[pic heavy] Lord Tsunami's Army (Now with hot girl! 1st Aug)

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

[pic heavy] Lord Tsunami's Army (Now with hot girl! 1st Aug)

Post by Lord tsunami »

Howdy folks.

Im an old time player and ive been playing DE for the passed ten years or so. I have an army, but i am in the process of updating it to a new color-scheme. The old one was pained a la GW, with silver armor, purple cloth and so on. The new color-scheme is a bit more unique, so i figured id share it with the community :)

The base is simple. I use a green tinted silver metal for plate armor, and gold for chainmail. Cloth is painted black and i have details in red and purple. skin is based on elf flesh. The beasts and SDCs will be painted in a brown/white color that is stolen from the hydras in the ancient game Heroes of Might and Magic II :)

The purpose of this army is not to create a showcase army, but an army with good tabletop standard, and hopefully with some cool conversions to catch ones eye. I will paint my rank and file models in 2 steps (possibly). First i will paint each surface in one color, and then i will ink it. when/if i feel like it i might go back and "upgrade" them with full highlight like my characters, but first i will make them usable on the battlefield. I will however make the bases complete in the first step. I find that it helps an army tremendously to have proper bases when it comes to looking "finished" even if many individual models wont be fully highlighted.

I will bump this thread and update the first post... whenever i feel like it.

Deadlord
Converted from a plastic corsair with legs from a warrior. Shield is from an old CoK and the whip is made grom greenstuff wrapped around steel wire.

Battle Standard Bearer
Converted the same way as the Dreadlord. Can actually stand up without tipping over :P

Flying Master
I made this conversion, and painted the pegasus over five years ago, but i never finished it. Now when DP are great again i figured id finish the model. I havent put any great effort in to the master, and the pegasus was painted for a different army, but it works as a decent place holder, and its not that horrible even if it doesnt quite fit the army. The rider is a HE dragonprince with a crappy greenstuff cloak added. The pegasus is a bretonnian pegasus with a sword on its nose :)

Hydra
Its not the best painted hydra out there i admit, but i found it terribly boring to paint, and just wanted to get done. its drybushed and inked with several shades from bestial brown to iyaden darksun. the "white" is mixed from black, bestial brown and white. it actually looks better in real life. i guess the photo went bananas on the contrast of the white and made it look horrid in the pic :P It will not win me any golden daemons but it looks impressive on the battlefield, and they sure kill a lot of people :P

Harpies
Converted from a ghoul and a tyranid gargoyle. Painted red cause i want them to really look like demons summoned by my mighty sorceress. i used this colour scheme on my old harpies too (the normal dark elf ones) ever since those models were released. They really stand out on the battlefield, pulling lots of attention (away from my nastier units :twisted: ). Again its painted to table top quality, and not more. I can always come back and improve :)

Sorceress
Here is the newest addition, one of my first dark elf models i ever painted, but with a fresh new hand and coat of paint. its not my best work ever, but i am pretty satisfied with how it turned out. i love the small conversion with the dagger... too bad i promised i wouldnt be using it anymore :P
I tried a new technique for painting metal (new for me that is) with plenty of brown inks. i really think it makes it come alive a lot more than the more standard "pure silver" you associate with druchii. Also, the highlights are a bit softer than i usually do, and think that worked out pretty well also.
And yes, i know her heavy makeup makes her look like a Russian tranny, but thats all part of these old school models :D

Warriors with unit filler
Here is the start of my warrior unit. ATM i am using a unit of 40 (so i mix in my old models), but here are the ones i have painted in the new scheme so far. I decided on shortening the spears in general, and painting them in a slightly... orcish way, with black and brown tones, and rough edges. Normally we see druchii weapons like surgical instruments, but i like the more savage feel these spears have. The dreadlord is currently posing as a normal unit champion. i like the model, but i wont be fielding any food dreadlords anytime soon :(

Bolt thrower
Despite it impopularity (or perhaps because of it) i use a single bolt thrower in my 2400p army. It never really impresses, but it is a solid way to spend 100 points. It is more effective point for point than RXB on stuff that are more than 12 inches away an/or has T4 or AS 4+ or better. Against dwarfs it has a high tenancy to be turned in to twigs as soon as the hydra is dead, but who cares? :D I chose to paint it the same color as my spears. A greyish brown (based on khemri brown) and a darkish silver/brown tone. I really like it despite it being a bit dull. The crew will liven things up with their fancy armour. I am also trying out a new background for photos. i think i like this one better than my previous white backround...

Here is an updated pic. both crew members were painted, and then i was just going to do the varnishing... and for the first time in over 15 years of painting i managed to take the wrong can and spray black on the finished painted crew. awesome eh? :D

By house rules we use these oval bases for all war machines in my gaming group. we measure distances and use them for template hits and such. i can really REALLY recommend that, since it makes for much smoother gameplay.

Repeater Archers
I currently use two units of 10 of these guys in my army. It is not too much, but they always seem to preform. With shields they are reasonably good in close combat too, and many a tide of battle has been turned by a surprise charge by 10 of these guys in the flank of an enemy. they never seem to remember that they are even better than warriors in combat (due to the parry save) :twisted:

Image[/u]

Executioners
These are my executioner conversions. i did the first five back in ~2004 and i just finished the last of them. Up until very recently i used a unit of 14 as support, and they can do really nasty things if properly handled. with only the cauldron buff, 14 executioners killed 17 dwarf warriors on the charge. However, against anything that doesnt also strike last i have found them too hard to use (in small units) so atm, they are "count as" BG instead. we shall see how that turns out :P

The models are made from warriors, with a little shoddy GS work (groin plate, and modified mouth guard on the helmets. No they are not as cool as the normal executioner models, but they are cheap, and they get the job done. Some of them look better than others, and swords from corsairs do look better than warrior spear tips in general. To some one who wishes to try this out herself i would recommend doing a little bot more work on the helmets. I think it would be very cool to use either glade guard heads (with hoods), or CoK heads (more ornate), and as i mentioned, corsair swords, or why not bloodletter swords. however, these all cost money, and therefore counteract the purpose of the conversion: to save cash :P

Dark Riders
Next up, the dark riders! I still use one unit in this edition, though i know many prefer shades. In fact ii use one unit of DRs, one of Shades, and two of harpies, and after what must be almost a hundred matches with that setup i still cant find a good reason to switch any of the units for any of the others. they are all excellent :)

These models are (obviously) made from glade riders. i already had 11 of the old metal models, but when i decided to repaint the army i wanted not to include any of those old elven steeds. the old riders arent too bad, but the horses... And also, as usual i wanted something a bit different. I really like these models, and i think they do look 100% dark elvish. The boring thing is the colors. if you look carefully you can see that two riders have all black cloth while the three others have purple tunics. i painted them one after another, and i didnt try the purple until the third model. i think it helps a bit to liven them up, but they dont do too well with my colorscheme. all the "color" in it is basically in the green/gold contrast in the armour, and these guys have very little of it. i even had to paint their knees gold to get any color at all on them. Well, they are called "dark" riders... The modelling i did was very simple. i cut away the quiver on the cloaks, and instead of doing extensive GS work i simply put a shield over the "scar". yes i know they arent supposed to have shields, but i could argue that these guys dont seem to have much in the way of "light armour" either. Anyway, no one has complained yet, i always state clearly that these guys do not have shields if i am playing some one new. The rest of the "modeling" was just arm swapping, though it requires a bit of GS to make the RXB arms fit to the smaller glade rider bodies.

