Tactics for 6th Edition Druchii??

How to beat those cowardly High Elves?

Moderators: Layne, The Dread Knights

Balor
Trainee Warrior

Tactics for 6th Edition Druchii??

Post by Balor »

Hey,
I'm planning to play the Druchii with rules for the 6th. Edition, because I don't like the new book.
I use the rules with update and the items from the Storm of Chaos armybook.

I don't have any experience with Dark Elves, only with Asrai.
I learned, that Elves are expensive and they are dying very fast.
But I think, that Druchii are a little bit easier, than the Woodelves and I don't mean, that I don't have to think about them. The Woodelves are just special.

Are there any tactics for a learner? I thought about 2000 points.
I played Vampires for about 9 years and my focus lies on close combat.
I still have some problems of using shooting troops, even in my Woodelve list and I know how important they are.
So tactics with hard close combat (Executioners???) are welcome, but give me some shooting troops, I need the experience (and I'm a big fan of Repeating Bolt Throwers).
Eevil is ruling over my existence.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I need the experience (and I'm a big fan of Repeating Bolt Throwers).

Good job because you are going to need them! The old 6th ed book was certainly not made for powergamers. You will find that you struggle to get results using it. You will however, become a better player.

I used a dragon/fast list in 6th. So a dragon lord, a scroll caddy, loads of Dark Riders, harpies, 4 chariots for the hard hits a hydra, 2 bolt throwers and whatever else took my fancy that week.

Luckily for you there are more articles about using 6th ed druchii than there are high shool essays about global warming. You shoulddnt be short of advice.
Kuroi
Warrior

Post by Kuroi »

"I'm planning to play the Druchii with rules for the 6th. Edition, because I don't like the new book. "

"You will however, become a better player. "

Wait what? More likely he'll get smashed into the ground...
Just use the new book, you'll be a happier that way....
Yemeth wrote:
Kuroi wrote:Dru-chii

well, that settled it.
Rez
Warrior

Post by Rez »

The old list requires more tactics to win with, hence why he will be made a better player. The new list contains a lot of no-brainers, the old list was nearly devoid of these.
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Yup, you got it.
I just hate the new style of Warhammer, with this power units, power lists and lots of no-brainers.
The background isn't interesting for anyone, just the stats and this overpowered rules.
I sold my love, the Vampires, because of that new book. Where is the fun?
Where is the competition? It is to easy to win.
And the new Druchii book...I just don't know what to say.
Heroes, with no hero choice (Assassins), this Blood Cauldron, 2 attacks for the knights (it is so disgusting that every army gets an unit with 2attacks in the profile)...but the worst thing are the points and the rules for Warriors.
Elves aren't a race with a huge population and then 6 points for that profile and the rules...that is a no go and that isn't Warhammer, which I played for years.
I'm playing Asrai, I know how it feels, when I got my ass beaten up, for 6 games of 6 games. But I have more fun, because it is so difficult, I have to think about every move and one mistake could be my last.
And that is Druchii style, too. And I want to play it this way.
It was never an army for easy fights.
And I see no negative effect for losing games. We all have one, cause we are playing a story abd if I get a better tactician (???) then I do everything right with the last book.
Just look at the Daemons, the Chaos Lores, Vampires and the new magic power of the Skaven. I can't understand, who has so much fun with such things, and I'm very happy, that I'm not a tournament player who need the new books.
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

I would just dig through the forum's earlier topics (about 40 pages back i think) and you would find lot's of tactical advice.

P.S: kudos to you mate
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Thanx

but

"P.S: kudos to you mate"

what does that mean?
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

It means that I have respect for your choice, a lot of respect.

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Marauder mitch2
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Marauder mitch2 »

The old DE's taught me how to play and you will learn a few nice tricks. DE's was the 1st army to have MSU tactics and tactica articles and posts from Dark Alliance, Kelador, XXizor and Jeff Leong are a good place to work.
DJ Dizzy Posted: Jul 1 2009, 08:13 PM

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,989

My daemon record is 2 wins and 12 losses... Yep, I suck at warhammer
-sharingan-
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by -sharingan- »

Balor wrote:, 2 attacks for the knights (it is so disgusting that every army gets an unit with 2attacks in the profile)....

Cold one knights have 1 attack m8. Blackguard have 2 tho ^_^
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

@ no one:
Thank you for your very, very nice words...it doesn't feel so special for me, it is just the right choice...hm, don't really know what to say..argh,okay, thanx man :D you rock!

