i learned my lesson. i always knew too, one day they'd get me.
Soon it will all be ours...
Niceas
Warrior

Post by Niceas »

Hey all. Not Dark Elves, but...

This happened in a game a few months back, playing skaven.

Me: Ok, so for my first magic phase, I'm going to start by casting warp lightning with this warlock engineer. I'll cast it on the "9" difficulty.
Opponent: Ok.
Dice are thrown - result 6, 6, 1.
Me: Ok, so total power...
Opponent: ouch... ok...
Dice are thrown - result 1, 1
Me: Err... Ok, so two st5 hits on the engineer...
dice are thrown - result: two not-ones
Me: The engineer dies. Ok, my OTHER warlock engineer casts warp lightning. I'll cast it on the "9" difficulty...
Dice are thrown - result 1, 1, 5
Opponent: ... uh...
Me: /sigh
Dice are thrown for miscast table - result: 1, 1

As you can tell, the game did not last long. The second engineer took 5 rats with him, caused a panic test, resulting in the clanrat unit fleeing through a ratling gun, which fled...

Anyways, I think my whole army looked at the two Engineers and decided that it was a bad day to die.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

This is a hell of a long time ago, but one time playing HE against a WAAC Mortal Khorne army in 6th edition, I had a destroyed unit panic result run most of my army off the table... mostly tens, elevens and twelves thrown for both leadership tests and fleeing results. They just bloody ran off at the sight of a small Archer unit being wiped out. The only thing left standing was my Prince on a dragon with the Bow of the Seafarer... who proceeded to take out an entire unit of Chosen Knights the subsequent turn and continued to be a bastion allowing me to drag the game out of the fire with a minor loss.

As for worst battles for my opponent, I have to feel sorry for Menno, a good friend of mine who I played a year ago after a long time, and I tried to get him back into the game with a balanced 1000 point game between my O&G and his TK. As his skellie blocks and my Orcs are closing in, he deems the time right for a final shot with his Screaming Skull Catapult at my block of Big'uns; he lands a shot right into my front rank, but scatters... with the hole of the template right above his Tomb Prince. Bye bye. It's the kind of misfortune I'm quite inured to with my greenskins, but for a supremely reliable army like TK... :D

As far as worst games go in terms of worst opponents: I haven't played against this guy, but bear with me. The person in question, a sweaty fourty-or-something-year-old, frequents many tournaments in the Netherlands. He plays an Empire gunline, which is frustrating enough to face on its own, but wait 'till you hear what tactic he uses. He... takes photographs. Every battle he plays, he pretends to be bloody enthousiastic about the aesthetic quality of the two armies clashing. He can carefully measure the time left for the battle in the tournament, so he can take his two or three shooting phases and the battle is over due to time constraints before his opponent actually reaches his gunline. Fun, eh?
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Not funny, complain to the organiser and tell him to take photographs only during your turns. So in his turns he *plays the game*
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Bergerfett
Corsair

Post by Bergerfett »

Worst Game for my opponent:
Probably about 2 weeks ago I faced off agaisnt Wood Elves. Ring of Hotek Causes his General to miscast, takes a strength 8 hit. I roll a 1 no biggie, the general had 1 wound inflicted. His next magic phase his general rolls 1, 1 2 spells in a row. str 5 hits both times, kills his general for me. on the second miscast he launched his dice across the store and thru a orc fortress wall we have.

My worst game:
I really have to think. Probably my first time playing Tomb Kings verses my friends empire. he hated his emprie army but that did not stop his hellblaster from mis firing and thing rolling a 6 against my bone giant to mow it down. Also Cannon sniped my heirophant, and his organgun misfire 6'd again on my tomb guard. learned alot that game to say the least. We still laugh about that game.
Grandmasterfred
Executioner

Post by Grandmasterfred »

my worst game ever first turn with VC i charged my lord into a star dragon prince gets killed and my entire army crumbles to dust that turn
Accersitus
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Accersitus »

Not the worst game for me, but I played a friend of mine, I was playing DE, he was playing VC. It was our first game in a while, so we were eager to try the 7th edition army books. He starts turn one, flying his Lord on Abyssal Terror behind a forest to hide from my RBTs (and some other moves), and in the magic phase he discovers the joy of summoning zombies. One unit ends up on the other side of the woods in front of my executioners. My turn one, the executioners charge the zombies, wipe them out, rolls 12 on overrun, and run straight through the forest in to the Vampire lord. His turn 2, the vampire lord dies to killing blow. The dice were with me that time.
S'tan
Warrior

Post by S'tan »

Worst game? When a pack of bloody Waywatchers shot my Vampire Lord off a Dragon in turn one, before I got to do anything. The rest is history...
A man cannot drink from a mirage, but he can drown in it.
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Worst game ever. I stupidly tried to counter an all mounted chaos magicline with cav heavy DE. Opponent gets first turn. I let through a flickering fire on a dark rider unit screening my knights. It wipes them out and that's when I discover he has the doom totem (-1Ld to all enemies in LoS). No problem, my general is in range, right? Wrong. 2 units of knights, accompanied by my BSB and another master, and a second unit of DRs panic and flee off the table. My turn, I charge my lord on his manticore at the advancing BSB and knight unit, then open fire with 4 RBT's and 2 crossbow units at his marauder horse. Net result 6 dead marauders. Naturally my lord and manti failed to score a singel killing blow between them and the manti was smited by the BSB and his jugger, running down the lord. Next turn he gateway's my sorceress' crossbowmen to oblivion, panicking 2 RBT's, survives a stand and shoot by 10 other crossbowmen with 2 marauders who proceed to beat the unit in combat and overrun into another RBT.

My turn 2, I had a RBT left and 2 units of fleeing harpies...
@1elbow
Warrior

Post by @1elbow »

Faced several dozen Squig Hoppers in Fifth Edition. I had to forfeit because his movement phase took forty minutes every turn.
Lexy
Assassin

Post by Lexy »

Gnosis wrote:As far as worst games go in terms of worst opponents: I haven't played against this guy, but bear with me. The person in question, a sweaty fourty-or-something-year-old, frequents many tournaments in the Netherlands. He plays an Empire gunline, which is frustrating enough to face on its own, but wait 'till you hear what tactic he uses. He... takes photographs. Every battle he plays, he pretends to be bloody enthousiastic about the aesthetic quality of the two armies clashing. He can carefully measure the time left for the battle in the tournament, so he can take his two or three shooting phases and the battle is over due to time constraints before his opponent actually reaches his gunline. Fun, eh?

I have the feeling I know this guy, but I never seen him with empire.
In that case a sore loser too.
Never know what to do next, you might surprise yourself