To liven up the horses a bit i did three special things. first i decided to make them a bit more monstrous by giving them orange eyes with a vertical snakelike pupil. Then i painted their "hooves" as "cloves" instead. Lastly, i did a bit of "doodling" with a black marker on the armourplate. It doesnt look very good when you check up close, cause there was no real plan, just doodling, but at gaming distance it looks like i put extra effort into them ;)

Shades
And for those who liked the wood elf models as dark riders, here is an encore using glade guard as shades. As always, you save a lot of money (assuming you have the corsair weapons just lying around, which i had), especially if you want many of these guys. so far i am using 5, and i am pretty satisfied with that. still its about the same price as buying the metal versions, so any more i make will be pretty much for free :)

I actually painted these guys a few years ago, before i settled on this scheme. i did some repainting now to fit them in to my current theme, and just as the dark riders they are a bit tricky. Not much armour, so not much metal colors. However, i dont think they look out of place in the army. The paintjob isnt top notch, and it is pretty much only one or two highlights and a wash, but i figured it would take me very little time to incorporate these guys in to my current theme, so i did it. I chose not to put any blood on their weapons, since they are posed for shooting, and wouldnt have reached combat yet.

My lates project (as of this update. Ill most likely forget to change this text when i update next :P) Is 25 of the lovely Raging Heroes' Witch Elves. I have only painted one yet, and it takes an awful lot of time, but i am happy with the results. It is really hard to get the makeup job to look like anything else than a transvestite. I want them to have quite a bit of makeup on them, but it is a fine line to walk. I believe that this one is on the right side of the line, but i wouldnt be surprised if i end up with a bunch of shemales in the unit after all is said and done :P

Last edited by Lord tsunami on Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

reserved...
Rippermcguirl
Corsair

Post by Rippermcguirl »

Lookin' good, friend. I like the idea of a bunch of hard as nails Druchii using whips instead of swords. Makes them look much more dynamic and different from everyone elses DE. Color scheme looks great, too.
The best revenge for misfortune is success.
7th Ed. Druchii W-L-T-: 5-0-0
6th Ed. Druchii W-L-T: 10-2-1
Tzelok
Beastmaster

Post by Tzelok »

I reaaaaaally like the white/brown on the SDC. I may have to steal that colour scheme if I ever decide to get a second hydra!
Army Plog Below:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=63015

Scratch Built Druchii Tower:
http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=67976&highlight=

The League of Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

@Ripper
oh no, its not like all my models will have a whip, but Beastmaster's Scourge (and Whip of Agony) are very cheap and powerful weapons, so many characters will have em :)

@Tzelok
I have one finished (old) hydra with that scheme, and im putting the final touches on a new one right now. ill post the pics some time :)
Mdk
Slave on the Altar

Post by Mdk »

Well done Tsunami, you mannaged to c reate a great effect with an surprisingly simple colorscheme. Well done it looks verry good.
You’re a wreck, an accident.
Forget the freak, your just nature.
Keep the gun oiled, and the temple cleaned shiz
snort, and blaspheme, let the heads cool, and the
engine run. Because in the end, everything we do,
is just everything we’ve done.
Zerodth
Corsair

Post by Zerodth »

^crappy greenstuff cloake` its better then what i can manage... can only make normal cloakes.... how the hell do ppl make those SDCs??? : /

other then that, cool colours, like the whips ^^ iv started useing them aswell, as iv finaly found the damn thing in the army book:P
Sa`an`ishar

See my Warhammer album http://s828.photobucket.com/albums/zz20 ... 20Druchii/ most of them are still in prog^^ slow painter....
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Good idea with the Corsair bodies that has SDC with them. I never relied on Corsairs till now in 8th ed, I've forgotten their components and basically forgotten about them in the dark corner of my cabinet haha. I'll have to buy another box of Corsairs and Warriors for simple conversions, saves me thinking of sculpting SDC (aka Scarfs) on my characters to represent SDC haha.

I've been buying the new Masters and did simple additions, bending and swapping for a BSB and DL. DP was the same source as yours, I took the legs from the HE dragon, plopped it on and stuck the body of the Supreme Sorc on Cold One on. Now I'm trying to find a way to make a FEMALE master sit on a DP. Any ideas? :( I've failed miserably with WE models already.

Other than that, a good choice of dark colour scheme that's uncommon. And I like your comment about the BSB actually standing up right haha, it's SOOOOO TRUE!
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Thanks for the comments. Added pics of my hydra too.