@Marauder:
Ah, thanx for articles. I will search for them

@Sharingan:
Oops, sorry. But that isn't so much better, I think. 2 attacks, this profile and the other rules like eternal hate and then in comparison to imperial greatswords...no go...! Absolutely.
It isn't so right, if I 'm just comparing, but DE are an elite army, with a low population.
The Empire isn't such an army...ahhh, this new edition is giving me so much nightmares. If anybody from GW is reading:
Back to the roots! Background over rules! Money isn't everything!
-sharingan-
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by -sharingan- »

That might be true. But 2 attacks on BG aint that farfetched in the fluff I think. They ARE the absolute elite of the druchii army. They should be mean as hell. And not just som stubborn spearmen.
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

I know what you mean, but the Eternal Hate rule fits it completely, because noone (instead of a Strigoi) got that rule. That is more enough. Then stubborn and a good profile.
Every army got more rules, with cheaper units. Where are the tactics? You don't need them just cool dice. Fluff? Pff, back in the a**!
And extra attacks were real special...now it is normal that there is a unit with 2 profile attacks and that is disgusting.

And I got the experience, that the BG is expensive, but useful (I'm talking from the old rules) and quite hard in combat.
I like it, that there is no unit in Druchii army, that can beat everything in its own. Yeah, BG does damage, but they need help. If they are on its own, there is a great possibility, that the enemy has a close combat for the rest of the battle (high leadership and stubborn).
But with Executioners and Assassin...BAM!
I don't want no brainers and the BG with old rules is perfect and no overpowered unit.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If you played Asrai you will do fine with 6th edition Druchii.
Use the same tactics.
Nothing else will work with that list.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

90% units without rank&file??? ;)
No chariots? ;) ;)
No repaeter? ;) ;) ;)
Aha...a Dragon!!!

No, cool! I don't know exactly what you are meaning, but I think I'm on the right way...hope so.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

100% units without ranks.
Dark Riders, Shades, Dragon, Minimal Magic (defense only)
4 bolt throwers to set up traps for the dragon (as they're the only unit the enemy can really attack.
7th edition army book:

Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Are you serious?
That is a normal tactic...okay, but not my style...completely not.
I need Warriors, Corsairs, Executioners (hay, they are looking so good!!!), BG, and all the great stuff.
No, I definitely won't playing them like that!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Then you will lose.
Not much more there is to it.
7th edition army book:

No one
Noble

Post by No one »

In that case I hope you're no sore loser, trust me, playing 6th ed druchii this way is very hard (and I tried it a lot of times). still, good luck.

P.S: 6th ed BG are definetly NOT reliable for holding the line when fighting anything wich causes fear as they were not ITP in 6th.

Dalmar beat me

Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Okay, but it is better for me to lose and have a good game, instead of easy winning and everybody is bored or annoyed.
I'm playing stories and I won't give my life easy.
I'm Druchii, this is our way! Nobody said, that it is an easy way! And the enemy has to suffer if he wants to beat me!

:D

And that it is all about.
Warhammer isn't about winning or losing...it is just playing and seeing...enjoy the stories and have fun!
And if we got the possibilities to swim in blood, it fits me perfectly.
And if I win someday, then it is something special.
Then it is the day, when I know, that my skills are better and better.
I want to be a good tactician and a good General and when I'm winning my way, then it is time for me to know that I reach this level.

I would like to play with you. Then you could see, that I'm not a sore loser...I'm just a tabletopper ;) (Man, how pathetic... :roll: )
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

If it's a good game for you when you need above average rolls to achieve average results and masterful tactics to have a slim chance of winning, then enjoy ;)

Your stories will mostly consist of elite elves, drilled for combat since early childhood, losing to humans who barely pick up swords for a month in a year when they serve in local militia.
7th edition army book:

Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

Okay, I believe you. I believed you all the time, that it won't be easy...
But this is better, then this Powergaming Armybook, called Darkelves...ts...every kid can win with it (just as Daemons or Vampires)...
...I want play such things anymore...that was just horrible...
Hey, and I don't think that Druchii were a loser army in the 6th. Edition...
...the best army is Empire, if they got a General who knows his army and the enemy army...they have an answer for everything and they are the hardest enemy...luckily, I don't have to play against Daemons and Vampires, so The Empire is my nut that I have to crack.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

With 6th ed Dark Elves? You won't.
If he plays with multiple Knight units and a steam tank or two you don't even have to pull your models out, it will be an exercise in futility.
7th edition army book:

Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Balor wrote:Are you serious?
That is a normal tactic...okay, but not my style...completely not.
I need Warriors, Corsairs, Executioners (hay, they are looking so good!!!), BG, and all the great stuff.
No, I definitely won't playing them like that!
If you want a challenge, take ...
Warriors, Corsairs, Executioners, BG!
Just make sure not to take any single magic item! Nor any rare choice.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Balor
Trainee Warrior

Post by Balor »

There will magical items and RBT will be there, too... :twisted: