Dreadlord on a Dragon

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Mazin1
Slave on the Altar

Dreadlord on a Dragon

Post by Mazin1 »

Hi all, first post here so if its in the wrong place I apologize.

Im very new to the game and have been adding to my army. I just picked up a dragon (im moding a High Elf dragon currentrly).

So Im building the Dreadlord rider but Im torn between 2 weapons: Crimson Death and Caldor`s Bane. I just wanted to get some feedback on which is the better choice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I did do a search but all the post seemed to be pre 7th ed..
Grandmaster ej
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Grandmaster ej »

both work but it really depends on the rest of your set-up really:

for example, a dreadlord with the pendant of khaeleth, and hence a attrition capable dreadlord could have either, but may be better suited to the crimson death

a dreadlord who wants to carry the ring of hotek, cannot then carry the pendant and so must take the armour of eternal servitude, to suplement this I usually take a shield and give him caledor's bane as he can use a shield with it. this also applies if you want to double the dreadlord with a pendant carrying BSB (a good combination), and therefore leaving your dreadlord with the armour of eternal servitude

this also means your dreadlords have to work in different ways, a crimson/pendant lord can fight anything, a star dragon, a blood thirster etc, however a caledors bane/servitude dreadlord cannot fight an extended fight aslong, and therefore you would have to weaken a tough target before engaging with your dreadlord

hope this helps
Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting infers the possability of failure. Chuck Norris goes killing.
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

I actually prefer Deathpiercer to either one of those. Since the Dragon itself is already dishing out 5 strength 6 attacks, I go for the weapon that can kill in one hit and can automatically bypass both armor and regeneration in the process.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Nightblade183
Assassin

Post by Nightblade183 »

If you need endurance go with Crimson Death, if you need something that hits a little harder and is nice for other dragons, stegs, and other things with scaly skin Caledor's Bane is nice. I usually prefer a lance and potion of strength. That way I get a solid strength 6 charge, and if by some miracle that and two rounds of Dragon attacks aren't enough then I can call upon my potion. It has always worked well for me.
...__i___
...))))) r
.\OOOOO/
~~~~~~~~~
We can't possibly be the only people on this forum who love plundering and pillaging can we? Come join the Brotherhood of The Coast, and raid til your heart's content.

Beeing ilitterit makes dis forem stewpid

8th Edition Game Tally
W/L/D
2/1/1
Waerik
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Waerik »

I would prefer CD, AoD and three null talismans.

This is however based on the premise that you are fielding a 2000pts army; and as such, you do not have much points left to spend on magic defence.

this also means your dreadlords have to work in different ways, a crimson/pendant lord can fight anything, a star dragon, a blood thirster etc,

You will not be able to go toe to toe with a bloodthirster for long; unless he knows that you can't have the pendnat (i.e. he knows that you have RoH or MR on him) he will target the dragon, which will die in two combat phases, the dread lord will obviously break in the second due to outnumber and terror.

Both Caledors Bane and CD are good choices though, an alternative is to incert a metal pin in the saddle on the dragon, so that you can switch rider (i.e. you make a small hole under your riders as well).
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Minsc

Post by Minsc »

Crimson Death, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, Shield, Seadragon cloak - Standard (cheesy) unkillable dreadlord on a Dragon that hits decently hard on the charge - 9 Rerollable S6 attacks. (Wich on average is 7 wounds without armoursaves on WS1-5, T1-4, 4+ AS troops = winning combat by 2 in most cases.)

I prefer CD on my Dragonrider since he doesn't loose any strenght after the first round of combat, and my dragons have a habbit of getting stuck...
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

You will regret Caledors bane when facing VC or DoC, and that is where dragons are least helpful.

Crimson death works well and save me time as I can usually roll all my to hits and to wounds together.
Ethsar46
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Ethsar46 »

Personally I'd go for the Pendant, Hydra Blade and Potion of Strength.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Personally I like a simple lance and Armour of Darkness, The 1+ armour is really better than Regen most of the time and is cheaper.
I think the lance works well as it gives you S6 same as Crimson Death but only costs 6 points. True it only lasts a turn but I try to avoid getting bogged down with the Dragon, if he doesn't win the first turn of combat he is usually unlikely to win the second either.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Minsc

Post by Minsc »

if he doesn't win the first turn of combat he is usually unlikely to win the second either.

It's usually not about the Dragonlord not winning - It's about whatever he fight's not breaking, and here S6 in subsequent turns really shine.
Brokenstone
Cold One Knight

Post by Brokenstone »

also, a magic weapon is handy simply so your dragon doesn't get bogged down and suddenly set upon by ethereals or the like... Mind you, if you get in that situation, then you didn't deserve to live most of the time anyway
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

Its not too difficult for a VC player to get wraiths to your dragon with a move of 12" and a Vanhels they can often attempt to cast like 6 times on 2 dice.

Usually people who take a dragon just take a scroll caddy and ring as magic defence, and that only lasts so long.

I also like the St6 all the time as I have had a vamp lord on dragon charge me, kill my dragon, and I managed to kill the vamp lord back while on foot. I couldnt have with a lance. Hydrablade+PoS I might consider.

(Try avoiding a vamp lord on dragon that can Vanhels 5 times on 2 dice before he needs it cast by the book of arkhan, necro, other vamp :roll: )