@meteor
Tricky problem there. maybe you can do a torso switch and use the warrior boob-chest... or use GS and a head swap on another body? Perhaps something from the 40k dark eldar range?
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

I see mould lines ... :(
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Bump!

Added some RXBs and a Harpy to the original post.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

hmmm gargoyle as base for harpies eh? An interesting choice, not the approach I took though :P

and had you experimented with placing the shields behind the back of your RXBs?

Jacks -Shade

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

and had you experimented with placing the shields behind the back of your RXBs?
well yes. you just glue them on. no difficulty in it. i just wanted the front rank to look ready for an assult while the rear rank is reloading for a last volley :)
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

I do rather like your harpies... overall, did it cost you more than buying the metal models? I need some more of them ladies, and I might just steal that idea...

While whips look rather nice, I can't imagine them being much good in hand to hand combat (try parrying something with those...). I'd like to see more pictures!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

the harpies were actually cheaper this way than buying normal ones.

10 ghouls = 15£
10 tyranids = 17,50£
3.25£ per model

2 harpies = 8.50£
4.25£ per model

and with maelstrom prices its even cheaper. ESPECIALLY if you live in Sweden. GW count that one pound is worth 15 skr, but in reality its only 11.2 skr. that means that maelstrom is MUCH heaper than GW.

a box of warriors from maelstrom costs 183 skr, and if i go to the GW store i have to pat 270 skr. maelstrom forever! ;)

ps. they dont parry in close combat. they dodge or they die! :D
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

Lord Tsunami wrote:i just wanted the front rank to look ready for an assult while the rear rank is reloading for a last volley :)

Fair enough, I just find them weird to have their shields upright in front of them when they're firing. But if it's meant to be them readying for combat then it makes sense. :)

You actually just gave me an inspirational idea! Using the same concept but showing some models pulling their shields out from over their heads whilst some already have switched their RXB out for swords and shields for the front rank. I reckon it'll look pretty cool as a ranked up diorama for RXBs :D

Jacks -Shade

Equipment

Skills

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

Playa23
Corsair

Post by Playa23 »

I wonder what the color scheme used for the Harpy/gargoyle would look like on a hydra. Can you give me a short step-by-step on how you painted its skin (undercoat, paints and washes)?. Thanks ;)
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

harpy skin is very simple. i used the red "foundation paint" (cant remember name) as a base. then blended with fiery orange. first 60/40 and then 50/50. i finished with a thick wash with baal red/badab black about 70/30.
Aeth
Warrior

Post by Aeth »

I do like your harpie conversion mate, I may have to steal that idea. I've been trying to think of a way to kitbash gargoyles for ages :)
.........|\~
....\~| \
....|\./.\
.r/_\ /___\ç
.\======/¨
~~~~~~~~~

These are the voyages of the Black Arc Enterprise..........
Blaznak
Beastmaster

Post by Blaznak »

I love the harpy. Fantastic. I also love the first model with the beastmaster
xFallenx
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by xFallenx »

Those harpies are great!!
Oct 2013-Current: 3-2-0
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

I like the colourscheme, apart from the golden mailskirts..

The SDC-cloaks and the Hydra have a VERY nice colourscheme, IMO simply beautifull.
The conversions are also pretty neat (finally an idea for a Whip of Agony :P ). The banner of the BSB is also very nice painted!

Not really a fan of the DP master's paintjob.. Though the conversion again is nice.

The harpies are very interesting, you've taken a whole new aproach towards them, can't say for sure I like them, but they're certainly not bad.

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

Not really a fan of the DP master's paintjob..

Well, i did paint it in about an hour just to have something to put on that old pegasus :D
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Haha, I think we can forgive you then in that case :P , are you planning a repaint or do you want to paint other stuff first?

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Lord tsunami
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tsunami »

my plan is to get one regiment at a time to table top standard with my new colorscheme. it will take a while. i will probably make a new guy for the pegasus some time in the future, if im going to keep using him that is. but thats way ahead in the future :)