(PLOG) Northern Army: updated work on cauldron 3/10

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Kurze
Black Guard

(PLOG) Northern Army: updated work on cauldron 3/10

Post by Kurze »

Hi guys and gals, finally got myself sorted enough to take some pics of my horde.
This ois only a small portion, the rest are either unpainted or have been stripped and or undercoated. Sorry about the reflection on the minis but I use a hard as nails varnish and its shiney as!

Comments and suggestions always welcom

Cheers

Kurze

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Kurze on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Linkinhearts666
Dark Rider

Post by Linkinhearts666 »

wow beautiful minis! thats really beautiful! I simply adore it
Ayxxia the Shade is hiding in the shadows and waiting to attack...

Best way to get rid of a treeman is wait until the owner has it on the table in front of him and then kick him very hard in the groin from behind. When he doubles up and smacks his face intoit, he should wreck the treeman and it will teach the little bastard not to run a treeman at 750

Its the Druchii way of gaming!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

That army looks great on the field - How long did it take to paint this lot?

Not sure about the gloss varnish - I prefer a Matt spray. Reflections on the minis in my opinion make them look wet.

Congrats for a job well done.
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Thanks guys :D
Yeah the gloss is a bit much, but it is extremely tough (I use a car laquer!)
It's taken a while, to paint busy busy, but I can usually knock out a unit of twenty in a week.
Black guard were done on my honeymoon! LOL! ;)
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

Nice army dude.
-And i have to ask, where did u buy the sorceress on foot, at the bottom of your post.
-JK.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Very impressive :)

The reaper hydra of leuctra model is one of my all time favourites :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Thaks again guys :)

The sorceress is rom the reaper range, Dark heaven I think? The other one is a morathi/witch elf conversion cos I got sick of her pegasus getting killed all the time!

Deathknight: Yeah, this hydra was waaaay cooler the the previous GW version, although now I want the newer one... sigh!!
We are the pilgrims master, we shall always go a little further

[PLOG]. http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=kurze
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Thanks, it is a very impressive model!
-Yeah, i could see that, and i have tried the pegadeath a few times too. Sux.
-JK.
Westenmensch
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Westenmensch »

Awesome paintjobs, can't stop looking at them. 20 per week? Well... I cannot beat that with my 6 per month :)
Would you share the secret of the goldish like metal on the execs? Looks exactly like how I imagined the armours of silvers steel (the ones they often refer to in the Malus Darkblade novels) to look like.
Please excuse my poor English. I just put it here so I don't have to write it every single time I post something :)
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The painting is consistent and you've got lots of troops to pick from. They sure are shiny though =(
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

ITs only 20 a week if I actually get the time to sit down ... does'nt happen very often.

The way I do gold is to start with Tinbitz as the base and then just work my way up to burnished gold with highlighting, then a chestnut ink followed again by burnished gold highlights. It's surpriningly quick to do :)
Westenmensch
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Westenmensch »

Actually... I think I didn't look close enough when noticing that only the Command Group does have the goldish colour an the others have the kind of very nice chainmail-mithril silvery thing. How was that done? Is it simple highlighting again? Mine would never look like that... any special techniques you would like to share with us or is it just my poor painting skills keeping me away from such impressive results?
Please excuse my poor English. I just put it here so I don't have to write it every single time I post something :)
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

I love this army. You have used models from all over the place without losing any cohesiveness.

Great to see some of the old Marauder miniatures still in use as well.

This inspires me to get to work on my own army, its in a very sorry state at the moment having been neglected for a couple of years. I have been playing but have made very little effort to make repairs or paint anything new.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

I think they need irises.

I'm guessing that the "whites only" thing with the eyes is intentional, but it looks either 1) too freaky and non living, or 2) like somebody didn't bother to finish the eyes.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Fair call on the irises. :)
I did it just cos they look really evil, especially the executioners and knights.

As for the metal on the Execs, its just Chainmail highlighted with Mithril followed by a VERY diluted blue/black ink wash, them hightlihgted again with mithril.

I have some really old Marauder minis that I'll put a pic up of, sadly they are'nt next in line for painting, Thats the withches!
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Check out these classics!

Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Btw, i really like the way you pulled it off by using so much black, and still make your troops look very interesting, nice indeed.
-JK.
Dracopl
Slave on the Altar

Post by Dracopl »

Hey, where is sorceress model from ( the one on the tower ) ?
Draco
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Which one?
One is a Reaper mini and the other one is a Morathi/withch elf conversion.

Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

Very cool Kurze.

I love armies that integrate minis from many ranges and eras, yet still retain a cohesive overall `look`. I`m also a big fan of including the odd old classic mini into a unit of newer models. It`s a nice surprise for your opponent. Thanks to GW`s mostly excellent previously released ranges of DE`s, it`s also quite viable to include whole units of classic mini`s into your `new` army. I use Marauder Rxb Warriors exclusively, `raptor` style metal COK`s, 5th ed. era Corsairs, and numerous other older models alongside the newer shinier DE`s. You`ve done this really well IMO. It definately generates more interest when viewing the army.

I also use that old Hydra model. I thought it was a Ral Partha model ? Maybe I`m too old and senile, as someone above mentioned it`s a Reaper mini. I do use a Reaper model of a Beast Mistress but can`t remember her name. I love that Hydra model. I`ve used it for many years as I never liked the GW offering and it looks excellent. It`s a bit small in my eyes by comparison to GW`s other beasties. I tell my opponents that it`s an `immature` Hydra in training.

I have some reservations about the high gloss effect, but overall you have a very cool looking, well painted army that looks the business.

Excellent.
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Kurze
Black Guard

Post by Kurze »

Thanks mate, aprreciate it :)
Does anyone know of a decent matt varnish that comes in a spray can?

Lord myki
Black Guard

Post by Lord myki »

Very nice job! I really like what you have done.

Thanks for sharing.
Mere death is but a blink of an eye,
Death by the Druchii is eternal!
Victor simic
Highborn

Post by Victor simic »

Don`t GW make a Matt Varnish in a spray can ? I might be wrong as I haven`t used it, but I seem to recall some kind of GW finishing product in a can.

Anyone ?
Be happy, and ye shall be wise
Mithrilforge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Mithrilforge »

Testors "Dullcote" is THE supreme matt varnish,it should be stocked at most good model shops,a lot of people i know swear by it to get that perfect matt look.
cheers Mithril
Vesidel
Dark Rider

Post by Vesidel »

The GW varnish is complete garbage and in addition to clumping and causing your figures to go white in the cracks it also tends to turn yellow with age.

Testors dullcote is fantastic and will work perfectly to cut down on the glossy finish of those figures.